Holistic Holiday at Sea

monicajay

We were on the Poesia this year the first week of March only to find there was a large group on board the same date. They were there for a 'Holistic Holiday at Sea'. At first we thought , oh well, but buy the end of the week we were very sick of having such a large group on board.

They traveled in packs about the ship and took up a lot of 'space'. The library was closed to us for the whole week. Dining times were changed to accommodate them (or 8pm time became 8h30 and 9 on gala nights). Show times were changed to accommodate them. Outdoor movies at night movies were canceled for the whole week. Private parties were held which closed off lots of 'public' space. One day I got kicked off playing ping pong because they had to get ready for a party.

This group has booked again for 2012. The dates are March 3rd - 10th, 2012

I'm not saying you shouldn't book these dates but at least you should know there will be a gang of spandex yoga people who seemed to think they own the ship.

Personally, I've booked an alternative cruise for these dates even though I would have preferred to stay with MSC.

Totally agree with you Monica...I was on that same cruise and witnessed all of that too. I sent MSC an email when I got back...they gave me a $200 credit towards another cruise...just an fyi in case you want to do the same.

Totally agree with you Monica...I was on that same cruise and witnessed all of that too. I sent MSC an email when I got back...they gave me a $200 credit towards another cruise...just an fyi in case you want to do the same.

Interesting.

So they recognized there was a problem.

It's a pity these huge groups weren't big enough to book the entire cruise out or there was a way of knowing before you book as, no matter the type of group, they tend to dominate and adversely affect things for those not part of the group.

• 4 months later...

Following JBbackhom's example I too sent both a letter and an e-mail to MSC regarding the situation on this ship. Unlike JBbackhome there was no future cruise credit offered, nor in fact was there a response.

It makes you wonder when you send a letter and get nothing back.

MONICAJAY-

Would you kindly tell us how you tried connecting with MSC and which office? We can assure you that we respond to each guest who writes to us with positive or negative feedback. If you would also kindly send your inquiry again to our Post Cruise Care Department at customer-srvc@msccruisesusa.com, we would be more than happy to review your inquiries.

Thank you for choosing MSC Cruises and we do hope to resolve this claim for you and welcome you onboard another sailing in the near future.

MSC Cruises USA

MONICAJAY-

Would you kindly tell us how you tried connecting with MSC and which office? We can assure you that we respond to each guest who writes to us with positive or negative feedback. If you would also kindly send your inquiry again to our Post Cruise Care Department at customer-srvc@msccruisesusa.com, we would be more than happy to review your inquiries.

Thank you for choosing MSC Cruises and we do hope to resolve this claim for you and welcome you onboard another sailing in the near future.

MSC Cruises USA

Hmmm..

For the e-mail I used the MSC web-site. First, you click on your country then at the bottom left hand corner it says 'contact us' when clicked a drop down box appears and I filled it in. Because it did not allow me to 'save' what I wrote I also composed a short letter and sent it to MSC using the United States Postal Service, I remember the address was New York City, ( I found the address on the internet when goggling MSC) so I will hunt up the letter and forward it to you at the e-mail address you have provided. I did not book through a travel agent and have booked both my MSC cruises direct.

I must say I am surprised as I didn't know MSC monitored this site.

Hi Monicajay-

I am wondering if you used MSC Cruises USA site (http://www.msccruisesusa.com) for the "contact us", as there may be a problem in which we need to look into. Please let me know! As well, our NY office is actually the Cargo side of MSC, not the cruise line; we are located in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. I hope you forwarded your information to our post cruise customer care so they can better assist you!

Thank you,

MSC Cruises USA

Hi Monicajay-

I am wondering if you used MSC Cruises USA site (www.msccruisesusa.com) for the "contact us", as there may be a problem in which we need to look into. Please let me know! As well, our NY office is actually the Cargo side of MSC, not the cruise line; we are located in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. I hope you forwarded your information to our post cruise customer care so they can better assist you!

Thank you,

MSC Cruises USA

Yes, I used the 'contact us' on the msccruiseusa.com site (even though I am from Canada). I did this on or about the 20th of April as this is when another cruiser explained he had received a credit. I sent the letter to the NY office not knowing it was a Cargo office. I just goggled MSC address and this is the one I got. No mention on the web-site that this was not the same company (or is it? but just a different division?). I did forward a copy of my letter to the e-mail address in a previous post and have already received a reply (thanks), they are looking into it and will contact me.

I do appreciate that you are monitoring these boards.

I never considered that large groups would be a problem :mad: we have 250 veteran jazz players and fans on our cruise ;) I'll let you know how that pans out.

