Golden Princess missing South Island..

Golden Princes has cancelled her South Island calls due to bad weather and has cut through Cook Strait to head back to Melbourne.Wonder if they get another port, Hobart maybe ? ...otherwise they will be 2 days early.

Edited by Kiwi Kruzer

Passengers are very upset as they have already missed Gisborne and will now miss Dunedin and Fiordland. They came on the cruise to see NZ and are not seeing very much of it.

Cruisers upset as ship skips tourist spots

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11548818

Noticed she was heading towards Cook Strait on marinetraffic.com last night. Celebrity Solstice continued on to fiordland. There looks to be a bit of bad weather for the area later today and tomorrow.

We board on Wednesday in Melbourne. Fingers crossed we will get nice weather for the duration, but wouldn't bet on it.

Noticed she was heading towards Cook Strait on marinetraffic.com last night. Celebrity Solstice continued on to fiordland. There looks to be a bit of bad weather for the area later today and tomorrow.

We board on Wednesday in Melbourne. Fingers crossed we will get nice weather for the duration, but wouldn't bet on it.

Could be a bit bumpy on Solstice today.If its too rough they wont get into the sounds.:eek:

Shame for the passengers, feel for them. That's a lot to miss on a NZ cruise. :(

Looks like Explorer is still heading to Milford.

Perhaps this is no longer accurate and may change but maybe the bad weather is further north at this stage?

Current position of M/S Explorer of the Seas: Under way from Melbourne to Milford Sound (Passage)

Departure was 1 d 19 hrs 56 min ago. (at 17:00 h local time)

Arrival will be in 17 hrs 4 min. (at 08:00 h local time)

Traveled distance since Melbourne: 851.56 nm (1,577.09 km)

Remaining distance to Milford Sound (Passage): 326.55 nm (604.77 km)

Traveled distance since Fremantle (Perth): 2,711.23 nm (5,021.19 km)

Course: 115°

According to AIS Marine Traffic , Golden is showing an ETA Melbourne 24 -11 - 16.00.

Sooooo.....Looks like its arriving a day early and they will have an overnight at Station Pier.:rolleyes:

Hope there's some form of compensation.

I think I read somewhere they are getting 30% off a future cruise.

Big deal - that will be off full brochure price and many sale prices are much cheaper than that :eek:....

and ....

if you dont take another cruise - you get nothing.:confused:

why talk of compensation, they've been offered 30% off a future cruise

i've lost count of the number of ports i've missed due to the weather and never received anything and i didnt expect to get anything

Shame for the passengers but not much point sailing into bad weather and missing the ports anyway.

Agreed. And compensation can take different forms though including some onboard activities that normally cost aswell as discounts...

I think I read somewhere they are getting 30% off a future cruise.

Big deal - that will be off full brochure price and many sale prices are much cheaper than that :eek:....

and ....

if you dont take another cruise - you get nothing.:confused:

That's not how Princess credits work, if they're giving them a credit, they'll get a credit for 30% of what they paid for this cruise to use on a future cruise.

According to the NZ Metservice marine forecast maps the nasty stuff is coming up from the south. http://www.metservice.com/maps-radar/marine-forecast-maps/significant-wave-height

It doesn't look too bad today but could get very nasty over the next couple of days.

I am sure the captain will do everything in his power to make sure that ship and passengers are safe and comfortable for the cruise.:D

so will that mean the weds trip is moved to tue ?? if your stops get cancelled any shore excursions will be cancelled of course but will you get $$ back for them if booked through princess ??

If you book through Princess and a port is missed you get a full refund.

The same applies to any reputable private tour operator too.

We were on Diamond 29 Sep ex SYD we missed Fiordland, Dunedin & Akaroa.

We booked tours privately in Dunedin - train & Cadbury - both refunded no prob.

No compensation was offered by Princess I didnt expect it as I thought that was just the way the cookie crumbled & I thought their cruising contract was pretty clear that due to weather ports can be missed. And I was happy enough not to cruise through a massive gale LOL. And we had a fab time regardless & we could see the weather we turned away from was hideous - we even saw water spouts from the clouds to the sea so it seemed a good call from the Captn.

Should I have inquired about compo for missed ports? :confused: Just curious.

We didnt return early to Syd- we had an overnight in Wellington to fill in time.