Does anyone else have a pet that pouts?

cruzdirector

I've got three children errrr dogs that hate to see the suitcases out they know there going to the doctors for boarding. I caught one trying to sabotage our plans one time buy chewing on the garment bag:eek: . We don't have kids so the dogs are our life so to speak. Its funny how you miss the rythum of having your pets around.

Seeeuuuuu

Jeff

doesn't react much to the packing - he knows a cat sitter will be comming over to stay and keep the food dish full and the litter box empty.

When I get back home he is sure to "punnish" me for having been gone to long. He will come running, then stop just out of reach and turn his back. For a couple of hours he will follow me around - just out of reach - and making sure I have to make an effort to come over and pet him. Next stage - sitting on my feet if I am standing still, or sitting on my lap if I have sat down anywhere. I think, he thinks this will keep me from going away to long again.

Lucky for me a few generous handfulls of his favorite treats will usualy pull him out of his snit by bed time.

Yes, he does have me well trained.

You wouldn't believe the lengths my Mom goes thru to keep her dog from knowing they will be leaving again! She hides the suitcases in the spare room and she makes a grooming appointment for the day she plans to pack everything so he won't have to witness what is going on! Murphy still figures it out and punishes her for days before and after. Won't sit on her lap and will hide under the dining room table. Unbelievable!

I have to sneak into the spare bedroom, close the door and pack so that my doxies won't see the bags. I then have to either wait until they are snuggled down in bed the night before take the bags out to the car or I have to take them out about two or three days before so they will have time to forget. Paddlefoot will work himself into such a frenzy that he usually has a seizure before I go. I really don't think kids could be as much trouble!

our Angel a little Maltease. She is 6 years old and has never been seperated from both of us at one time. We just never go anywhere overnight if she don't go. We have taken her on every vacation since we got her. Last year when I was in the hospital for 4 days dh had a time with her at night because she is used to sleeping with me and I was not there. We are going on a 7 day cruise in June and driving from VA to Fla and back so we will be gone about 2 weeks. My neice is going to keep Angel and I know she will do a good job with her, but I sometimes think if we could have somebody stay in the house it would be better for her to be in familiar territory still giving it some thought....anyone have any ideas? I really hate to leave her, but there is no way she can go.

CJ

limpygirl

I have two dogs and one is a 5 year old male Maltese named Buddy. I've had dogs all my life and I've got to say that this little guy is my favorite (I love my other dog) but there is just something about a Maltese. I wish I had discovered this breed a long time ago. I tried a kennel once with bad results and a pet sitter (who didn't show up at the last minute) and now I only go on vacation if one of my two grown kids can come to my house and take care of them. They both have dogs themselves, but we can't take them to their houses for different reasons...my son has a Pug and he doesn't get along with my two male dogs and at my daughter's house, she has two female dogs, but no fence. They do much better if they are in their own home and someone can come and live with them or let them out and feed them several times a day. That's the only thing I hate about taking a cruise, I miss my dogs and I feel guilty even packing, because they know what's going to happen and they get mad at me.....won't come to me when I call them and things like that. Good Luck. Maltese are special little dogs and I love all dogs.

Happy Cruising....Sparkle 10

Limpygirl

Our little dog is half maltese half poodle, but she is not the typical white dog. She is more black/ gray mix. (Super cute, if I can so myself.) any way, if your niece can't stay at your house, make sure to bring your doggies favorite toy and maybe a t-shirt of yours or something that has your scent on it so she feels more secure. When we travel we usually take our dog to my parent's house (her resort) and bring a ticking clock or small radio. She always has a radio on while we are not at home. She seems to adjust pretty well, but she sure likes it when we get home. Any way, good luck and happy, safe travels.

What a wonderful thread... My cocker, Gypsy, hates to see the suitcases. She runs all around the house in a panic and will not let us out of her sight. Then she will sit by the door saying "you are not going without me". Most of the time, we take her to my parents (gran and papa) who absolutely adore and spoil her. She is so excited to get in the car and go. Sometimes my cousin will stay and we have to walk out the door with her standing there pouting. Very hard to do. She will be 100 (17 in dog years) May 30th.

