Brilliance B2B- turn around in San Juan ???'s

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

#1
1,036 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
We will be on a B2B on Brilliance in a few weeks. We have sailed from and called on San Juan before, but never done a B2B. The turn around day will present us with a rare opportunity: a full day in San Juan! Here's my question: once we get off the ship, what is the procedure for getting back on? Do we have to wait in line with the new, embarking passengers? Is there a line for guests that are already checked in and are coming back on board? Any info would be appreciated!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jim

174 Days at Sea with Royal Caribbean 031217
#2
Toronto, Canada
16,466 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
Originally posted by audome78
We will be on a B2B on Brilliance in a few weeks. We have sailed from and called on San Juan before, but never done a B2B. The turn around day will present us with a rare opportunity: a full day in San Juan! Here's my question: once we get off the ship, what is the procedure for getting back on? Do we have to wait in line with the new, embarking passengers? Is there a line for guests that are already checked in and are coming back on board? Any info would be appreciated!
Hi Jim!!! We are headed to the AOS on another B2b next Sunday!!!
As for turnaround day in San Juan.....you will be issued an In Transit card that will allow you to disembark the ship without having to present yourself at Customs. This card also allows you back on the ship - remember to take your passports too! As far as I know, there is not a separate line up for checked in guests - but if you time it just right, you can ensure you miss the big lines!

Have a fabulous cruise!!!! Hope to see you on a ship again soon!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature




32 cruises on Royal Caribbean ships so far!
Adventure x 14 Radiance x 2 Freedom x 8 Mariner x 2 Explorer x 1 Liberty x 2 Independence x 2 Allure x 1




Diamond Plus C&A Member
#3
Central Illinois
103,716 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Originally posted by audome78
We will be on a B2B on Brilliance in a few weeks. We have sailed from and called on San Juan before, but never done a B2B. The turn around day will present us with a rare opportunity: a full day in San Juan! Here's my question: once we get off the ship, what is the procedure for getting back on? Do we have to wait in line with the new, embarking passengers? Is there a line for guests that are already checked in and are coming back on board? Any info would be appreciated!
On Adventure, we were given "in-transit" cards so we could bypass check-in upon returning to the ship. Every ship is different, however you should get a letter detailing the specific process on Brilliance.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bob

Past Cruises

Celebrity: Mercury
RCCL: Adventure, Allure, Brilliance, Enchantment, Explorer, Freedom, Independence, Legend, Liberty, Majesty, Mariner, Monarch, Navigator, Oasis, Radiance, Rhapsody, Serenade, Sovereign, Vision, Voyager
#4
UK
758 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
We've recently completed a brilliance back to back in San Juan. We were given a guest in transit pass and a new sea pass card the day before. We were all given a time that we had to leave the ship if we planned to do this independently. We got off the ship at the allotted time. The in transit pass allowed us to bypass the queues at immigration. We took a taxi to San Cristobal.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sailed on

2006 RCI Voyager of seas.
2007 RCI Splendour of the seas
2008 RCI Brilliance of the seas.
2009 Celebrity Solstice
2010 RCI Independence of the Seas
2011 Carnival Victory. Caribbean.
2012 RCI Liberty of the Seas
2012 December RCI Brilliance of the Seas. Xmas and New Year Cruises. Caribbean.
2013 Celebrity Eclipse. Baltic
2013 Navigator of the Seas- med.
Aug 2014 Celebrity Reflection
Nov 2014 Celebrity Solstice. New Zealand/Australia
May 2015. Celebrity Infinity. Alaska
Sept 2015. HAL Ryndam. Norway
Oct 2015. AMA Romantic Danube.
Jan/Feb 2016. Celebrity Equinox. Ultimate Caribbean
June 2016 P&O Britannia Canaries and Madeira
Oct. 2016. Celebrity Summit. Canada and New England.
Jan 2017. Celebrity Constellation. India and Sri Lanka
Planned:
Jan/Feb 2018 Celebrity Constellation Thailand & Vietnam / Vietnam & Philippines.
June 2018. P&O Azura. Scotland/Iceland/Ireland.
#5
VA, MD & FL
6,170 Posts
Joined Apr 2006
Originally posted by ckrobyn
Hi Jim!!! We are headed to the AOS on another B2b next Sunday!!!
As for turnaround day in San Juan.....you will be issued an In Transit card that will allow you to disembark the ship without having to present yourself at Customs. This card also allows you back on the ship - remember to take your passports too! As far as I know, there is not a separate line up for checked in guests - but if you time it just right, you can ensure you miss the big lines!...
Does "disembark[ing] the ship without having to present yourself at Customs" mean no interaction with any Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) agent upon disembarking? I've never had that experience at any US port where passengers were terminating [I've terminated in San Juan, but I've never done a B2B there (but have done a number of B2Bs at other US and non-US ports)]. Are you required to show a passport to re-board the ship even though you have an in-transit card? If no, then what does a US citizen need a passport for?
#6
Central Illinois
103,716 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Originally posted by TravelerThom
Does "disembark[ing] the ship without having to present yourself at Customs" mean no interaction with any Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) agent upon disembarking? I've never had that experience at any US port where passengers were terminating [I've terminated in San Juan, but I've never done a B2B there (but have done a number of B2Bs at other US and non-US ports)]. Are you required to show a passport to re-board the ship even though you have an in-transit card? If no, then what does a US citizen need a passport for?
When we did out B2B on Adventure, we showed our passports to CBP even though we had the "in-transit" card.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bob

