No Accessible Rooms available - brainstorming...do-able??

Beth C

I have more family who are thinking about joining us on our next cruise (Royal Caribbean) but currently there aren't any available accessible rooms :( My aunt has had a Below knee amp (healthy and active) and uses a prosthesis so for the most part. The accessible room isn't an absolute requirement with the exception of the bathroom. I'm trying to wrap my head around whether it would be feasible (and safe) for her to sail in a 'regular' room. What we are thinking is that she could get into the bathroom with her leg on, get into 'position' using a shower chair in the shower (we'd rent or just buy one before boarding ship) and take the leg off and shower.

At nighttime if she had to get up (at home she uses her walker and hops to the bathroom). With the lip at the doorway and the size of the bathroom this most likely wouldn't be an option.

Can anyone think of any other potential problems in a regular stateroom and any ideas around the bathroom issue?

There's no way to get a shower chair comfortably in a non-accessible cabin shower, if at all. Most are very tiny and won't accommodate a chair. The step up into a regular cabin can be very high, depending on the ship. It's not just a quick hop. The other problems are no grab bars anywhere in the bathroom and if it's bouncy seas, that could be a potential hazard. It's just not a safe idea with an amputee, sorry.

I've not sailed on Royal Carribean but have sailed in a non-accessible room. I was able to use a shower chair (provided by the line) BUT the shower had a curtain. If it didn't have a curtain the chair would not have fit. My disability has progressed to the point that the step up into the bath has become a problem. What I would do was position the shower chair at the entrance to the bath, facing the room. I would sit on the chair, scoot it backward and then stand. I then would use the toilet or put the chair into the shower. It was difficult for the entire cruise and I would not recommend it. Could you wait list for an accessible cabin?

In addition to what others have already posted as issues, there are other issues ,not just the step into the bathroom, that would prohibit the use of a walker. The doorway into the bathroom is not wide enough for a walker to fit through nor is there enough room in the bathroom to even move about with a walker.

Unfortunately this ship (Rhapsody) only has about a 1/2 dozen accessible rooms so i'm guessing the wait list is already pretty long being that it's a longer cruise too (typically an older crowd). They're not totally committed to going and knew I would get some honest responses from the CC crowd. I myself didn't think it would be a good idea but she seemed to think it'd be manageable (has never cruised before)... don't even want to mention the whole tender thing yet!

Unfortunately this ship (Rhapsody) only has about a 1/2 dozen accessible rooms so i'm guessing the wait list is already pretty long being that it's a longer cruise too (typically an older crowd). They're not totally committed to going and knew I would get some honest responses from the CC crowd. I myself didn't think it would be a good idea but she seemed to think it'd be manageable (has never cruised before)... don't even want to mention the whole tender thing yet!

Don't assume anything . Suggest you go ahead and get waitlisted for an HC cabin . According to your post the cruise isn't until May 2013. Rooms can open up at any time between now and immediately after the final payment period. For example the cruise I'm on in december I had booked one of the last HC cabins before final payment. Since the final payment period has past I have watched several HC cabins come and go each week. My point being anything can happen.

Unfortunately this ship (Rhapsody) only has about a 1/2 dozen accessible rooms quote]

Just so no one else reading this thread is mislead to beleive that there are only about 1/2 dozen accessible cabins, the Rhapsody actually has 14 Accessible Cabins . Here's the list http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ports/accessibilityFeatures.do?pagename=accessible_staterooms_popup_RH

ATTN BETH C

Checked RCCL's website this morning for the 5/11/13 Rhapsody sailing and it shows that there is are 2 Outside Accessible Cabins available. # 2102 and #2602

Check for yourself http://www.royalcaribbean.com/booking/setCategory.do?stateroomCategoryChoice=Large Ocean View Strm Access~~AY~~O~~LA~~BRKC01~~false

Just checked an o nline site and found the same two cabins. Sometimes, you can't be choosey...EM

I didn't get a chance to reply earlier but thanks for the heads up!

they must have had cancellations since they weren't showing the other day nor when i called to see if anything was available that wasn't on the website. I snagged one of the 2 accessible OV's left on courtesy hold since they'll decide in the next day or 2 if they're going for sure....

Can't get it through the newbies heads its a book now, think later situation they're in... and maybe a Stroke of luck... If they had booked back when we all did they could have piggybacked on my next cruise certificate and only have to shell out a $200 deposit rather than $1000 and they would also have the $150 OBC too!

