Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Bermuda

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old June 8th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default What beaches are best in Bermuda...16month old

We will be cruising on the Dawn with our 16 month old in August and wanted to know what beaches everybody would recommend. We are looking for a beach that is close to the dock and is convenient since we have the little guy. What other things would you recommend we do and see in Bermuda...King's Wharf to be exact. Thanks in advance!

Old June 8th, 2007, 10:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

We loved Elbo Beach which is just past Horeshoe Bay Beach. They were about a 10 minute cab ride. Elbo is less crowded. I heard you can take a bus there but we didn't want to wait.
Norwegian Dawn- July 2007 *BEST CRUISE*
Norwegian Dawn- June 2008
Norwegian Dawn- June 2010

Old June 8th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Right next to where the Dawn docks is Snorkel beach. It is in walking distance but not the greatest beach in Bermuda. They have eating and restroom facilities and a jungle gym. If you are a beach family, take a cab or the bus over to Horshoe Bay. It is the greatest of beaches and it has eating and restroom facilities. The ride from Kings Wharf is about 30 to 40 minutes. I did not see any car seats so you may want to bring yours.

Old June 8th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

There is a very pleasant beach right close by where the ship docks at Kings Wharf. Nothing special in the way of scenery but perfect to let your little one put their feet in the water.

Old June 8th, 2007, 11:32 PM
20,000+ Club

In St george you have Tobacco bay which is a very sheltered beach with lots of fish. I wouldn't go to Ft ST CAtherine's beach as it has significant surf. Horseshoe bay has a lot of amenities can be crowded but it is fairly sheltered but sometimes the surf can get rough. I am not sure about Elbow beach but from Kings Wharf the Dockyard, Horseshoe is closer. Ten minutes??? maybe from Hamilton. Also at Kings warf is snorkle park with a very rocky beach but again with a bathroom....but most small children would be happy with a splash pool on a balcony.

Ad Sponsored By
Old June 9th, 2007, 12:16 AM
Cool Cruiser

for little kids
snorkel park in dockyard (although it is rocky in the water. Bring water shoes)
Tobacco bay in St George
John Smith Bay is a nice family beach. Might be a bit harder to get to though

I think horseshoe and elbow would be too rough even with the small cove at horseshoe.

1987 Chandris Galileo, 1989 Celebrity Meridian, 1991 Celebrity Meridain, 1992 Celebrity Horizon, 1994 NCL Dreamward,
1996 Celebrity Zenith, 1998 NCL Crown, 2000 Celebrity Zenith, 2002 RCCL Nordic Empress, 2003 Celebrity, Zenith..the trip north..thanks Fabian,
2004 RCCL Empress of the Seas, 2005 NCL Crown, 2006 RCCL Empress of the Seas, 2007 RCCL Adventure of the Seas,
2008 Carnival Miracle, 2009 NCL Dawn, 2010 NCL Jewel, 9-11-2011 Carnival Miracle, 2012 Carnival Miracle. 2013 RCCL Freedom of the Seas,
2014 RCCL Explorer of the Seas. 2015 Carnival Pride

Vacation Countdown Clock Generator

Old June 9th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Cool Cruiser

A good beach that is closer to King's Wharf is Somerset Long Bay. There are lots of trees for shade, and the water is both shallow and calm. There used to be picnic tables near by, but it's been a while so don't quote me on that.

Along the South Shore, I would reccommend Stonehole Bay, Chaplin Bay, or Jobson's cove. They are smaller than Horseshoe and Elbow beaches, but in my opinion are much prettier. Jobson's cove is good for the little guy as it is completely enclosed by rock formations, making the water calm.
RCCL Liberty of the Seas, Western Caribbean, January 5-10, 2013

Old June 9th, 2007, 11:24 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calrissian13 View Post
A good beach that is closer to King's Wharf is Somerset Long Bay. There are lots of trees for shade, and the water is both shallow and calm. There used to be picnic tables near by, but it's been a while so don't quote me on that.

Along the South Shore, I would reccommend Stonehole Bay, Chaplin Bay, or Jobson's cove. They are smaller than Horseshoe and Elbow beaches, but in my opinion are much prettier. Jobson's cove is good for the little guy as it is completely enclosed by rock formations, making the water calm.
Horseshoe has facilities. And a lifeguard. That I would think would be a plus for Horseshoe. The best I have seen for small children is John Smith Bay. Has toilets and a lifeguard but I would say to far from Kings Wharf. So I vote for Horseshoe. When facing the ocean, to the right is a shallow protected area that is good for small children.

Old June 9th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

This is just an FYI to others who might be looking for a good beach for a toddler. We really enjoyed Fort St Catherine's Beach last year with our 14 month old. There was no surf and it was a perfect beach morning for us. Here is a review I posted of our cruise http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=21336

I tried to include the info I was looking for before our cruise. These boards were very helpful.

Old June 10th, 2007, 08:44 AM
50,000+ Club

Our favority beach in Bermuda for adults and children is Horseshoe Bay Beach.

Keith

Old June 10th, 2007, 10:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Talking

Thanks for your suggestions!