I wouldn't worry, 250 is not that large a group hopefully you might get some extra entertainment.

• 6 months later...

My husband and I are veteran cruisers but this was the first time on a conference cruise. First I want to apologize for those on the cruise who were not part of the conference and felt put off. I can totally understand that and hope this conference will grow so that the entire ship is for those attending. It is a wonderful conference; life changing for us.

If I were not part of the conference I would have felt the same way as others who have posted. It makes me aware that anytime I book I will make sure it is a "regular" cruise and our ship will not be overrun. That said, if you have an interest in learning so many fabulous things join this conference. The diversity and quality of presentations was fabulous.

We also loved the ship! thanks to all of you who post and help me.

• 3 months later...

Hello folks. I was on that 2011 cruise you are talking about. I am sorry that so many had such a poor time. We DID have over 1000 people in our Group and that didn't count the instructors and support staff devoted to just us.

We had our own chefs, dining times, trainers and educators. We had all our own food as well, as we are all Vegan and do not consume meat, dairy, eggs or fish. If there was interference from us, for one, I'm sorry.

Franky, I would have thought that you would have loved to have a large group that did NOT use most of the entertainment/pool/bar facilities on board. It provided a lot more individual service to YOU. Since we were in classes and occupying the clubs and disco's that are usually vacant during the day, I can't see how that was interfering with others.

Ours was an educational, learning, and for many, a healing experience. Many/most of us didn't even disembark in the ports as there were on-going classes. Few went to clubs or disco or bars as many/most do not drink/smoke and the lounges were frankly stinking with smoke. THAT is something I hated; just walking through the area during the day, you had to almost hold your nose.

Whoever booked your cruise should have advised you that there was a large focused group on board. I can tell you that WE had a tremendous time.

We have already booked our next cruise: http://www.wholefoods4healthyliving.com/health_products/holistic_cruise.html

Don't say I didn't warn you!

Cheers,

Skip Stein

MONICAJAY-

MSC Cruises USA

Sorry to hijack a thread guys but I've never noticed official MSC presence on this forum before!

I wonder would MSC Cruises USA like to comment on the numerous negative reviews of their cruise line in these threads?

If so you can start with mine. A simple search will bring up my posts.

Not holding my breath!

Sorry to hijack a thread guys but I've never noticed official MSC presence on this forum before!

I wonder would MSC Cruises USA like to comment on the numerous negative reviews of their cruise line in these threads?

If so you can start with mine. A simple search will bring up my posts.

Not holding my breath!

No, no comment?

Not sure why I expected anything different.

Same as MSC UK - got my money so not interested in any follow up customer service.

I hope things are different on board, but reading other people's reviews, I doubt it.

No, no comment?

Not sure why I expected anything different.

Same as MSC UK - got my money so not interested in any follow up customer service.

I hope things are different on board, but reading other people's reviews, I doubt it.

Not seen them on here for awhile. Think they are regulars on here during the US sailing period.

I was on the 4 night cruise before the Holistic cruise, saw them in line with their "vegan" themed/holistic tee shirts

MY cruise had the Donny and Marie Osmand cruisers on it LOL>> I actually did not mind it, there were some real "odd" characters, but they had their own early dine time and their own shows. We had the late seating and the showroom did the regular/short MSC shows at 7 pm I think it was...very good and not crowded

Apparently a lot of the Donny Maries did not drink either (Mormons?) the bartenders told us LOL. They apparently had a couple "good" (for them) groups on some other sailings ...an "Armenian" group on one and an "Irish/Irish Music" group on another....LOL>> you can bet they partied haha

I would personally never go on any of these group cruises....the Donny Maries paid about 3 times what we paid. MSC can be a real bargain, especially if you live in Florida and can cruise "quickly"> we only booked this a month or so before sailing, had a great AARP rate and deal.

I don't know why the guy with the Holistic cruise is permitted to promote his group on these boards anyhow...didn't think that was allowed??

As for the statement that your travel agent should tell you....oh please...they don't ....people who know what they are doing do a search for their own druise dates and see what is going on...face it, MSC books a lot of groups in the Caribbean.

Oh...one of my gang is a vegan and he loved the food on MSC...they were able to keep him very happy. He has sailed on Poesia 2x and loves the food.

I would not pay triple to be on any group cruise...well maybe I would IF it was a Motown cruise LOL....different strokes for different folks

Next time...google your cruise...I did, I knew Donny Marie would be there...but it worked out fine JMO

• 5 months later...
Hello folks. I was on that 2011 cruise you are talking about. I am sorry that so many had such a poor time. We DID have over 1000 people in our Group and that didn't count the instructors and support staff devoted to just us.

