Whale Watching With Kids?

travln1234

So, I wanted to book my first choice company for my DD and myself while in Juneau when I found out they won't book kids under 13 unless you charter the whole boat. Just 2 of us, so I'm not doing that.

Any suggestions for whale watching tours in Alaska who take kids? She'll be 7, nearly 8. We'll be in Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, Seward (not my first choice), and Icy Straight Point. Here I told her we'd go look for whales, and now I'm afraid that may not be an option.

Thanks!

I highly recommend Orca Enterprises in Juneau. We had a fabulous time with them this summer!

We also had a good experience with Orca several years ago with our then 5 & 9 yr old DS's. Bring along something to keep your DD occupied in case the whales are a bit elusive.

We were on Radiance of the Seas just last week and we booked the whale watching tour through RCL and it was the best excursion of our entire cruise. My 9 and 6 year old children loved the experience. Binoculars are provided by the tour company. The tour boat is pretty big. When there aren't any actions to be viewed, they sought the windowed interior for comfort and free hot chocolate. The naturalist on board kept the information coming, so there was no chance to be bored even for the kids.

So, I wanted to book my first choice company for my DD and myself while in Juneau when I found out they won't book kids under 13 unless you charter the whole boat. Just 2 of us, so I'm not doing that.

Any suggestions for whale watching tours in Alaska who take kids? She'll be 7, nearly 8. We'll be in Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, Seward (not my first choice), and Icy Straight Point. Here I told her we'd go look for whales, and now I'm afraid that may not be an option.

Thanks!

We had a similar situation 6 years ago, and ended up finding a family on our roll call with a son (5) just a year older than my daughter (4) and we booked th boat together. It was a smaller boat and the tour was great! I know there's no guarantee that you can find someone to book with you, but it worked out well for us. The kids met early in the cruise at a meet and greet, and spent time together in the Fun Factory (Celebrity)!so they were comfortable with one another and kept each other occupied during the excursion.

Good luck, and have fun!

Archived