Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Crystal Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Crystal Cruises
Read Crystal Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Crystal Cruise Deals.

Register for a Cruise Critic/Crystal Cruises Meet & Mingle

Need to make a change or addition to your Meet & Mingle registration? Update Your Meet & Mingle Registration

GO TO: Crystal ROLL CALL Forums

Old July 25th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Birthday Celebration for Hubby on the Symphony

Dave and I are sailing on 7221 (RT Dover) with 3 other couples to celebrate his 70th birthday. I'd love to get some great ideas on ways we can celebrate in style on the ship.

I've already reserved a table at Prego for the "party" and will be sure to have them chill the Prosecco, etc. We will also do a Vintage Dinner one night, but I'd love to hear how others have made it a fun Birthday cruise!

What have you done? I've know they will make any cake you like...Dave is a big fan of chocolate. Any favorites we should request? Judith, I know you have a favorite - what is the name?

I've heard they will decorate the stateroom, etc. What I'd really like is an invitation for Dave to go on the bridge during a sail away. What are our chances for that?

Thanks in advance for your input! I'm looking forward to all the wonderful ideas.

Old July 25th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile T Shirts

Colorful Shirts for all your friends to wear on a casual sea day with a high school picture of your husband.

Old July 25th, 2007, 06:44 PM
50,000+ Club

Congratulations on Dave's Birthday Celebration. How special to be celebrating a cruise with other friends.

Just a couple of suggestions.

Normally in the main dining room the musicians will play in celebration for ones birthday. I'd suggest making arrangements for them to come play at his birthday celebration. In addition to them playing Happy Birthday think about a second song. I'm not sure whether or not you and Dave enjoy this song but to us a very touching song is when they play and sing Prodigal Son (aka the Phillipino Song). We can hear it over and over and never tire of it.

We first tried the cake that Jusith has recommended so often which is the St. Honore Cake.

Now, maybe you can mention to the Cruise Director that it is Dave's birthday so that he can be recognized at the evening show.

Have a wonderful celebration!!

Keith

Old July 25th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

We celebrated my son's 10th birthday on Symphony's last Holiday cruise. We arranged for him to celebrate it with cupcakes in Waves with the other kids on the cruise. The best cupcakes I ever had in my life. When we celebrated my birthday on the Harmony, my wife had some of that St. Honore cake served at our table. That was awesome as well. Happy birthday to you husband.

Old July 25th, 2007, 08:53 PM
5,000+ Club

Thumbs up

Either call on board guest services at 1-800-446-6620 or write to that office and the Symphony liaison or anyone else there. They all work together. Ask whomever you speak with to arrange with the ship: decorating your stateroom; balloons at the table; the trio to play happy birthday while the waiters sing (if you have reservations at Prego that night, they will do it there). Just tell them. The cake is a St. Honore cake -- a traditional birthday cake. I made arrangements twice for Carla's birthday on 7222 -- once at our Vintage Room dinner and the other time in Prego and once in the dining room for Ernie's birthday. If you decide to do something special in the Vintage Room, speak to Ben van de Mutter, the man who will be head sommelier on your cruise. Oh, and definitely speak to the sommelier (either for Prego or the dining room (where ever you are celebrating) and order your favorite wine or champagne. If you are doing this in the dining room, definitely speak to Remi in advance and tell him your plans. He'll make sure everything is done properly. Say hi for Larry and me. Judith

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 26th, 2007, 03:24 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Dave's celebration!

Hi, my friend!
Kathleen, I think there had to have been a typo --- you meant his 50th birthday , right?? If Dave is 70, that's the way I want to age!!

Regarding ideas to make it special for him, I'll defer to the more experienced Crystal cruisers..... just being onboard will make it extra-special and a birthday he'll never forget! I have a feeling that the more people who know about it, the more fun you'll have. Spread the word!

Looking forward to hearing all the special details!

Randy

Old July 26th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Great ideas!

I knew I could count on some great ideas from the CC crew. Thanks so much and keep them coming.

Randy, Dave does look young but it doesn't hurt to have a young wife as well!

Judith, thanks for the info on the Sommelier. It will be nice to meet Ben, I don't think we've cruised with him before.

I have no doubt the whole ship will know of Dave's birthday by the time I'm done!

