AMEX Platinum cruise benefits question

Hi all,

I booked my next RCCL cruise using my Amex Plat card. The cruise benefits offered are:

Two-category upgrade or up to $300 per stateroom shipboard credit (depending on ship and category booked)

Complimentary dinner for two in specialty restaurant

Bottle of premium champagne

Does anyone know how the dinner works? Is it first night only (like HAL) and which restaurant? (Ill be on FOS) Thanks in advance!

Host Dan

I have the Plat but have never booked through them as my TA gives 10% OBC which is usually quite a bit higher. But I would be interested in knowing how you make out with regard to the 3 cat upgrade. The last time I called to check, RC was not one of the lines participating in this program. Please keep us posted!

Also, as I'm sure you are aware, we can now choose an airline and receive up to $200 in credits for things like baggage fees, meals, drinks, etc. It's one of my favorite benefits.

I have the Plat but have never booked through them as my TA gives 10% OBC which is usually quite a bit higher. But I would be interested in knowing how you make out with regard to the 3 cat upgrade. The last time I called to check, RC was not one of the lines participating in this program. Please keep us posted!

Also, as I'm sure you are aware, we can now choose an airline and receive up to $200 in credits for things like baggage fees, meals, drinks, etc. It's one of my favorite benefits.

Any TA can get you the AMEX benefits. I booked a GS, so got the $300 SBC instead of the upgrade, so cant comment on that. RCCL have been participating since last fall.

Host Dan

Edited by Host Dan

Dan, I booked directly with RCCL. Do you know if I would call AMEX or the cruise line to have benefits applied? For some reason I seem to recall that the SBC or upgrade and Crown and Anchor Balcony discount could not both be used.

Hi all,

I booked my next RCCL cruise using my Amex Plat card. The cruise benefits offered are:

Two-category upgrade or up to $300 per stateroom shipboard credit (depending on ship and category booked)

Does anyone know how the dinner works? Is it first night only (like HAL) and which restaurant? (Ill be on FOS) Thanks in advance!

Host Dan

I specifically asked if the dinner was any night of our choice and the ans was yes. I leave Sunday on FOS so I will find out if that is correct . :eek::eek:

Dan, I booked directly with RCCL. Do you know if I would call AMEX or the cruise line to have benefits applied? For some reason I seem to recall that the SBC or upgrade and Crown and Anchor Balcony discount could not both be used.

many times promotions cannot be combined. If you decide that the amex benefit is better, I believe you will need to transfer the booking to any TA, and have them contact amex on your behalf.

Host Dan

Any TA can get you the AMEX benefits. I booked a GS, so got the $300 SBC instead of the upgrade, so cant comment on that. RCCL have been participating since last fall.

Host Dan

Interesting. Hadn't re-checked the RC benefit since since I first got the card.

I just booked a cruise and haven't transferred to my TA yet. Hoping the Amex OBC is separate agreement that won't cost my TA anything so that I might be able to have both. That would be SAWEET!

I also booked a GS and so I'm sure the OBC would be the better option for me as well.

Interesting. Hadn't re-checked the RC benefit since since I first got the card.

I just booked a cruise and haven't transferred to my TA yet. Hoping the Amex OBC is separate agreement that won't cost my TA anything so that I might be able to have both. That would be SAWEET!

I also booked a GS and so I'm sure the OBC would be the better option for me as well.

The OBC will not cost your TA anything.. Enjoy!

:)

Host Dan

many times promotions cannot be combined. If you decide that the amex benefit is better, I believe you will need to transfer the booking to any TA, and have them contact amex on your behalf.

Host Dan

We got the same promotion in the mail. Our experiance was the same, it sounded great and turned out to be the same as what we got from our RCCL Visa, and you can't combine the promotions.

Seems like the companies that offer these rewards know how far they are willing to go. We use Amex for our timeshare and that really racks up points but Visa for cruising.

Unfortunately for Canadians as of December 2012 RCI was not a partner with the Canadian Platinum Amex card. I could have a large amount of OBC for our next 4 cruises which are all suites.

Maybe they will work with RCI in 2013 and I can take care of that lost OBC opportunity.

Andrew

So would I.:D

2 category upgrade?! Does this mean if you book the highest cat balcony that you get a free upgrade to a GS?!

Our experience has been upgrades only within the same category, with upgrades not always available in all categories and/or for all sailings - depending on the cruise line. Once you reach the higher accommodations, OBC often replaces an upgrade. However if, for example, you're taking advantage of a C&A Diamond balcony discount or a cruise line (not TA) special offer of onboard credit, free gratuities, reduced air, free specialty dinner, etc., you can't combine benefits and have to choose between cruise line benefits and Platinum privileges.

Hi all,

Host Dan

We booked LOS with the platinum card. We got:

$200 OBC

2 tickest Chops any night

2 soda packages for kids

1 spa treatment ($100 value)

1 bottle of champagne

2 Johnny Rockets ($10 value)

double points on AMEX

priority boarding

We booked through AMEX travel.

Was worth it.

Then price went down next day and we called AMEX and we received difference in OBC + 10%.

So how does this work? The way I read it, I choose Airline X, and then I get up to 200 dollars of fees waived, but, only on Airline X.

So how does this work? The way I read it, I choose Airline X, and then I get up to 200 dollars of fees waived, but, only on Airline X.

Correct. You have to call to enroll in the program and tell them which airline you are choosing. I did this just over a year ago and recently received an email asking if I would like to change my airline or leave it the same for this year. So, even though this wasn't explained to me when I enrolled, apparently you can change from year to year which makes sense. I'm not sure if they would allow you to change in between.

Correct. You have to call to enroll in the program and tell them which airline you are choosing. I did this just over a year ago and recently received an email asking if I would like to change my airline or leave it the same for this year. So, even though this wasn't explained to me when I enrolled, apparently you can change from year to year which makes sense. I'm not sure if they would allow you to change in between.

We booked LOS with the platinum card. We got:

$200 OBC

2 tickest Chops any night

2 soda packages for kids

1 spa treatment ($100 value)

1 bottle of champagne

2 Johnny Rockets ($10 value)

double points on AMEX

priority boarding

We booked through AMEX travel.

Was worth it.

Then price went down next day and we called AMEX and we received difference in OBC + 10%.

My benefits are similar via the plat AMEX. However, my TA offers me the same, sometimes better deals.