Knock Off Purses

Neals6

I remember reading about a shop in the bahamas that sell knock offs. can someone tell where it is located. Its been years since i have been to the bahamas maybe i need a refresher course:) The item i am refering to is pocketbooks.

I remember reading about a shop in the bahamas that sell knock offs. can someone tell where it is located. Its been years since i have been to the bahamas maybe i need a refresher course:) The item i am refering to is pocketbooks.

There is an informative message thread about them on the Fashion Board. Here's a link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=519009

BTW, did you know they are illegal? And for several very good reasons?

There is an informative message thread about them on the Fashion Board. Here's a link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=519009

BTW, did you know they are illegal? And for several very good reasons?

I agree with you.... about the several good reason.

However, I happen to find the quality of knock offs pretty poor.

I am not rich, however, I would be ashamed to walk around with a knock off

I have two REAL Coach purses and I love them. There is no way to duplicate the authenticity of a real one. :) So why throw away money on a cheap replica when you can save up a bit more longer and get the real deal. It has a much bigger pay off in the end.

Just my 2 cents! :D

I have two REAL Coach purses and I love them. There is no way to duplicate the authenticity of a real one. :) So why throw away money on a cheap replica when you can save up a bit more longer and get the real deal. It has a much bigger pay off in the end.

My wife is the same way . She has a purse fetish that has gone beyond obsession. *LOL*

We go into NYC quite often , you can get knockoffs of purses, watches you name it on every street corner. Some of it is so so at best, most of it is crap. I wouldn't know fake from real, but my wife can spot a phoney a mile away, and she even says the fakes fall apart in no time and aren't even worth the bargain basement prices they are asking.

DW picked up 3 Pradas in Nassau, one for each DD and one for her. They're very nice quality and averaged $30.00 a piece. Dw went into one store, I forget which island, where they were selling Fendi purses, I'm sorry, $800.00 for a purse, not going to happen.

It is illegal in the states to sell them, not to buy them. I don't know about the Bahamas. I have a knock off Prada I bought in Vegas and it's not even close to looking like a real one. The knockoffs they sell in the islands are not the same styles that the designers make and are pretty easy to spot as fakes. I have a real Dooney & Bourke I recently bought and while not as expensives as a real Prada or Fendi, it's a nice purse which I bought for the style, not the name.

We saw people with armloads of purses coming back to the ship from the Straw Market on our last two cruises and you'd think they had the real thing as giddy as they were about their purchases. I'm not entirely sure that everyone knows they're knockoffs. I will not buy another one. There's lots of controversy over who is profiting from them.

I don't remember seeing a real Coach store in Nassau, but they sell designer everything else there so my guess is there is one. There is a purse forum online that discusses all things related to designer purses and authenticity. From what several people have reported, there are plenty of celebrities who also carry fakes, just as they wear fake jewelry. Most of the "real" designer purses you see celebs carrying were given to them.

There is a Coach store in Nassau, I wanted to go in but as it was early Sunda when we docked it was not open yet.

As for them all being made in china for pennies, that not entirely true, most are made in New York for pennies as well, yes we still have sweat shops here too. I bought a knock off in Nassau but i am not a person who cares about labels, I just happened to come across a bag I liked. It could have been here at TjMaxx or Target and I still would have bought it.

I think the real-deals and the knock-offs are ALL made in China anyway. The workers are paid pennies to make them and the companies make millions selling them!! :mad: IMO...

You think, you don't know for sure? Would you rather those people making "pennies" as you say not have jobs at all? Most of the places where manufacturing is done is because the cost of living is much, much lower and wages can be lower and still be much more than these people doing the work could make doing anything else. And most everything you own was manufactured outside the US by people paid less than here. Companies are in business to make money.

Either way, it is illegal to sell fakes and as long as people buy them there will be a demand. At least with the real thing you have a warranty for the workmanship and there is a demand for them also. That's why we in the US have such a high standard of living. We live in a capitalist, free market economy.

You think, you don't know for sure? Would you rather those people making "pennies" as you say not have jobs at all? Most of the places where manufacturing is done is because the cost of living is much, much lower and wages can be lower and still be much more than these people doing the work could make doing anything else. And most everything you own was manufactured outside the US by people paid less than here. Companies are in business to make money.

Either way, it is illegal to sell fakes and as long as people buy them there will be a demand. At least with the real thing you have a warranty for the workmanship and there is a demand for them also. That's why we in the US have such a high standard of living. We live in a capitalist, free market economy.

Another side of the coin to consider on why American manufacturing companies flock to these overseas countries.

Yes like you mentioned , their standard of living is cheaper so they can pay less in wages. But also these companies don't have to deal with the BS in these countries that they have to here in America that also drives up costs of running a business.

An American company in some underdeveloped nation opens a plant hires a bunch of locals and says "you sit here from this time to this time x days a week and do this and on Friday you will get a check for X

End of the story,

They don't have to deal with

Unions (ya know what some of these grievance settlements cost? and many of them are nonsense)

Affirmative action

federal quotas

OSHA

Maternity leave

sick days

vacation days

family leave

Insurance

Oh I banged my toe and the doctor sent me to the orthopedist, who sent me to the therapist , who sent me to the nuerologist , who sent me to the other guy who wrote me a note that I have to be off for six months , and then when I come back I can only work half a day for the next six months. All the while getting my full pay. People in those countries cultures would never dream of pulling a fast one like so many in this country have mastered down to a way of life.