Old July 26th, 2007, 04:50 PM
5,000+ Club

Thumbs up

Kathleen, please wish Dave a happy birthday next month. Dave doesn't look like he's approaching 70! I'm sure he'll have a wonderful birthday celebration.

Nancy

Old July 26th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default That's great!

What a fabulous way to celebrate a birthday--especially a milestone!

My birthday was very special, thanks to Judith. The Vintage Room experience was hysterical. In came the musicians, staff, and officers singing "Happy Birthday." I immediately joined them in song, until my wine-muddled brain realized they were singing for MY birthday.

And they will do whatever you want as far as cakes. Judith thoughtfully arranged for my cakes to be sugar free, but you never would have known by the taste.

Way to go! Carla
Crystal 2005, 2005, 2005, 2006, 2015 ; Cunard 2008; NCL 1991, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2001, 2006, 2007, 2009; 2013; 2014; Celebrity 2000, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2010; Royal Caribbean 1998, 2001; 2011; Princess 2001, 2009, 2012, 2012; Disney 2000; HAL 2000, 2003

Old July 26th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

We had the pleasure of Ben hosting our dinner in the Vintage Room. He was extremely gracious and his wine selections were truly interesting and unique. How can you argue with a Chateau Mouton as the last red wine of the evening, and a Dow vintage port. It was a truly memorable meal.

Old July 27th, 2007, 06:15 AM
Cool Cruiser

All excellent ideas. Celebrated my birthday on my first Crystal cruise last year and had the balloons, cake, singing violinists at the dining room table, etc. For me, that was over the top, but if I was planning a celebration for someone else I would be thrilled with any of the previous ideas. Here's a couple more: flowers and a posed photo at the bon voyage sailaway; celebration lunch at a local restaurant ashore; prepare a video from friends and family back home to be shown aboard.

I have also done one other thing ashore which may be a bit too much for a cruise: invite relatives or close friends to come along on the cruise and keep their presence a secret. Have them wear Halloween masks at the bon voyage sailaway. They can come up to the birthday boy with a sign that says "Happy Birthday", then take off their masks. Okay, so I'm a little nuts.

Chuck-

Old July 27th, 2007, 08:44 AM
5,000+ Club

We celebrated our anniversary in 2005 going to Alaska on Harmony on a formal night. The staff photographers were taking pictures in the dining room. When they brought out our cake and all the waiters sang "Let me call you sweetheart", the photographers took several pictures of us and the musicians and waiters. It was a marvelous souvenir of our celebration.

Old July 27th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Birthday Surprise

I was hoping Dave's son would be able to surprise him at golf in Edinburgh but it is not to be....

Love all the ideas....

Old August 1st, 2007, 01:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Post-cruise hotel?

Hi, Kathleen/LoveDeck10!

If I recall correctly, you were considering the Chancery Court Hotel for your post-cruise visit in London. If that's still the case, it would be terrific for you, Nancy and I to have a quick reunion! I have no idea when we'll be transferred to the ship, but as it's a bit of a distance away, I'm hoping we'll be able to board by noon . If we know that's where you and Dave are staying, perhaps we can be on the lookout for you in the reception area!
(or you could stay onboard for B2B )!

Randy

Old August 1st, 2007, 05:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

We celebrated my wife's birthday a couple of days early on the North Cape - the night of the Captain's Farewell Party. I got her a little surprise from Facet's (Hubert was on the ship). Kelly conspired to make the presentation. While everyone at our table was standing at the bar (they were all in on it), a waiter approached my wife with a tray -- when she saw what was on it - she just cried and everyone applauded.

Old August 1st, 2007, 07:06 PM
5,000+ Club

Thumbs up

Billyjeff, you're a wonderful guy!

Nancy

Old August 1st, 2007, 08:21 PM
50,000+ Club

BillJeff, having met Hubert earlier this year on the Serenity I am sure your gift was beautiful and the way you surprised your wife is outstanding!

Keith

Old August 2nd, 2007, 02:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Great Idea

But how can I get a Porsche on a platter?

Old August 2nd, 2007, 03:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDeck10 View Post
Crystal could do it!

Old August 2nd, 2007, 06:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDeck10 View Post

19 and counting...