Delivery option for soda card

monkeedee2

I want to order our soda cards (prepay as much of our trip as i can). It has two delivery options: dining or stateroom-at sea. What is the difference? I couldn't find a description of them. Would like them shortly after boarding so we can use them if we like...Thanks for any help you give!

Any beverage card we order we request delivery at sea to avoid the tax:)

They've all been in our room every time when we arrived:)

Worst case scenario, they are delivered shortly after you arrive.

Our beverage cards were waiting for us in our stateroom, but ordering for delivery "at sea" didn't allow us to avoid the taxes.

The value of the card was $250...and that is exactly what we paid for it. But every drink ordered on embarkation day while tied up at the pier was charged NY sales tax. The fact that it was charged to a drink card ordered "at sea" didn't matter; everyone paid the tax.

Our beverage cards were waiting for us in our stateroom, but ordering for delivery "at sea" didn't allow us to avoid the taxes.

The value of the card was $250...and that is exactly what we paid for it. But every drink ordered on embarkation day while tied up at the pier was charged NY sales tax. The fact that it was charged to a drink card ordered "at sea" didn't matter; everyone paid the tax.

Maybe that is a NY thing.

Wish I could remember if we were charged a tax in Florida when we used our Beverage Card while still at the dock.

Maybe that is a NY thing.

Wish I could remember if we were charged a tax in Florida when we used our Beverage Card while still at the dock.

+

I know when we sailed from Baltimore two years ago, we paid MD taxes too.

Its as if "as long as you are tethered to our land, you will pay" is what applied.

Yes indeed - if you order drinks inside the 'boundaries' of certain ports the tax has to be charged on the drinks there. (usually there is a note in the Daily Explorer).

The big difference is that tax was not charged on your beverage card. (ie. the whole $250-) If you had ordered your card delivered to your cabin you would have been charged tax on it as well as in the ports when you ordered drink (depending upon the ports of course):)

Yes indeed - if you order drinks inside the 'boundaries' of certain ports the tax has to be charged on the drinks there. (usually there is a note in the Daily Explorer).

The big difference is that tax was not charged on your beverage card. (ie. the whole $250-) If you had ordered your card delivered to your cabin you would have been charged tax on it as well as in the ports when you ordered drink (depending upon the ports of course):)

Except I did order the $250 to be delivered to the cabin in port...and only paid $250. No tax.

I don't think its any different than a 'gift card' purchase, exchanging cash for a 'credit' card. No tax is charged until the funds on the card are actually used for something.

Except I did order the $250 to be delivered to the cabin in port...and only paid $250. No tax.

I don't think its any different than a 'gift card' purchase, exchanging cash for a 'credit' card. No tax is charged until the funds on the card are actually used for something.

Things might have changed - but it also depends on the port you are leaving from. I know when my friends ordered their beverage cards for delivery in the cabin they would have been charged tax (they changed it to at sea) (we were leaving from Fort Lauderdale).

I just find it safer to follow the old rule of thumb and order at sea;)

I ordered my beverage card to be delivered "at sea" for our Oosterdam cruise out of Seattle last year. It was in the cabin, ready for use, and I purchased my first drink with it when we were still tied up to the dock in Seattle. No taxes charged.

Archived