When I see the BS that goes on just where I work and what some of this frivolous nonsense costs. I can't totally blame some of these companies.

There is a Coach store in Nassau-it is downtown.

Where a lot of people have tons of shoes-I have tons of handbags. When we built our house I had a special closet built just for my purses. Even my hubby realizes I am obsessed. Last year when we went to Las Vegas for my birthday he went to the Coach store and bought me a real nice purse and suprised me with it. And he hates shopping so that was something for him.

I own several Coach handbags and if you want the real deal I suggest going to a Coach Factory Outlet. You can save 30-50% and get the real thing. You can find them at a lot of factory outlet malls (trust me I know this for a fact).

It is illegal in the states to sell them, not to buy them. I don't know about the Bahamas.

The problem is that by you bringing in a pirated brand item back into the US it means that you are importing the item. Under USC Title 19, this is illegal.

Trademarked and Copyrighted Articles

CBP enforces laws relating to the protection of trademarks and copyrights. Articles that infringe a federally registered trademark or copyright or copyright protected by the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works are subject to detention and/or seizure. Infringing articles may consist of articles that use a protected right without the authorization of the trademark or copyright owner or articles that copy or simulate a protected right.

Articles bearing marks that are counterfeit or inappropriately using a federally registered trademark are subject to seizure and forfeiture.The importation of articles intended for sale or public distribution bearing counterfeit marks may subject an individual to a civil fine if the registered trademark has also been recorded with CBP. Articles bearing marks that are confusingly similar to a CBP recorded registered trademark , and restricted gray market articles (goods bearing genuine marks not intended for U.S. importation for which CBP granted gray market protection) are subject to detention and seizure.

I recently visited the Straw Market, and was amazed by what they were asking for really bad knock-offs (e.g., $100 for a bad LV knockoff duffel).

I wasn't interested, so don't know how much they would have discounted it after bargaining. But it's obviously counterfeit. Obviously illegal. Why even go down that road?

Thank you. I realise anyone who is determined to buy a knock off handbag will still do so, but at the least they should be fully aware of what they are buying and the story behind it. And since I've heard that knock offs are obvious and aren't fooling anyone, I'm just restating your comment--and trying to get a point across.

If I may, I would suggest supporting the local economy by buying what they make themselves. I bought a straw hat in Dominica, because I had learned the local citizens make and sell them. Not as glamorous, of course, as a (fake) bag with an expensive name, but my hat was authentic and hand made. And legal, besides. My two cents. :) Thanks again.

Well, here's a weird twist.

I have a really nice Gucci bag that's been sitting in my closet. I really haven't used it. Now I'm a little embarrassed to now because everyone I know is aware that I cruise and will think it's a cheap little knock off that I picked up in some market! :o

I have several "real" Coach purses, I would never buy a fake Coach, simply because they want to much for the fakes, go to an outlet or to e-bay to get your Coaches. I did however buy a fake LV at a purse party, it seemed good quality and was right on with the stlye, I paid $80. new it sells for $1200. The more expensive ones go for a fake but Coach and D&B just go to e-bay.

There are plenty of knock offs there, friend bought a LV it fell apart in 2 weeks, daughters LV is going strong after 2 years. She doesn't carry everyday but has quite a bit.

There is a Coach store in Key West, didn't go in but heard it was like a factory store I think she said that they made them there.

I can tell the difference between the fakes and the real ones. Wierd as it may seem I see more fakes these days then real ones. I have a really bad purse obsession . My LV that I bought 6 years ago still looks great it feels different then the fake ones . My sister has a fake LV and the staps are coming apart after less then 6 months .

• 5 months later...

i know this is a old post but i saw a documentary on the making of "fake" handbags, in actuality majority of the bags are not fake and are made by the same people that make the authenic ones the only difference in the bags are the material being used is of a cheaper quality than the "authenic" material. I have a purse fedish as well and i own authenic and a couple less authenic brand purses and to be honest to just see a purse you are only assuming if its authenic or less than, there is no way to spot a purse just from eye view and tell if it was made with the more expensive or less expensive material. there are some like DB that have BB and the LV that has the design but no letters i mean ok thats obvious but the rest are made by the same people just less expensive material, and selling the purses for their own profit instead of persay for the profit of Coach owner etc... the only way to tell if a purse is less authenic is if you get down to looking at the decals on the purse and the inside labels, example prada.. all of prada metal decal will be one color not the outside zipper silver and the inside gold but all one color the label will be a medal stitched in label on the inside the older being rectangle and the newer being triangle on the outside also the inside will have prada stiched material also all the metal decal will have prada engraved on it, so unless a person takes the time out to examine someone elses purse this way i do not believe u can really tell, coach..coach wears out because of the material whether leather or reg material coach starts to look old regardless so if that is what you all are going by thats irrelvant. I am a person i prefer authenic just because its the point of doing the right thing but if u put what would be a $1200 purse in front of me for $40 and i like the style im sorry im buying it just like getting acrylic nails put on they are fake but you get them, just like hair weave its fake but you wear it.just my 2 cents....:cool:

i think the real question is why are people traveling to the bahamas to get knock off purses when you can get there anywhere in the states??

i know i know, you aren't going to the bahamas SPECIFICALLY for purses, but why spend valuable island time searching for knock offs you can get at your local farmers market.

i live in suburban philadelphia and can get them in philly of course, but can also get them in little shops, farmers markets, and fairs. there is no way i would waste vaulable space in my luggage for junky bags.

Archived