Epic solo traveler Studio questions

ParrothdJH

Have always cruised with a companion or groupbut am considering solo on the Epic in January or February. Although I'll miss my balcony the studios seem to be the way to gofor single cruisers. Any info from cruisers who have used the studios and studio lounge would be appreciated

For lots of sailings I found the studios being more expensive than inside cabins booked for one person.

The cabin itself is fine and well layed out but after cruised twice on the Epic in a studio cabin my decision for the next cruises is solely the price combared to an inside.

I am not a huge fan of the living room as well. If you are a coffee drinker the coffee machine might be a plus for you. Apart from that I never found it to be a great place to stay. Neither people nor ocean watching possible.

For lots of sailings I found the studios being more expensive than inside cabins booked for one person.

The cabin itself is fine and well layed out but after cruised twice on the Epic in a studio cabin my decision for the next cruises is solely the price combared to an inside.

I am not a huge fan of the living room as well. If you are a coffee drinker the coffee machine might be a plus for you. Apart from that I never found it to be a great place to stay. Neither people nor ocean watching possible.

Thanks for the input

LOVED the studio cabin I had on the Epic. I sailed her within the first year so things may have changed a bit but here were some of the things I really enjoyed:

- Nightly "get together" for those sailing in the studios. We had quite a few that gathered every night. As a solo traveller I thought it was nice to meet other passengers and make some plans for dinner or events.

- They had a 2 for 1 happy hour at the nightly get togethers. Again a great way to meet other solo travellers and was nice to have some drink specials

- We had a representative from the Entertainment staff that came to our nightly meetings that helped arrange some special events for the Studio group. The magician came in one night for a casual magic show for us. We also had one of the Blue Man Group (sans makeup) that came in to talk about how he got in the BMG, etc. She also helped arrange a very nice dinner for some of us which included some complimentary wine.

If I were travelling solo again I would consider this in a heartbeat! I enjoyed the atmosphere and had a great time.

Just did the Barcelona to Miami Transatlantic on the Epic as a solo. I loved my Studio cabin -- plenty of room for one -- and the Studio Lounge. I'm not a coffee drinker but others said that the coffee machine in the Lounge made the best coffee on the ship. There was a variety of cereals and danish in the Lounge every morning, and salads, sandwiches and cookies later in the day. Met lots of friendly people of all ages at the 5:30 PM gathering. (The average age of all guests on this sailing was 57.) Our solo coordinator Fernando did a great job. He arranged dinner every night in one of the MDRs for those interested, and we often had 20 or more solos attend. He also had sign-up sheets for dinner in the specialty restaurants and for a visit to the Ice Bar. I'm not a big Norwegian fan (I'll write up some comments on the cruise soon) but for solo travelers, I think Norwegian does it well.

I just sailed in one for two weeks, and would do it again in an instant. I am not a big breakfast person, but the one day I did need something, it was great to go to the living room for coffee and a pastry, rather than battling the buffet before all of the excursions left. The get togethers were great especially at first before I made new friends and went off and did things with them.

I loved the cabin, the location and highly recommend it.

I'd echo some of the other comments but add that the nightly gatherings are for all solo travellers not just studio travellers, I'm back in a studio on Breakaway next April but this time on Epic I opted for a balcony cabin and loved it!! I'd rank the cabins I've stayed in as Balcony then Studio then inside.

I've just told my cruise consultant to get me another balcony for next years TA :)

As Sally has said after a few solo gatherings you tend to form friendship groups but it's always a good meeting point.

Just did the Barcelona to Miami Transatlantic on the Epic as a solo. I loved my Studio cabin -- plenty of room for one -- and the Studio Lounge. I'm not a coffee drinker but others said that the coffee machine in the Lounge made the best coffee on the ship. There was a variety of cereals and danish in the Lounge every morning, and salads, sandwiches and cookies later in the day. Met lots of friendly people of all ages at the 5:30 PM gathering. (The average age of all guests on this sailing was 57.) Our solo coordinator Fernando did a great job. He arranged dinner every night in one of the MDRs for those interested, and we often had 20 or more solos attend. He also had sign-up sheets for dinner in the specialty restaurants and for a visit to the Ice Bar. I'm not a big Norwegian fan (I'll write up some comments on the cruise soon) but for solo travelers, I think Norwegian does it well.

Just curious but how did you figure out the average age of all guests on the sailing?

I just sailed in one for two weeks, and would do it again in an instant. I am not a big breakfast person, but the one day I did need something, it was great to go to the living room for coffee and a pastry, rather than battling the buffet before all of the excursions left. The get togethers were great especially at first before I made new friends and went off and did things with them.

I loved the cabin, the location and highly recommend it.

I'm doing a solo studio in March on the Epic and looking forward to the experience. It'll be my 1st NCL cruise, I've been branching out to other lines and liked Disney and Princess much better than CCL, hopefully the Epic will feel like an upgrade too! And it's been a long time since I've seen BMG.

Archived