Photography with an iPad

philv

I got an iPad Air 2 for Christmas and wonder what people think about photography with an iPad. I always thought people looked stupid taking pictures with their iPads but the Air 2 has an 8 megapixel camera, my snapshot camera is 5 mp. I'm not talking professional level photography, just taking snapshots while cruising. Thoughts?

I got an iPad Air 2 for Christmas and wonder what people think about photography with an iPad. I always thought people looked stupid taking pictures with their iPads but the Air 2 has an 8 megapixel camera, my snapshot camera is 5 mp. I'm not talking professional level photography, just taking snapshots while cruising. Thoughts?

Do whatever works best for you, in a manner that is not disruptive to others. That said, the light given off by a tablet in a dark theater or room is a lot greater than the light given off by a camera and could be disruptive to others, and the "airspace" blocked by a tablet held out or over one's head is a lot more obstructed than the space blocked by a person holding a camera up to their eye. So if you choose to use a tablet to take photos, remember to be considerate of those around you.

Do whatever works best for you, in a manner that is not disruptive to others. That said, the light given off by a tablet in a dark theater or room is a lot greater than the light given off by a camera and could be disruptive to others, and the "airspace" blocked by a tablet held out or over one's head is a lot more obstructed than the space blocked by a person holding a camera up to their eye. So if you choose to use a tablet to take photos, remember to be considerate of those around you.

I hadn't even thought of those points. Thank you. Now I'm thinking my little point and shoot is more practical.

I recall seeing an elderly gentleman hauling around an iPad (completely unprotected and not even in a case) in the Butterly garden in Victoria, BC—a cobblestone, slick, uneven and rough surface—and our party basically thought he was insane.

Personally, I've had enough experiences with people holding up iPads in the air, blocking the view of others without any regard, all to take very poor pictures (*hint* it's much more difficult to hold an oblong, awkward, slick-to-the-fingers camera still enough to take good pictures, regardless of how many megapixels it has...).

My husband and I usually watch such persons with bated breath, waiting for the inevitable drop and satisfying crash of glass that it produces. (*hint* get a protective case. You will eventually drop it.)

People who walk around w their tablets do look totally stupid. Your 5 mp digital camera has to be a million years old. You spent or someone spent the money for an expensive iPad for Christmas. You can get a new camera that will run circles around your dinosaur for $200 - $300. Junk the old one and buy a new one.

DON

I like to use my Ipad to take pictures from my balcony, and if I am on the deck reading, it is easy to take a couple of photos if you see something interesting. But I would never take my ipad on an excursion off the ship, or even carry it around the ship to take photos. My camera takes much better photos, and it is easier to carry. Like someone said, trying to take a photo with your Ipad is hard as they don't have those easy handles.

Despite what the camera manufactures would like for you to believe, it's not "all about the mega pixels". Not even close. Sensor size and optics play a bigger role. We don't know what camera you have or the age of the technology in it but I can almost guarantee it will take better pictures than your iPad and be MUCH less obtrusive to others and easier for you to carry. My Samsung Galaxy S5 (phone) has 16mp but it doesn't take near the quality pictures as my Canon SX50 with 12.1mp and I know how to configure both of them for optimal pictures in any scenario. If it's in your budget, I'd suggest purchasing a new camera even if you have to keep it on auto mode (which isn't optimal). I'm bringing my Samsung Galaxy Note 10" tablet but it won't be for taking pictures!

I have this iPad and use it for videoing the grandchildren - occasionally use it for single shots.

For out and about on holidays I much prefer my basic model Panasonic HD video camera which also takes single shots.

Small, lightweight and has zoom in/out facility - and it wasn't too expensive.

iPads are no substitute for proper cameras.

IPad Air 2 sucks. Reason? Small sensor on iPad Air 2 compared to even your 5 mp P&S. It's not the number of mp that's important but also other factors like size of camera's sensor and optics.

