Boston hotel

Jiffymom

looking for a reasonable hotel. 2 nights prior, we will be renting a car from airport to tour the colors in October

What's your definition of reasonable?

Have you read the first couple of pages of this board? There are a few threads already here about Boston hotels. Check those out and then give us some more specifics like:

Dates

Price range

Do you want to be in the city (expensive hotel/expensive parking) or on the fringe of the city (cheaper hotel/cheaper parking/questionable area) or in the suburbs (cheaper hotel/free parking/suburban location)

Anything else you consider important about your stay

October 7-11. Like rooms to be under 200.

We can always do a bus tour of the city one day and the other days just drive around no real plans.

Or maybe visit Harvard. So outskirts are ok if more reasonable

If you are renting a car, you don't want to stay in town. You'll pay more for parking than the car.

You'll be here before Head of the Charles, so that's good. There are a few hotels in Braintree (Hampton Inn, Marriott, technically Quincy, but right there, Holiday Inn Express). You'll be near a mall with some food options, and right by the Red Line to go into town.

Your dates should be excellent to see fall colors. I would suggest staying northwest of Boston near Concord, Lexington, Burlington and Waltham.

Please do some research on this area and post back. Concord is a charming Colonial town with the Minuteman National Historical Park (site of the first battle of the Revolution) and the home to the Alcotts, Emerson, Thoreau (Walden Pond). There are also lovely drives on local roads. Accommodations there include the Colonial Inn and several charming B&B's plus unique restaurants and shops. There is train access to Boston (40 minutes).

Burlington is a busy suburban area along route 128/I95 with hotels, restaurants, and malls. It is a good staging point to drive to Concord or Lexington, drive up route 3 to New Hampshire, drive up I95 to I93 into Boston, or drive down I95 to the Mass Pike to the airport or Cruiseport. Waltham/Newton is further south on route 128/95 with similar accesses.

To get to Harvard you would drive from route 128/I95 in route 2 to pick up Mass Ave to Harvard Square in Cambridge. IMO the best way to do this is to park at Alewife T Station ($7) and take the T to Harvard Square ($2/pp) with a Charlie Card. Parking at Harvard Square is just about as expensive as downtown Boston. One caveat - the parking garage at Alewife fills up by 9 am during the week, so this is a trip best done in the afternoon. I understand you want to drive everywhere, but there are trips where using public transit is really a much better option.

If you can clarify the type of accommodations you are looking for (charming, cheap, hotel chain, location, etc), I can help you focus your search. Hotwire can also be a good option because any 3* and up hotel with a high approval rating in this area will be acceptable.