Sent from my Speak & Spell using Tapatalk

There's no way to get a shower chair comfortably in a non-accessible cabin shower, if at all. Most are very tiny and won't accommodate a chair. The step up into a regular cabin can be very high, depending on the ship. It's not just a quick hop. The other problems are no grab bars anywhere in the bathroom and if it's bouncy seas, that could be a potential hazard. It's just not a safe idea with an amputee, sorry.

I can only but disagree with this post.

I'm a wheelchair user and short distance walker with crutches. I can't feel or move anything below the knee. I can't stand without anything to prop on 'cos my glutes don't work. Oh, and I'm old, creaky and fat. I could go for an accesible cabin, but always leave them for others on the basis that I can manage.

Here's how it works........... I book a shower stool with the cruise line. I usually get one (only Cunard failed once, because they were all booked up). If not, they are always avaible for hire or travel versions can be purcahsed. Yes, if the shower is a bit snug it is a bit of a problem, but shower curtains are better than inward folding glass doors like on our last voyage. I don't find a problem with no grab bars, because I can use the walls to prop against. Someone more unsure could take some portable sucker grabrails with them; those babies stick like glue.

The step of 2-3 inches into a bathroom shouldn't trouble the majority of walkers and hoppers.

At the end of the day, it all comes down to the particular cabin grade and the particular individual. It also depends on if you have someone around to share a helping hand. We usually go upmarket to a suite, which provides more room for the chair and all the other rubbish I bring, but conversly makes the bathroom more of a chore because the walls are further apart so I sometimes walk around the edges like a drunk at throwing out time. In a non-accessible hotel room with a shower, I sometimes take the mighty step into the shower and stand there while my DW washes me down.

I'm pleased that the OP is sorted, but I would advise anyone in the same circumstances who looks this post up at some future date to look up a cabin floorplan and figure out what the obstacles will be and how insurmountable any of them are going to be. A blanket "no that won't work" is the wrong reply for my money.

How about double elbow canes for moving in bathroom. I use them but have MS (not amputee). My left leg is very weak. I use canes in the room (have accessible room). This way she can remove the prostatic limb while sitting on the bed or chair and then go and sit on the stool and shower.

he/she can try this at home a few times to see how while it works.

They're booked... FINALLY... and in an accessible!!

One more question - hopefully someone subscribed to this thread and will see this.

Is there any documentation that has to be provided at this time as to why she needs the accessible stateroom?

How about double elbow canes for moving in bathroom. I use them but have MS (not amputee). My left leg is very weak. I use canes in the room (have accessible room). This way she can remove the prostatic limb while sitting on the bed or chair and then go and sit on the stool and shower.

he/she can try this at home a few times to see how while it works.

Refer to post #10 ...... OP advised that she was able place a booking hold on an accessible cabin.

Refer to post #13 ...... OP advised that that her aunt actually booked the accessible cabin that the OP placed on hold.

They're booked... FINALLY... and in an accessible!!

One more question - hopefully someone subscribed to this thread and will see this.

Is there any documentation that has to be provided at this time as to why she needs the accessible stateroom?

Yes there are 2 things that your Aunt has to do.

1. Initially your Aunt has to complete the RCCL Special Needs form. Here's the link https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/guestSpecialNeeds.do Because you Aunt needs a zero threshold bathroom and an a zero threshold shower with a seat she needs to check YES for the need of Rollin Shower. Also she needs to check the next line which states "I require an accessible stateroom because I have a mobility disability or other disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the stateroom."
  2. At the time your Aunt completes her ON-Line Checkin she will have to certify her need for having booked an accessible cabin. If she doesn't complete this when doing the On-Line Checkin RCCL has the legal right, under the new US Federal Law that became effective on 1/1/12 ,to reassign her to a standard cabin. Below is the wording contained in the On-Line Checkin process.
    • Certify that a guest in my reservation has a mobility or other disability that requires the use of an accessible stateroom. Please check this box so that we have verified your need for the accessible stateroom. It may be possible that you have legitimately booked an accessible stateroom (for example, all non-accessible staterooms were sold out and you were offered an accessible stateroom), in which case you do not need to check this box

• 2 weeks later...
I have been in several inside cabins on RCCL and their regular inside cabins are extremely tiny. No room.

We had an inside accessible Cabin on RCL Radiance and it was HUGE !! Mind you it was on deck 2, but that worked out really well...no elevator waits for us when leaving our deck :p. We loved it...I had room enough to turn my mobility scooter around in the room...and had automatic doors..Hubby complained to the TV was too far away from the bed !! So I guess they are all different.

Archived