Int'l connection through LAX

slurpster03

Going thru immigration etc then transferring to a different terminal, checking in and going thru security....

Sorry with out even knowing the airlines involved I believe you have "little" chance of making your flight.

But post your info I hope that others will prove me wrong and I have to eat those words :(

However miracles do happen, they have just never happened to me especially at LAX!

I'm hoping that now that I have a "Global Entry" card that never again will I still be standing in line in the reception hall when my next flight is taking off!!

True story, several times in-spite of careful planning. My international flights always seen to arrive late and then land with several other "Full" flights. Arrivals Hall always seem to be a MASS of humanity!

A longer connection would be nice. You will probably land in Terminal 4 and have to transfer to one of the domestic terminals. However, the other consideration is that there are LOTS of flights from LAX to SFO, so it wouldn't be a hard flight to rebook if needed. What I don't know is whether your carrier would cover that (did they book you on the tight connection or did you choose a short connection?).

A longer connection would be nice. You will probably land in Terminal 4 and have to transfer to one of the domestic terminals. However, the other consideration is that there are LOTS of flights from LAX to SFO, so it wouldn't be a hard flight to rebook if needed. What I don't know is whether your carrier would cover that (did they book you on the tight connection or did you choose a short connection?).

Terminal 4 is AA's terminal, adjacent to the Bradley International terminal. Without confirmation from the OP we can only guess, but MY guess is that the whole trip is on American, and the connection at LAX is actually 2:20, arriving at 6 pm and leaving (for SFO) at 8:20 pm (and further that the flight date is sometime in the new year.) That's a legal connection and ought to be doable as long as the PVG-LAX flight is on time. However if it's on two separate tickets then all bets are off.

Terminal 4 is AA's terminal, adjacent to the Bradley International terminal. Without confirmation from the OP we can only guess, but MY guess is that the whole trip is on American, and the connection at LAX is actually 2:20, arriving at 6 pm and leaving (for SFO) at 8:20 pm (and further that the flight date is sometime in the new year.) That's a legal connection and ought to be doable as long as the PVG-LAX flight is on time. However if it's on two separate tickets then all bets are off.

Wow, you're good. This is correct. It's an American Airlines flight, the international from PVG is operated by Cathay Pacific, but the connection, etc all booked through American. Thanks for everyone's input. I think I'll go ask what the plan is if we don't make the second flight...

Wow, you're good. This is correct. It's an American Airlines flight, the international from PVG is operated by Cathay Pacific, but the connection, etc all booked through American. Thanks for everyone's input. I think I'll go ask what the plan is if we don't make the second flight...
I don't think it's operated by CX. AA flies nonstop PVG-LAX, CX flies from Hong Kong but doesn't have an arrival time at LAX around that hour. Most likely you're seeing a Cathay codeshare flight number on AA metal.

I never have good luck at LAX. On my most recent international flight arrival my checked bag was very late coming in. It was the last bag from my flight to appear. I refused to go on to my connecting flight without seeing that bag, clearing US Customs with it and doing the rechecking.

I always want more time in such a situation and often need it.

You haven't bought the tickets yet, right? If you have, it's a moot point unless you're willing to pay a change fee. I imagine it's a "legal" connection, so the airline may not change without you paying a $250 or so fee.

Agreed, you need to supply more details, including the airlines involved and whether you're a U.S. citizen. I assume all flights would be purchased togther and that the second airline is not Southwest (due to lack of interline agreements for transfer of bags after Customs). You could well get through Immigration and Customs (people often say "customs," but it's immigration that is more likely to cause a delay), and security lines to your SFO flight in time, but guaranteed?

At that time of night, a concern of mine would be that if you miss the connection, even if the airline to SFO puts you on the next flight with available seats (not necessarily the very next flight), that may not be until the next morning.

Edited by Fattony