Worried in advance re:United cutbacks

FritzG

We're currently booked CLE-IAD-LHR in early September using air miles. United dropped Cleveland as a hub and is in the process of cutting flights. They're also closing Concourse D which was used for smaller planes.

Our flight to IAD is on a smaller turboprop plane which is currently going out of Concourse D.

If that flight to IAD is cut will I get any notification from United, or will they just reschedule me on another flight? We are taking the daytime flight to LHR, and I don't want to be moved to the overnight flight. We'd be willing to go to IAD the day before to make the daytime flight. We'd also be somewhat willing to drive to IAD the day before, but we prefer to fly there.

Any ideas? Should I call United now and ask for a notation on the reservation? Just sit tight and keep an eye on united.com?

If that flight to IAD is cut will I get any notification from United, or will they just reschedule me on another flight?

Maybe, maybe not. It's ALWAYS best to periodically check, just in case something changes and you do not get notified by the airline. :)

I would just keep an eye on my itinerary and go into your MP profile and make sure you are set up to receive notifications. That doesn't mean you'll get them, but you have a better chance.

Likely you won't get them. Only get them if your flight changes and you have not acknowledged/accepted the change.

Check your flights weekly. If flights schedules change UA will automatically rebook you -- but I have seen many weird reschedules including what you fear the overnight flight.

Edited by PaulMCO

United booked us on other flights when ours was changed. I didn't like what they gave us. I called and they quickly and politely put us on flights that suited us better. This has happened to us twice in less than a year.

On one occasion we ended up with a great flight that I didn't book originally because tickets were way more expensive;).