Regal Princess HDMI Input

CBRad929

Just curious if the TVs currently on the Regal have physically accessible HDMI or VGA(PC) ports?

I tried searching the forums, but the only information I could find was either old(Jan/15) or vague (does blocked mean physically inaccessible or was the tv in hotel mode?)

Would be great if anyone could confirm recent make/models of the TVs (Viewsonic/Samsung).

Our family tends to be night owls and enjoy watching diverse programming (Korean dramas :D).

Thanks in advance!

Hard to get to the HDMI outlets. You will need to bring your own universal remote (hotel mode). So both!

Thanks for the clarification Hunky! Im planning on using the Peel Smart Remote android app for my smartphone as it already has an IR blaster built into it.

:D

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the clarification Hunky! Im planning on using the Peel Smart Remote android app for my smartphone as it already has an IR blaster built into it.

:D

Let us know if that app works out to change the input. I'm not sure if even that will allow you feed it with another signal or not. I haven heard of anyone (including the crew) who have had any luck. :(

Let us know if that app works out to change the input. I'm not sure if even that will allow you feed it with another signal or not. I haven heard of anyone (including the crew) who have had any luck. :(

My observation:

1) The hardest part was getting the HDMI cable connected. The TV slightly flexes to get your hand behind the monitor, but its a really tight fit. AND I have small hands :)

2) In my cabin, I did not have to disable hotel mode. The Samsung units have the HDMI ports disabled on the source menu until there was an active signal. As soon as there was is an active connection you can then select it on the source menu.

3) The Peel remote control app worked perfectly on my android phone. I customized my menu by adding the source button, up, down, left, right and enter just to make it easier to navigate from one screen. Note: If you plan on doing this, confirm you have an IR blaster on your device. Otherwise a cheap universal remote programmed for a samsung tv would work.

4) Also I was fighting it a bit while the embarkation video was playing. However, once it finished we didnt have any issues switching inputs.

Hope this helps! :)

My observation:

1) The hardest part was getting the HDMI cable connected. The TV slightly flexes to get your hand behind the monitor, but its a really tight fit. AND I have small hands :)

2) In my cabin, I did not have to disable hotel mode. The Samsung units have the HDMI ports disabled on the source menu until there was an active signal. As soon as there was is an active connection you can then select it on the source menu.

3) The Peel remote control app worked perfectly on my android phone. I customized my menu by adding the source button, up, down, left, right and enter just to make it easier to navigate from one screen. Note: If you plan on doing this, confirm you have an IR blaster on your device. Otherwise a cheap universal remote programmed for a samsung tv would work.

4) Also I was fighting it a bit while the embarkation video was playing. However, once it finished we didnt have any issues switching inputs.

Thanks for your input. I read a while back that someone had disconnected their input & used that one not having to switch input modes. (with a Viewsonic TV). This didn't work for me on the Samsung. I tried the HDMI & Cat 5 without any luck. Next cruise I'll have to bring a universal remote.

My observation:

Thank you for coming back to share your observations from experience! :)

I always like to connect my computer up to the TV screens on our cruises to show pictures and videos from the day and maybe watch a Movie with the laptop.

It would have been great if Princess would have used monitor mounts that allowed for a little bit of swivel. I think that they used these on purpose given the tight accommodations and to lessen the chance of someone hitting the TV as they walked by and possibly hurting themselves or the equipment. :eek:

Happy Cruising!

Mark

Thanks for your input. I read a while back that someone had disconnected their input & used that one not having to switch input modes. (with a Viewsonic TV). This didn't work for me on the Samsung. I tried the HDMI & Cat 5 without any luck. Next cruise I'll have to bring a universal remote.

Agreed, I was hoping that the video distribution from the ship were like hotels and connected via HDMI. Then it would be just a simple switch of the HDMI inputs. Although, I still think that would put us back at square one - Hard to access HDMI ports.

With the Cat5/RJ45 connector I think would be a harder/more expensive solution as you would have to buy a VGA/Displayport/HDMI to RJ45 and then configure the source on the TV. I think it would be also harder to insert/remove the cable vs the HDMI ports.

I did bring a pair of locking forceps to grab the head of the connector with, but it ended being more of a hassle than just using my fingertips to adjust the angle (like holding a cigarette) and then pushing on the cable itself to seat the connector. If I had to do it again I would bring adjustable pliers that were at least 8 inches long.

But yes, the key is a remote with a source button. :D

Agreed, I was hoping that the video distribution from the ship were like hotels and connected via HDMI. Then it would be just a simple switch of the HDMI inputs. Although, I still think that would put us back at square one - Hard to access HDMI ports.

Oh there tough to get to, no question about that. They're easier to reach on the Viewsonic than the Samsung's.

With the Cat5/RJ45 connector I think would be a harder/more expensive solution as you would have to buy a VGA/Displayport/HDMI to RJ45 and then configure the source on the TV. I think it would be also harder to insert/remove the cable vs the HDMI ports.

I found that is was almost impossible to reach the Cat 5 input the first time we sailed the Royal so I brought a female to female Cat 5 connector & unplugged their cable at the top where it exited the wall and fed it with mu unit. Of course it still didn't solve the problem since they must have a circuit built into their sets that will only accept their signal.

I did bring a pair of locking forceps to grab the head of the connector with, but it ended being more of a hassle than just using my fingertips to adjust the angle (like holding a cigarette) and then pushing on the cable itself to seat the connector. If I had to do it again I would bring adjustable pliers that were at least 8 inches long.

But yes, the key is a remote with a source button. :D

As you say, "the key is a remote with a source button."

I'll be prepared next cruise. :D

I talked to one crew member who told me that he could switch the input on his Viewsonic but he had to call the tech staff to get it back to normal mode.

Just curious if the TVs currently on the Regal have physically accessible HDMI or VGA(PC) ports?

I tried searching the forums, but the only information I could find was either old(Jan/15) or vague (does blocked mean physically inaccessible or was the tv in hotel mode?)

Would be great if anyone could confirm recent make/models of the TVs (Viewsonic/Samsung).

Our family tends to be night owls and enjoy watching diverse programming (Korean dramas :D).

Thanks in advance!

On our recent 23 day TA cruise on the Caribbean Princess I had no problem connecting my Nikon D7200 to an available HDMI port on our cabin TV to view my photos. The remote allowed me to change inputs

If your remote doesn't allow you to change inputs, ask at the purser desk for another remote.

Howard

On our recent 23 day TA cruise on the Caribbean Princess I had no problem connecting my Nikon D7200 to an available HDMI port on our cabin TV to view my photos. The remote allowed me to change inputs

If your remote doesn't allow you to change inputs, ask at the purser desk for another remote.

Howard

Yep, the Caribbean Princess still has the old TV's which allow you to connect but the newer systems will not unless you first are able to reach the connections & have a way to change the input. I asked at the Pass services desk for a remote to do exactly that & there are none available for the new system. The fellow at the desk knew exactly what I wanted to do since he wanted too also & unless you bring one with you there no hope of using the newer TV's for your own photo's or videos. :(