NCL SUN Forward Cabins

Pickels

We need some expert advice on penthouse cabins in the front of the ship. For those who have cruised in these cabins, good? bad? We 've cruises in AFT cabins but this would be completely different. Thanks

I think a lot of it depends on what you want out of the cruise. If you want to be able to be on your balcony while the ship is underway, it can be breezy. Which is why so many people swear by the aft cabins, because you don't get the wind. However, if you want terrific views, it's awesome. Great for Glacier Bay or the Panama Canal. Better than the afts in my opinion.

We had one of these for Alaska. Some people swore they wouldn't take these because it's too chilly. We thought the views were better than anyplace else on the ship, so we booked it again for our next trip to Alaska. We had an aft for the Panama Canal, and it was nice, but I really wish I had the forward Penthouse instead. In fact, my partner made friends with someone who had a forward suite, and spent the whole morning up there for the Panama Canal Transit.

So, I would definitely do the forward Penthouse for the awesome views, and in warm weather. Probably not the best place for a transatlantic trip. If you want to spend a lot of time there when the ship is moving and at night or when the weather may be cooler, then aft is probably better.

I stayed in a balcony cabin in the front of the Sun. We were surprised at how windy it was while moving or at night (as the last poster said.)

We had bought stand up umbrellas for shade….which became a running joke as it was too windy and they kept falling over….or, we feared, would fly over the balcony and land on the deck below!

So…beautiful but windy. It all depends on how much “non wind” time you want to spend on your balcony.

I hope this helps.

We had a forward penthouse on the Sun in February and it is our favorite cabin ever. We did not find it too windy. We loved standing out there and watching the ship going into the ports. We have never done aft cabins but much preferred this to midship.

We've become converts to the forward suites. After the last cruise, we feel they are the best. When underway, it is breezy while standing up. But, when you sit down the rail stops the wind and makes it like any other balcony. For arriving and departing ports there is nothing better.

We love them.:D

We prefer the forward penthouse suites over (almost) any other cabin on the ship, and always try to cruise in them. Love the expansive views, love the breeze and the sun during the day, the stars at night. Love the huge balcony and the larger cabin.

Yes, it can be windy when the ship is under way, but you can easily get out of the wind by just stepping back a bit, and you'll still have most of the view and the sun.

Have had the pleasure of enjoying penthouses on both. Loved front at night watcching the stars, but closing the heavy door and the wind tunnel affect if you should open your cabin door while deck door is open is something you shuld be aware of.

To me slight advantage to aft, but you must watch what is under or above you for noise concerns, had Gem and bowling alley could be heard, not too annoying as they do not go late in the evening. I am an early riser so it didn't bother me, but when docking early in the morning crew has their job to do with rigging all the lines and can be noisy.

Have a great trip either way.

Dennis

Archived