However iPad's and latest camera phones are OK for taking snapshots and video clips in good light, not good when light is dark, or in high contrast situations for example: trying to take photos or videos of performers spotlighted in the ship's theater. Will not be good photos with extremes in bright/shadows. Overloads the iPad's/camera phones sensor..

Plus as others have said, the LCD on iPad and cell phone is bright and distracting to other theater goers around you. :mad:

iPad and camers phones are great for instant uploading photos to email, and social media sites ie. Facebook, Instagram, etc..

Best to bring both.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

We're still anxiously awaiting witnessing someone drop an iPad overboard while trying to take pictures. It will happen... It will happen...

On last cruise, i saw a women trying to take a picture of the sunset drop her brand new iPhone 6 plus overboard. :eek: She was in tears.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

People who walk around w their tablets do look totally stupid. Your 5 mp digital camera has to be a million years old. You spent or someone spent the money for an expensive iPad for Christmas. You can get a new camera that will run circles around your dinosaur for $200 - $300. Junk the old one and buy a new one.

DON

And why, do they look totally stupid? :confused:

That was also said by naysayers a few years ago about those who took photos and videos with camera phones. Look now. :cool:

image.jpg.f055e0f686b790f3d5106612b64ee8d4.jpg

Edited by Kingofcool1947

We're still anxiously awaiting witnessing someone drop an iPad overboard while trying to take pictures. It will happen... It will happen...
That reminds me of a classmate of mine who accidentally tossed her camera into the Thames while we were on a tour. Alcohol was involved.

And why, do they look totally stupid? :confused:

That was also said by naysayers a few years ago about those who took photos and videos with camera phones. Look now. :cool:

People who use camera phone do so only because they don't have a real camera with them. The pictures are getting better but will never compare to a basic digital camera. In a pinch I would use my tablet but their a joke to use for a real substitute.

People who use camera phone do so only because they don't have a real camera with them. The pictures are getting better but will never compare to a basic digital camera. In a pinch I would use my tablet but their a joke to use for a real substitute.

On last cruise, I carried both iPhone 6 plus, and a real camera(s).

BTW: the iPhone 6 Plus camera is much better than on iPads.

iPad 6 Plus:

New 8-megapixel iSight camera with 1.5µ pixels

Autofocus with Focus Pixels

ƒ/2.2 aperture

Optical image stabilization (iPhone 6 Plus only)

True Tone flash

Five-element lens

Hybrid IR filter

Backside illumination sensor

Sapphire crystal lens cover

Auto image stabilization

Auto HDR for photos

Improved face detection

Exposure control

Panorama (up to 43 megapixels)

Burst mode

Tap to focus

Photo geotagging

Timer mode

Edited by Kingofcool1947

My Samsung Galaxy S5 (phone) has 16mp but it doesn't take near the quality pictures as my Canon SX50 with 12.1mp

Except ... when the SX50 is in the cabin because it is big and a pain to carry around all the time...

20% of our photos are with our GoPro

10% with the SX40 and

70% with the phones ... because while they may not have a great lense and take the best ... we almost always have them with us.

I hadn't even thought of those points. Thank you. Now I'm thinking my little point and shoot is more practical.

I dont iPad but my wife does. She like it and it does a great job in daylight or where there is sufficient lighting. Where there is low light iPAD is not a good choice. The print quality of the ipad photos is not very good.

One thing great about iPAD is the instant gratification, you can take picture and review and share them instantly and not having to wait to download or convert them. This is not possible with Point&shoot or SLR.

You will love the photos taken on iPAD so go for it...

I dont iPad but my wife does. She like it and it does a great job in daylight or where there is sufficient lighting. Where there is low light iPAD is not a good choice. The print quality of the ipad photos is not very good.

One thing great about iPAD is the instant gratification, you can take picture and review and share them instantly and not having to wait to download or convert them. This is not possible with Point&shoot or SLR.

You will love the photos taken on iPAD so go for it...

It depends on the quality of images you are satisfied with, and your end use. email, web, large or album prints?

And it's not entirely true re: not being able to instantly share images if using digital cameras.

