Are these prices the new normal?

KKB

About $500RT from OMA to FLL...SO much higher than we have paid in the past. (we paid that to fly over NYEve this year!!)

Would love to do SWA but it will require another day off even to get the latest flight...

But other airlines really aren't more, except baggage fees--and we have cruised enough we can minimize luggage to golf clubs & one large checked bag.

SO we need an evening flight (day before)...not many options (and it isn't terribly more than early flights)...

We are 7 months out. (Oct. cruise)

Do I book now?

Hope for a sale & pray prices don't go UP?

Any advice is helpful!

Thanks!

Some reading on this board will give you all the info you need. Research- sounds like you have done lots- is the key. Fares rarely go down. If there are sales, they don't always apply to your travel dates and needs.

If yous ee a fare that looks good, buy it and don't look back.

I do remember a couple cruises ago seeing $500 fares, waiting & getting about $375...

But gas prices are getting so high & the "word" seems to be that this is the new normal.

PLUS needing that late flight...

I was anticipating $500 RT each..

I was just hoping for good news...

Sigh....

Ah, when I could get $500 7 day cruises & $250RT air...:rolleyes:

It is no secret for the airlines that the giant cruise ships sail out of FLL. Thousands of cruise passengers need seats on airplanes.

The only way to get a lower priced ticket is either to fly on days that do not match up with cruise departures or wait for sales.

If you are tied up with a work schedule, then waiting or booking now are your options.

OMA being a small, undersevered airport offers you few options.

OMA being a small, undersevered airport offers you few options.

It's not under served, it's under used. If the carriers thought they could fill more planes, they would add more flights. If airlines that that there would be profit in serving that airport, they would do so.

I would look at flights out of KCI as well. It might be worth the three hour drive.

It's not under served, it's under used. If the carriers thought they could fill more planes, they would add more flights. If airlines that that there would be profit in serving that airport, they would do so.

I would look at flights out of KCI as well. It might be worth the three hour drive.

Yep, checked KC, too, but we would still have to take that extra day off.

Thinking I might wait watch fare for a bit...but not too long. I'll be checking daily!!

Our son is going to school in Fort Worth--OMA runs about $400-450RT, Kansas City $200!!! We live in Lincoln, so hour to OMA or 2.5 hrs. to MCI--WELL worth that savings!

Check flights through West Palm Beach. You'll have to rent a car (or take a shuttle) but there may be more options there.

The fact is that airlines are flying fewer flights and they are full - so they can demand a higher fare. It's frustrating when you see a fare one day and go back to book 2 days later and either all of the seats are gone, or the fare is $200 higher. My lesson learned over the last couple of years is to book the minute you see a decent fare, because it may not come back.

Under used is an interesting idea about OMA. I know that when I have to fly there from DFW my choices are few. Also the fares have been increasing over the yfears. The planes are always full with no chance of upgrades.

Under used is an interesting idea about OMA. I know that when I have to fly there from DFW my choices are few. Also the fares have been increasing over the yfears. The planes are always full with no chance of upgrades.

All flights to and from all airports are running full, and fares have increased 30-100% over the past couple of year. Until they are flying all flights at capacity with stand-by's left at the gate on a regular basis, an airline will not have a financial motive to add additional service to an airport.

As far as upgrades, they are given to the most frequent flyers starting a week out. Business air travel is back to pre-9/11 numbers, making paid upgrades at the gate almost impossible. I can't remember the last time I didn't see a first class compartment full of frequent flyers with free upgrades.

Check flights through West Palm Beach. You'll have to rent a car (or take a shuttle) but there may be more options there.

The fact is that airlines are flying fewer flights and they are full - so they can demand a higher fare. It's frustrating when you see a fare one day and go back to book 2 days later and either all of the seats are gone, or the fare is $200 higher. My lesson learned over the last couple of years is to book the minute you see a decent fare, because it may not come back.

Checked WPB--a tad less, but not enough to justify it after you have to pay for car or shuttle.

I do like to get a good deal, but anymore with airfares the gamble isn't worth the risk to wait for a sale. My question is--is $500 a ticket now a decent fare?:rolleyes:Sigh....

Thanks, all!

Checked WPB--a tad less, but not enough to justify it after you have to pay for car or shuttle.

I do like to get a good deal, but anymore with airfares the gamble isn't worth the risk to wait for a sale. My question is--is $500 a ticket now a decent fare?:rolleyes:Sigh....

Thanks, all!

While I don't 'like' a fare of $500 per person for your routing, I can't predict if a lesser one will turn up and if you are able to find it. I keep records on fares paid would book that fare for myself........ but wouldn't be thrilled. I would like that fare to be at least 10% less.

I have a lot of status with a major airline and am often upgraded on other routes, but not in or out of OMA due to the low rate of unsold seats and many people with higher airline status than I have. The natural gas and Keystone people take up a lot of those tickets and their companies are not sensitive to what those tickets cost. You are purchasing in a tough market to find bargains.

We were paying $350 max RT anywhere...just seems the jump was large & sudden. But I am afraid it is the status quo.

Just as with gas prices...if they had gone up a bit at a time over the years, I wouldn't even think about it...

Ah, well, the flights WILL be booked, sooner than later...cruising is always worth it!!

Thanks, all!

If you can manage your bags, and pack light- which is simple to do for a 7 day cruise, TriRail is excellent and cheap.

We were paying $350 max RT anywhere...just seems the jump was large & sudden. But I am afraid it is the status quo.

Just as with gas prices...if they had gone up a bit at a time over the years, I wouldn't even think about it...

DING-DING-DING !! :D

Fuel is the biggest cost for the airlines. Over the years, I've found a good correlation between prices at your corner gas station and airfares. Projected fuel costs are priced into airfares. Airlines have fuel hedges, and Southwest did a great job with theirs. But they expired and now most airlines are on pretty equal ground with their hedges.

There are about 20% fewer seats (supply) flying around the US, while demand is starting to pick up. So, for these and other reasons, the answer to you question is generally "yes".

Archived