Immunisations

Fish66

I'm travelling on the Golden Princess to New Zealand on February 11th 2016

From Melbourne, and was wondering do I need to get any immunisations like the Flu injection or Tetanus, in case I cut myself.

Some might think it sounds extreme but I have seen others say they are getting those needles

Just curious on what people say about it

Thanks in advance

From Melbourne, and was wondering do I need to get any immunisations like the Flu injection or Tetanus, in case I cut myself.

Some might think it sounds extreme but I have seen others say they are getting those needles

Thanks in advance

Hi Folks

Whilst its always a good idea to have your regular health checks and jabs , nothing special is needed for New Zealand..

regards

John

Thanks in advance

This would be something that should be done whether you're cruising or not.

I'm just going to get both

Thanks everyone

Thank you for asking. There may be folk out there new to cruising and may not have even thought of this aspect.:)

As well as the usual , flu,tetanus up to date etc, my Doc suggested the Twintrix Hepatitis Vaccine...works for Hep A and Hep B and evidently gives protection in case a food handler may be a carrier.

I'm going to New Zealand

You certainly don't need a Yellow Fever shot.;)

I would only have a YF shot if I was going up the Amazon. Just for a cruise around South America or through the Panama Canal, it is not needed.

I feel that sometimes the Travel doctors will recommend every shot available. After all, that is their business. I have found that often they do not allow for the fact that we are visiting for the day only. We are not living in local villages, eating local food and drinking local water. My opinion for what it is worth. :)

You certainly don't need a Yellow Fever shot.;)

I would only have a YF shot if I was going up the Amazon. Just for a cruise around South America or through the Panama Canal, it is not needed.

I feel that sometimes the Travel doctors will recommend every shot available. After all, that is their business. I have found that often they do not allow for the fact that we are visiting for the day only. We are not living in local villages, eating local food and drinking local water. My opinion for what it is worth. :)

Yep no Yellow Fever shot for me

I would make sure all your injections are up to date. Talk to your doctor about any other health concerns you may have.

Make sure you get any injections at least a couple of weeks prior to travel as you don't want to even have a slight reaction and be on a cruise ship.

My intention was alerting people to the Smartraveller website and also to travel doctors who have good advice for wherever you travel to. I had posted that you would only need the yellow fever shots for South America and Africa, sorry for the confusion.

My intention was alerting people to the Smartraveller website and also to travel doctors who have good advice for wherever you travel to. I had posted that you would only need the yellow fever shots for South America and Africa, sorry for the confusion.

I realise you said YF is only needed for South America and Africa, but my comment was that it is not needed for cruises that circumnavigate South America. YF is also not needed for the Indian Ocean cruise that calls into four ports in South Africa. I mention this because the people reading this board are cruisers and some of them will go on cruises to South America and Africa.:)

I realise you said YF is only needed for South America and Africa, but my comment was that it is not needed for cruises that circumnavigate South America. YF is also not needed for the Indian Ocean cruise that calls into four ports in South Africa. I mention this because the people reading this board are cruisers and some of them will go on cruises to South America and Africa.:)

Fair enough, however, the shore excursions into some of those places would still require some protection.:D

Fair enough, however, the shore excursions into some of those places would still require some protection.:D

I don't believe so. Going up the Amazon, yes, but that is a trip in itself, not a shore tour. In our cruising around Sth America, a three-week land tour and a couple of trips through the Panama Canal, I haven't seen even one mossie. The best protection in places where there could be mossies is a good spray-on insect repellent with DEET and wear long pants and long sleeves.:)

Edited by Aus Traveller

The problem is that if you get the disease then your in trouble. better safe than sorry, I say.

The difficulty is that there are bad possible side effects from some vaccinations (I don't mean the normal childhood ones). The Yellow Fever vaccine is a nasty one and I don't see any point in having the vaccination if I don't need it. If I was going into an area where YF was endemic, of course I would have it, but so far with our cruises and travelling in South America (two circumnavigation, 2 Panama Canal and a land tour) and also cruising and three land tours in Africa we have not needed it.:)

I probably would have thought the same way you have, except we were faced with investigating the side effects of YF immunisation and our need to have it before a cruise around South America a couple of years ago. Our considered decision was "no".

Edited by Aus Traveller

My wife and I have had the Yellow fever jab for our South American and African trips and suffered no side effects. Each person should do what they feel is best for them.

Yes each person should make their own decision. We each probably feel we made the correct decision for ourselves. :)