We had our own chefs, dining times, trainers and educators. We had all our own food as well, as we are all Vegan and do not consume meat, dairy, eggs or fish. If there was interference from us, for one, I'm sorry.

Franky, I would have thought that you would have loved to have a large group that did NOT use most of the entertainment/pool/bar facilities on board. It provided a lot more individual service to YOU. Since we were in classes and occupying the clubs and disco's that are usually vacant during the day, I can't see how that was interfering with others.

Ours was an educational, learning, and for many, a healing experience. Many/most of us didn't even disembark in the ports as there were on-going classes. Few went to clubs or disco or bars as many/most do not drink/smoke and the lounges were frankly stinking with smoke. THAT is something I hated; just walking through the area during the day, you had to almost hold your nose.

Whoever booked your cruise should have advised you that there was a large focused group on board. I can tell you that WE had a tremendous time.

We have already booked our next cruise: http://www.wholefoods4healthyliving.com/health_products/holistic_cruise.html

Don't say I didn't warn you!

Cheers,

Skip Stein

Hi, Skip!

I'm happy to have found this thread as my husband and myself will be on this cruise in March. I am a vegan, hubby is not but is open to the holistic/vegan experience.

Since a "regular" cruise menu is offered, he can partake of as much or little as the vegan cuisine. We are social drinkers but do not smoke, are you saying that all of the lounges are smoky? I certainly hope not!

I'm looking forward to a vacation where we can both enjoy fine dining, education and entertainment w/o one of us feeling left out or having to compromise!

I was on the 4 night cruise before the Holistic cruise, saw them in line with their "vegan" themed/holistic tee shirts

MY cruise had the Donny and Marie Osmand cruisers on it LOL>> I actually did not mind it, there were some real "odd" characters, but they had their own early dine time and their own shows. We had the late seating and the showroom did the regular/short MSC shows at 7 pm I think it was...very good and not crowded

Apparently a lot of the Donny Maries did not drink either (Mormons?) the bartenders told us LOL. They apparently had a couple "good" (for them) groups on some other sailings ...an "Armenian" group on one and an "Irish/Irish Music" group on another....LOL>> you can bet they partied haha

I would personally never go on any of these group cruises....the Donny Maries paid about 3 times what we paid. MSC can be a real bargain, especially if you live in Florida and can cruise "quickly"> we only booked this a month or so before sailing, had a great AARP rate and deal.

I don't know why the guy with the Holistic cruise is permitted to promote his group on these boards anyhow...didn't think that was allowed??

As for the statement that your travel agent should tell you....oh please...they don't ....people who know what they are doing do a search for their own druise dates and see what is going on...face it, MSC books a lot of groups in the Caribbean.

Oh...one of my gang is a vegan and he loved the food on MSC...they were able to keep him very happy. He has sailed on Poesia 2x and loves the food.

I would not pay triple to be on any group cruise...well maybe I would IF it was a Motown cruise LOL....different strokes for different folks

Next time...google your cruise...I did, I knew Donny Marie would be there...but it worked out fine JMO

Not all vegans are "Donny & Maries," grin..my husband and I drink socially and can party with the best of them, but we are also health-conscious and are looking forward to the education we'll receive on this cruise. On At Sea days, instead of basking by the pool (which I can do from my own back yard) sipping expensive drinks, we'll be attending lectures by some of the top authorities on health and wellness. I don't mind paying more for this experience, our health is worth it!

Well be sure to look up Nancy and I! We are on Deck 5 in an outside cabin. We like that deck as it is more stable (Nancy gets a bit of motion sickens now and then).

The lounges do allow smoking and late at night can get pretty smokey. We pretty much avoided them in any case as there were so many other activities in which to partake! If you get up early and do deck exercises (ChiGong, Yoga, etc.), then go to breakfast and try to attend most of the classes, by the time evening rolls around the the upper deck activities kick in; we are frankly pretty pooped and ready for bed!

The cruise is jammed packed with so much to do, it will make your head spin. Then there are the ports to visit! On our last one, we only got off to 'stretch our legs' a bit, do a little shopping then back to the ship!

I DO plan to lounge at the pool a bit more as now we know the drill and will pick the classes most important to us. Make sure you plan your schedules ahead of time as there are many conflicts; at least there were for us!

Drop me an email (skipstein@wf4hl.com) and we can exchange cabin/phone numbers. Always lovely to meet others. You will find everyone just so accomodating, friendly and helpful; and that is just the other Holistic Cruise participants!

We are looking forward to another lovely trip!

Cheers,

Skip Stein

Archived