Past Cruises

Celebrity: Mercury
RCCL: Adventure, Allure, Brilliance, Enchantment, Explorer, Freedom, Independence, Legend, Liberty, Majesty, Mariner, Monarch, Navigator, Oasis, Radiance, Rhapsody, Serenade, Sovereign, Vision, Voyager
#7
VA, MD & FL
6,170 Posts
Joined Apr 2006
Originally posted by clarea
When we did out B2B on Adventure, we showed our passports to CBP even though we had the "in-transit" card.
Thanks, Bob. Was a CBP Form 6059B Customs Declaration required? I've always had to submit one of those in the middle of B2Bs at Port Everglades, Port Canaveral, etc. even though I was carrying nothing off of the ship.

Thom
#8
Central Illinois
103,716 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Originally posted by TravelerThom
Thanks, Bob. Was a CBP Form 6059B Customs Declaration required? I've always had to submit one of those in the middle of B2Bs at Port Everglades, Port Canaveral, etc. even though I was carrying nothing off of the ship.

Thom
I don't recall. I've always filled it out between B2B's, and sometimes they want it and sometimes they don't. Most recently, last December in Ft. Lauderdale, they did not want the form between B2B's.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bob

Past Cruises

Celebrity: Mercury
RCCL: Adventure, Allure, Brilliance, Enchantment, Explorer, Freedom, Independence, Legend, Liberty, Majesty, Mariner, Monarch, Navigator, Oasis, Radiance, Rhapsody, Serenade, Sovereign, Vision, Voyager
#9
edmonton ab can
207 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
Originally posted by audome78
We will be on a B2B on Brilliance in a few weeks. We have sailed from and called on San Juan before, but never done a B2B. The turn around day will present us with a rare opportunity: a full day in San Juan! Here's my question: once we get off the ship, what is the procedure for getting back on? Do we have to wait in line with the new, embarking passengers? Is there a line for guests that are already checked in and are coming back on board? Any info would be appreciated!
We just got off a BTB last week. Meet the day before with staff and they gave us complete information on procedures and new Seapass Card. We had to disembark ourselves before 9:30 am and not return until after 11:00 am or do a staff escorted disembarkation and return at around 10:30 am. You need the intransit paper they give you at your meeting and your new Seapass card and your passport. You also need your existing Seapass card to disembark the existing cruise.

We walked off we did not need to do an immigration form because we were returning. We had to go thru immigration agents and then exit the terminal building.

The ship gave us a lovely lunch in Chops Dinning Room we had to arrive between 12 and 12:30 to partipate. They gave us the times at the day before meeting.

When we arrived back at the terminal we just showed our intransit paper and passport and were able to walk in. you can buy more wine from the liquor store inside terminal building and just reboard with our new Seapass card.

Everything is simple they do this week after week and have it fine tuned for us.

The liquor store in the terminal has wine, hard liquor (which you cannot have until after the cruise if you buy it) cases of water and pop. Water was around $5 for 12 and pop was around $8 but we did not have to pack it into a taxi and the into the terminal it was less carrying distance for the bit extra $. Wine was close to prices in San Juan.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature