Why do you eat meat?

TravelSmarty

Because the doctor said so. Have not been a great flesh eater my entire life, but I try. Seafood of any kind and boneless, skinless chicken breast are favorites, but in small amounts. I have no qualms with those that really, really love meat. After all, I am the product of a meat eating family!

I was a vegetarian for about 7 months and lost weight (I am 5' 2" and 105 pounds on a good day) and lost about 4 pounds and felt icky and lethargic. I didn't miss meat's taste at all but the weight loss concerned me but was corrected once I started to eat a little meat again. About 75% of my meals are generally whole food and meatless but I eat enough meat to maintain my weight and feel better physically.

Morally and ethically, I want to be a vegetarian though I have no problems with those who feel differently.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

About 20 years or so ago, I really had issues with meat, and slaughter houses, hormones being fed to feed animals etc, and I made a valiant effort to become a vegetarian, ( not vegan, that would never work for me). I also knew that I had to replace my protein intake, and did so with tofu, nuts, beans, dairy products and eggs etc.

After about 3 days of said diet, I found myself quite "antsy" just like when I quit smoking. I was irritable, fidgety and having cravings! Day 4, I went to the market, and found myself in the meat section salivating! Neither chicken or fish would do, so I would end up with a nice thick cut of beef!

Next day, I felt guilty and would once again start my quest to become a vegetarian. Same routine would repeat itself. I finally gave up, and to this day continue to enjoy my "protein from meat", though not 7 days a week, but usually two or three times a week, this works for me !

I really think that we are all different, and some of us are meant to be meat eaters and others not. I also have come to terms with my feelings about meat production, though I still refuse to eat lamb or veal. That is just a personal thing with me, and I know it makes no sense to my vegetarian friends nor my non vegetarian friends. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived