Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Caribbean > Progreso/Merida (Mexico)

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old July 2nd, 2013, 07:17 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Oct 14-18 NOLA: Elation

This is my first trip from this port. It stops buy Progresso and Cozumel. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for new travelers to these parts? I have been reading some of the boards, but there are so many options. We are up for anything! Thanks in advance!

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 5th, 2013, 08:33 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROUDARMYWIFE2008 View Post
This is my first trip from this port. It stops buy Progresso and Cozumel. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for new travelers to these parts? I have been reading some of the boards, but there are so many options. We are up for anything! Thanks in advance!
Hi!
I just got off the Elation yesterday. It was a good cruise. I actually enjoyed my stop in Progresso more than Cozumel. I booked the Uxmal ruins tour with AutoProgresso. When getting outside the shopping market you have to walk through, AutoProgresso had their buses on the left. You didn't have to a reservation and they will let you know what tours offered.
I suggested to my tablemates their beach break. They all loved it. It was an open bar and buffet. The beach was nice (better in Cozumel), but they raved on the service, drinks and food.
My ruin tour was only nine people. We had a mini van with a driver and guide. The ride was a little over a hour long. He didn't talk the whole time. We gave great info and we had time on our own. We got back to the pier with 45 minutes left.
At the ruins, it was not crowded and plenty of photo ops
I hope this helps

CRUISES
Carnival Fascination (3 day Bahama cruise) 2001
MV Columbia (7 day back to back Alaskan inside passage cruise) 2002
Oosterdam (7 day Western Caribbean cruise) 2004
Westerdam (7 day Western Caribbean cruise) 2005
Carnival Miracle (7 day Western Caribbean cruise) 2006
Maasdam (10 day Southern Caribbean cruise) 2007
Maasdam (14 day Southern Caribbean cruise) 2008
Carnival Fantasy (7 day Key West and Bahamas cruise) 2009
Carnival Triumph (5 day Western Caribbean cruise) April 2010
Maasdam (11 day Southern Caribbean cruise) December 2010
Carnival Dream (7 day Western Caribbean) September 2011
Peru! Lima to Machu Picchu April 2012!
Carnival Elation (5 day Western Caribbean cruise) June 2013

Old July 5th, 2013, 10:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Thank you

Thank you for the info. Anything helps. We will definitely take your advice into consideration! I am trying to keep a running log of things to do. It seems like a long time, but it will be here before we know it...

Old July 22nd, 2013, 12:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

I will be on Elation 10/28! I've been to Cozumel several times but never Progresso. The first time we were in Cozumel we did a taxi tour. We talked to several drivers outside of the port, found the one who spoke the best English...I think it was $40 for the day and he stopped at several different places and beaches including the tequila tour which itself was over an hour. The next time we did swim with the dolphins and once we did Paradise Beach...all are very close to the piers and I highly recommend.
(Acapulco)
Carnival Glory- Feb. 7-14 '09
(Nassau/Blackbeard's Cay)
Carnival Holiday- Oct. 15-19 '09
(Cozumel)
Costa Fortuna- Feb. 21-28 '10
RC- Enchantment of the Seas- Jan. 17-29 '11(Samana)
Carnival Conquest- April 15-22 '12
Carnival Elation- October 28-November 2 '13

Old July 30th, 2013, 12:53 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hello fellow 10/14 cruiser!
From what I understand it is a loooong pier. Does anyone know the details on the shuttle?
Are there several beach bars at the end of the pier/shuttle?

UPCOMING:
11/2/14-CCL Dream - 7 Day - Cozumel, Belize, Roatan

PAST CRUISES:
10/14/13 - CCL's Elation - 5 day - Progreso & Cozumel Mexico - Group of 13 friends - Video
11/24/12 - HONEYMOON - RCI Oasis of the Seas - 7 Day - Caribbean (Labadee, Falmouth, & Cozumel) Video - Blog
01/16/12 - CCL's Fascination - 5 Day - Key West & Nassau
10/02/11 - CCL's Legend - 7 day - Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, G. Cayman
- Video! Blog
10/17/10 - RCI's Serenade of the Seas - 7 day - (San Juan, St. Thomas, Dominica, Curacao, Aruba) Video
01/07/10 - CCL's Fantasy - 4 Day - W. Carib - Cozumel - BLOG
04/19/09 - CCL's Legend -7day- W Carib - Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, G. Cayman - West Coast Swing Dance Cruise with 200 dancer friends Blog
11/28/08 - NCL's Sky - 3 day - Nassau & Great Stirrup Cay Bahamas BLOG
08/31/08 - CCL's Sensation - 4 day - Bahamas (Freeport, Nassau & Hurricane Hanna!)
12/07/07 - RCI's Sovereign of the Seas - 3 day -Bahamas (Nassau & Coco Cay) - BLOG
01/20/07 - CCL's Holiday - 5 day - Cozumel - BLOG ; Tulum blog
Days at sea: 57

Old July 30th, 2013, 12:55 AM
Cool Cruiser

We have switched ports. We are now going to sail out of Tampa where some of my other girlfriends are sailing out of. I wish you all the best. Happy sailing!

Old July 30th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Cool Cruiser

The shuttle bus is free back and forth. A cab would be about 5 dollars. As soon as you get off the shuttle it is just a couple of blocks to the main drag. Plenty of bars right along there. Buddy's is a god place. Grab a table by the water and they will serve you there. There are a lot of vendors who pass by and musicians who want to play you a song, but they do no bother us that much. Photo of daughter and I at Buddy's. One reason I like it is because it's my name LOL. Have fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaMH View Post
Hello fellow 10/14 cruiser!
From what I understand it is a loooong pier. Does anyone know the details on the shuttle?
Are there several beach bars at the end of the pier/shuttle?

screenshot utility

Next Up Carnival Triumph,10/21/13 Carnival Magic, 3/16/14 RCCL Navigator, 11/16/14

Old July 30th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the info!! It sounds like everything is walkable once of the pier? We will have to find Buddy's too - it IS a great name! (Our puppy's name also, lol.)

We are a group of 5+ couples aged 21-40. We will be doing the bar hop in Cozumel, but definitely like the beach bar opportunities it looks like we will have in Progreso.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CENTEX CRUISER View Post
The shuttle bus is free back and forth. A cab would be about 5 dollars. As soon as you get off the shuttle it is just a couple of blocks to the main drag. Plenty of bars right along there. Buddy's is a god place. Grab a table by the water and they will serve you there. There are a lot of vendors who pass by and musicians who want to play you a song, but they do no bother us that much. Photo of daughter and I at Buddy's. One reason I like it is because it's my name LOL. Have fun.

screenshot utility

UPCOMING:

PAST CRUISES:
10/14/13 - CCL's Elation - 5 day - Progreso & Cozumel Mexico - Group of 13 friends - Video
11/24/12 - HONEYMOON - RCI Oasis of the Seas - 7 Day - Caribbean (Labadee, Falmouth, & Cozumel) Video - Blog
- Video! Blog
10/17/10 - RCI's Serenade of the Seas - 7 day - (San Juan, St. Thomas, Dominica, Curacao, Aruba) Video
04/19/09 - CCL's Legend -7day- W Carib - Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, G. Cayman - West Coast Swing Dance Cruise with 200 dancer friends Blog
08/31/08 - CCL's Sensation - 4 day - Bahamas (Freeport, Nassau & Hurricane Hanna!)
12/07/07 - RCI's Sovereign of the Seas - 3 day -Bahamas (Nassau & Coco Cay) - BLOG

Old July 30th, 2013, 10:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

You might grab a beer and ride the double decker bus for $3 PP. You catch it right where the shuttle lets you off.

Next Up Carnival Triumph,10/21/13 Carnival Magic, 3/16/14 RCCL Navigator, 11/16/14

Old July 30th, 2013, 11:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Can you drink and ride in Progreso?

UPCOMING:

PAST CRUISES:
- Video! Blog