I dont have pets that pout, my two daughters (11/4) are another story. The oldest has been on one cruise, the youngest has not. They both were a handful when we went on our cruise two weeks ago. Now when the Carnival commercial comes on, they both come running into the living room. They will have to wait until Oct to go.

Dave

My two fildren (feathered or furred children) are parrots. Leaving them is awful, but we usually get a housesitter that we train for parrots (and call every day - we're such wusses). Last time we went on a cruise, we got home around 8PM to have our African Grey say as soon as she saw us, "It's OhhhKaaayaaaaay" in the most pitiful voice:( . The next day, they're both "Velcro" birds and won't get off our shoulders! ;) Once we drag out the suitcases, the questions start - "Whatcha doin'? Whazzat? You OK?" etc. They know - boy, do they know.

My husband travels quite a lot for his job but still when he leaves our dog (Molly) will lay in his parking spot in the driveway the first day he is gone. Last week I happened to go overnight to visit our DD and my DH said Molly kept looking for me all night and finally collapsed on the floor by my side of the bed.

We are lucky to have my parents who are in good health and willing to watch Molly while we vacation. (We also watch their dog when they go out of town.) Even so when we pack her up to go she will be very sad and when we turn the corner to their house she knows what's coming. She will "guard" the door and won't let us leave their house. Last time my Mom had to hold her down (not easy as Molly weighs in at 95 lbs.) and we had to run for the front door. Molly will lay by their back door the entire time we are gone. :rolleyes: It's pretty pathetic.

What a great thread....Lucy hates suitcases!!:( She will give me those big brown eyes and look like she is going to cry. My daughter lives next door with my 3 grandchildren, they babysit. They come over @ least once a day, every day so it's not like Lucy is going to a strange dog sitter. I guess it's just not mommy/daddy. Sometimes I get embarrased the way we treat our Lucy & Misty (the cat). But then I hear or read that other people are more goofy than we are. I don't care, they are my babies.:D

I am a sucker for dogs and cats....post more, this thread is so cute.:)

:confused: :D :confused: That didn't sound right....my daughter lives next door....they come over everyday when we are home. When we go on vacation, Lucy stays at her house day & night. And for Misty, she is happy to stay at home, but is desperate for comany when we leave. I just wanted to clear that up in case someone thought...well...that Lucy only goes out once a day.:) :rolleyes:

Well I have two Greyhounds....and one of them is very outgoing and demanding. He puts all 80 pounds of himself in our big suitcase, spins around for comfort, and manges to sit in the suitcase. :) I guess that is his way of protesting whenever we leave. The other one just whines.

Our two furry children, Lucy & Murphy (cats) are complete opposites. We just started pulling out our luggage this past weekend for our upcoming cruise, Murphy just looked at the luggage like, what's that? Lucy gets very very upset when she sees the luggage. She was already pouting the other night...normally once they are packed she lays on top of them like she can stop us from going. I've already cried a couple of times that I will miss them. My boyfriend's mother watches them for us at our place.

We have six fur babies....two dogs..three cats and a hamster...they just pout when they see the suitcases..well not the hamster...they are all well taken care of..dd..who is 20 or our neighbors...anyway..they really are standofish when we come home..like who are you?...but..my old buddy teddy our orange tabby who was ten when we had to put him to sleep this last sept..had his own ritual...he would pee on the luggage...after a couple of times and lots of money...had to hide the luggage...what a silly cat...He was like...I will show you for leaving me....:(

We have six fur babies....two dogs..three cats and a hamster...they just pout when they see the suitcases..well not the hamster...they are all well taken care of..dd..who is 20 or our neighbors...anyway..they really are standofish when we come home..like who are you?...but..my old buddy teddy our orange tabby who was ten when we had to put him to sleep this last sept..had his own ritual...he would pee on the luggage...after a couple of times and lots of money...had to hide the luggage...what a silly cat...He was like...I will show you for leaving me....:(

Funny story. Sorry for your loss. My babies are 9 & 8 and I dread the day I have to make a decision like that. I hope you have a lot of wonderful memories.

Thank you..yes my memories will last forever..he was everyones favorite cat..loved all....i still have his coller and my youngest cat. likes to carry it around and snuggle with it...:( I love animals..they are family and they love you as much as you love them. We do not own them..they own us:)

Archived