AmaStella or AmaSerena newbie question

Trekker954

We are planning to book two caibins for a Christmas Market river cruise on the AmaStella next year.

While experienced cruisers, we are new to River cruises. Since these are port intensive and we do not expect to be in our room except to sleep we can save $1400 each cabin by selecting one of the Piano (lowest) desk Cat E, fixed windows over the higher deck sliding windows,

Are their public rooms where we can sit and relax, chat, play cards, etc, with windows we an see out?

We are on the Serena next week for our 6th AMA cruise - they are a wonderful line and the Christmas markets are our favorite time to be in Europe!

We travel with good friends who always choose the lowest deck and lowest price. Their cabins have always been spacious, well appointed and very comfortable. The only difference of course is the view and the fact that there is no elevator access.

The main lounge on a river ship is always the hub of shipboard life. Along with the sun deck, that is where everyone will be. Panoramic windows provide wonderful views and it is a social ambiance on board, much like an oversized living room.

I will be posting live on the River Cruise forum if you are interested.

Happy planning!

Thank you, I look forward to your live report. We went ahead and booked the Stella for next's year Christmas Market.

If we were sailing during nice weather, we would have opted for a balcony. I don't anticipate being in the room other than to sleep.

I read that the Stella offers complimentary wine and beer at lunch and dinner. I assume the lounge sells drinks. Are we permitted to bring a bottle of wine onboard for consumption in our cabin?

Thank you, I look forward to your live report. We went ahead and booked the Stella for next's year Christmas Market.

If we were sailing during nice weather, we would have opted for a balcony. I don't anticipate being in the room other than to sleep.

I read that the Stella offers complimentary wine and beer at lunch and dinner. I assume the lounge sells drinks. Are we permitted to bring a bottle of wine onboard for consumption in our cabin?

AMA only charges corkage (which is reasonable) if you want to drink your own wine in the Lounge. In your cabin, or in the dining room -- no problem.

The regular wines on board are pretty good too (depending on the region you are sailing in). And the dining room wine pourers are very generous. Get your glass topped up just before you leave, and you have your first Lounge drink gratis. [Then you have an empty glass, and a bottle in your cabin -- and no one knows what you do during those "bathroom" breaks. But as a Host, I could never suggest doing anything illegal. ;)]

Edited by Host Jazzbeau