Tips on using iPhone on cruise ships

dafuser

Nice article how to use your iPhone or iPod Touch while cruising and avoiding getting a expensive phone bill when you get home.

http://www.tuaw.com/2009/07/04/iphones-ahoy-making-calls-on-cruise-ships-updated/

I put mine into AirPlane mode and turn off data fetch then use it like a iPod and use the ships Internet Cafe if I need to send emails. I don't need to get a huge phone bill after returning from my cruise.

Nice article how to use your iPhone or iPod Touch while cruising and avoiding getting a expensive phone bill when you get home.

http://www.tuaw.com/2009/07/04/iphones-ahoy-making-calls-on-cruise-ships-updated/

I put mine into AirPlane mode and turn off data fetch then use it like a iPod and use the ships Internet Cafe if I need to send emails. I don't need to get a huge phone bill after returning from my cruise.

Be aware that any cell phone used from the ship and connecting through the ships ( to make phone calls or send e-mail, etc.) tower is charge the current rate that is about $3.00 per minute.

Be aware that any cell phone used from the ship and connecting through the ships ( to make phone calls or send e-mail, etc.) tower is charge the current rate that is about $3.00 per minute.

The article states an IPHONE runs about $.79 a minute from at sea ... do you have an Iphone that was charged $3.00 per minute???

Is the article incorrect? It is recent ... I am confused ....

The article states an IPHONE runs about $.79 a minute from at sea ... do you have an Iphone that was charged $3.00 per minute???

I have AT&T and have always been charged $2.49 per minute when using the ships tower.

The 79 cents a minute may be in addition to the $2.49 a minute the ship's cell tower charges. It does not make any sense that one type of phone would cost less to use than another.

The 79 cents a minute may be in addition to the $2.49 a minute the ship's cell tower charges. It does not make any sense that one type of phone would cost less to use than another.

It's not about the phone itself ... it's about your service contract

here is MY answer ... regarding my contract.

"Q. Assuming I can use the phone, how much does it cost to make or receive a phone call?

A. You'll be using the "roaming" rate. In most cases, the standard rate is $2.29 per minute (or $2.49 on a cruise ship). However, as an iPhone owner, AT&T gives you its discounted "World Traveler" rate of only $1.69 per minute. "

best to call or email to get an answer for yourself.

It's $2.49 a minute.

Thanks for the link to the article, but it really doesn't give much info that most CC readers haven't seen before.

Yes, the speed of WiFi on ship is incredibly slow. Given that, why would one purchase the biggest package of minutes they can afford ?? An Internet Cafe in port is a much better option.

Make sure Data Roaming is turned off on an iPhone (settings/general/network/data roaming) or you will get a monster bill if you use the phone while out to sea or in a foreign port.

I have ATT and an IPhone. I have an International Rate Plan included in my billing. I have 2 ATT monthly bills that show $2.49 a minute and no other charges.

While at sea "Cellular at Sea" is your cell service. When you use your phone you are using Cellular at Sea cell tower equipment. Since you are using their equipment and not ATT, there is an additional roaming charge. I do not know the contract rate but the total bill from both services are $2.49 a minute. (I was told that ATT charges $.99 a minute then the rest is $1.50 from Cellular at Sea.) Att pays Cellular at Sea for your service.

Texting is $.50 to send and free to receive.

I was told that ATT charges $.99 a minute then the rest is $1.50 from Cellular at Sea.

Just about everyone is reporting bills of $2.49 a minute, which seems like the least amount possible.

If you look at this page, showing AT&T fees for Carnival ships, it's just $2.49 a minute.

What about using the web on the itouch? Will i be able to use it on the ship or will i have diffuculty connecting?

If you mean an Ipod Touch then it should function just like a laptop (but with a weaker wifi antenna. The normal charges would apply.

If you use the web you will be data roaming, which is very expensive. They charge you per KB of internet use, which adds up quickly. I just got off the phone with ATT and put mine on a data plan that will let me use wi-fi for $24.99 while on the trip, instead of paying per use for the KB.

It's not about the phone itself ... it's about your service contract

here is MY answer ... regarding my contract.

"Q. Assuming I can use the phone, how much does it cost to make or receive a phone call?

A. You'll be using the "roaming" rate. In most cases, the standard rate is $2.29 per minute (or $2.49 on a cruise ship). However, as an iPhone owner, AT&T gives you its discounted "World Traveler" rate of only $1.69 per minute. "

best to call or email to get an answer for yourself.

Please make sure you don't have a World Traveler rate plan on your acct. I work for the company and have NEVER seen this low of a rate and yes I have gotten the calls but I was told and when started looking the correct plan was NOT on the package.

• 2 years later...

Good thread...OK, Im a little slow and new to the iphone universe on cruises..my first cruise...

- If I have JUST have a regular phone plan w/ 250 data plan and unlimited text and Im on the ship....i turn roaming off, got that part....how much would it cost me to text friend on the ship? or on shore overseas?

-I like using the iphone camera...would it cost to just turn the phone on to take a picture or three?

thanks for response

Jim

Good thread...OK, Im a little slow and new to the iphone universe on cruises..my first cruise...

- If I have JUST have a regular phone plan w/ 250 data plan and unlimited text and Im on the ship....i turn roaming off, got that part....how much would it cost me to text friend on the ship? or on shore overseas?

-I like using the iphone camera...would it cost to just turn the phone on to take a picture or three?

thanks for response

Jim

I went on the Legend last year for the first time with my iphone. I turned my "data roaming off" so that if necessary someone could still call my phone, or text me. I wouldnt necessarily respond but just incase. You can put it on airplane mode if you dont want to receive calls/texts. I could also play games on my phone. ex: words with friends. I also took pictures. My bill wasnt too bad when I got home. My mom was actually in Mexico while I was on my cruise, so we texted a few times. Free to receive-50 cents to send. So just be careful. Pretty sure when it was all said and done my normal bill is 92 bucks, I maybe paid around 100. Hope this helps!

I have used my iphone for texts many times on the cruise. I have at&t also. I am charged 50cents for each text both sent AND recieved.

Hi Julienatul... you might want to call AT&T and ask them for credit for the texts that you received. You're not supposed to get charged $0.50 for it. Incoming texts gets applied to your text plan if you have one or the regular local text rate which is around $0.20 per text. You can use this link to back up your claim.

Archived