There are new DSLR's and compact cameras that have built in wi-fi. You can upload your images to Internet, web, and email with ease. You can send your images from camera to your wireless devices like tablets and smartphones. Why do that? Larger screen to view and edit your images. Show your images to others on a larger LCD screen. Very easy to do.

One thing to remember is the smaller the sensor, the more difficult it is to get a good enlargement without pixelation/artifacts, or crop you image for composition.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

On last cruise, i saw a women trying to take a picture of the sunset drop her brand new iPhone 6 plus overboard. :eek: She was in tears.

OUCH!! Plus the fact that she's out $200 to get it replaced - IF she has the Apple insurance on it, or roughly $700 if she doesn't. I know my homeowner's insurance doesn't cover mine.

To be brutally honest with you, you have just said what I think in your own words.

An old compact film camera could do a much better job at photography than any iPad in existence. They are not designed for photography and regardless of how many megapixels it has the quality will always be poor and the image saturated with "noise" and fake digital enhancements.

You will get better results with your snapshot camera.

If you want me to get into the technical side of it then read on. If your not interested in the technical side then no need to read past this point.

An iPad has an extremely small lens and also sensor. That means less light is reaching the sensor meaning you need a slower shutter speed, higher ISO rating and you need to rely on more image stability controls and after editing on a processor. Overall this contributes to extremely poor images. Old film cameras can produce much better images than these iPads.

A snapshot is designed as a camera and can function with quicker shutter speeds due to the size of its sensor and lens. Light reaches the sensor quicker meaning you will always get crisper and clearer photos than any iPad or mobile phones. You will also have a better built lens quality opposed to the cheap plastic used by the iPad which again deteriorates its quality.

If you want to talk professional photography then anyone who owns a DSLR with full frame (35mm) sensor can take professional shots, their cameras come with large sensor, lenses which are crystal opposed to plastic. The DSLR cameras are manufactured by multimillion dollar companies with high paid design teams and the cameras truly are worth what people pay for them. The more you pay the better it is. These cameras are the tools of peoples trades and can generate considerable income for them.

To be brutally honest with you, you have just said what I think in your own words.

An old compact film camera could do a much better job at photography than any iPad in existence. They are not designed for photography and regardless of how many megapixels it has the quality will always be poor and the image saturated with "noise" and fake digital enhancements.

You will get better results with your snapshot camera.

If you want me to get into the technical side of it then read on. If your not interested in the technical side then no need to read past this point.

An iPad has an extremely small lens and also sensor. That means less light is reaching the sensor meaning you need a slower shutter speed, higher ISO rating and you need to rely on more image stability controls and after editing on a processor. Overall this contributes to extremely poor images. Old film cameras can produce much better images than these iPads.

A snapshot is designed as a camera and can function with quicker shutter speeds due to the size of its sensor and lens. Light reaches the sensor quicker meaning you will always get crisper and clearer photos than any iPad or mobile phones. You will also have a better built lens quality opposed to the cheap plastic used by the iPad which again deteriorates its quality.

If you want to talk professional photography then anyone who owns a DSLR with full frame (35mm) sensor can take professional shots, their cameras come with large sensor, lenses which are crystal opposed to plastic. The DSLR cameras are manufactured by multimillion dollar companies with high paid design teams and the cameras truly are worth what people pay for them. The more you pay the better it is. These cameras are the tools of peoples trades and can generate considerable income for them.

Huhh?

You lost me. a snapshot..........?:confused:

Also, most lenses on tablets/smartphones (iPad's/IPhones) use glass not plastic optics.

Huhh?

You lost me. a snapshot..........?:confused:

Also, most lenses on tablets/smartphones (iPad's/IPhones) use glass not plastic optics.

Larger lens and larger sensor will always = quicker shutter speed in any light.

slower shutter speeds i.e. iPads will be prone to camera shake and motion blur. Hence anything designed as a camera will produce much crisper and clearer photos than any iPad of phone.

In ordinary talk any camera compact or SLR will literally crap over any iPad or phone in terms of image quality.