Capilano Canyon Walk & City Highlights - Hotel/Airport (Princess)

Has anyone taken either of these two post-cruise excusrions, after departing a Princess cruise in Vancouver?

Capilano Canyon Walk & City Highlights - Hotel

or the Capilano Canyon Walk & City Highlights - Airport.

We are disembarking the Coral in August on a Satuday, and not flying home until Sunday. Since we arrive so early in port, this looks like a good excursion to see some of the area and get to the hotel for the night, about the time we can check.

Here is what we can't figure out and will probably contact Princess & hope the person I talk too gives us the correct answer. More times than not, the CC members give better advice.

So the the one that ends up at the airport, says "for flights departing after 4:00PM that day". That is fine for us, since we are not leaving until the next day, and have a reservation at the Airport Hilton for the night. If they carry the luggae on board the tour bus, when we arrived at the airport, we would just gather our luggage, call the hotel to send their shuttle and be set. The way it's worded, I am not sure if they want you to use the EZ-baggage, or whatever it's called, to where they take you luggage from the ship, to the airport, check it onto you flight, and you pick it up when you get home. We would not want that to happen.

The other option, that drops you off at the hotel, sounds more what we would like to have, however it says "to several downtown hotels". I don't think the Airport Hilton is considered "downtown" and of course, they don't actually list any of the hotels. We could stay at the Hampton Inn, that says downtown, but no airport shuttle and have to take a taxi to the airport. We want to avoid any taxi/trains if possible for going between the hotels & airport with all the luggage. We will stay in a Hilton chain hotel on points, so only have a couple of options.

I have seached & found, what is probably the actual tour operators they use, and their descriptions are about the same, and would want to be sure they did not so something special for Princess.

We have never been through Vancouver airport, so not sure if Princess would even have that EZ-baggae check available to passengers & at the end of the tour, you are just dropped off at the airport, and collect your luggage from the bus.

Any help would be appreciated and hoping to find someone who has take either tour.

Thanks

I think you've basically got the logistics already - for a cruiseline tour they will keep your bags on the coach, as there is no EZCheck in Vancouver (customs & immigration want your bags to be with you).

That said - if you haven't already booked don't! They're literally reselling pre-existing tours from well-respected independent providers, jacking up the price, and flipping to USD for even worse value. The exact same tour for less, or a superior version that lasts longer and usually still costs less, is always readily available with pickup at the pier.

If it's just the canyon, then I believe this is a cut-down version of LandSea's 'peak and canyon' post-cruise tour that skips Grouse. Frankly though, even the 'real' version of these tours is weaksauce - too-short-stops at sites without sufficient time to truly experience them.

Since you have all day, no flight to worry about, by far the best qualitative thing to do, and if you add up all the numbers the cheapest as well, is to send your bags to the airport from the pier (CDS Baggage) for $40 (first 4 bags, $10 per extra). You can collect them from their office until very late, at least 11:30pm, which gives you total flexibiliuty to actually stay downtown as long as you want.

To see Capilano, board the free shuttles right outside the pier. $40pp entry, spend as long as you want, then get the shuttle back OR stay over on the North Shore and head up to Grouse Mountain. Grouse also have a free shuttle, but coming all the way back downtown to get on it is very inefficient so just spring for a cab (<$15) or jump on the local transit buses ($2.75pp) as Grouse is on the same road as Cap. Also possible is to go to Grouse first, when done use their shuttle but ask them to let you off at Cap - they literally drive right past so a buck or three to the driver should take care of the inconvenience.

Spend the evening downtown - far more dining options than near the airport Hilton - and take in a show or an open-later attraction like FlyOverCanada or the Harbour Centre observation floor with your savings. Head out to the airport by SkyTrain for a whopping $2.75pp (weekends or after 6pm weekdays), collect your bags at CDS airport office, get free hotel shuttle.

I think you've basically got the logistics already - for a cruiseline tour they will keep your bags on the coach, as there is no EZCheck in Vancouver (customs & immigration want your bags to be with you).

That said - if you haven't already booked don't! They're literally reselling pre-existing tours from well-respected independent providers, jacking up the price, and flipping to USD for even worse value. The exact same tour for less, or a superior version that lasts longer and usually still costs less, is always readily available with pickup at the pier.

If it's just the canyon, then I believe this is a cut-down version of LandSea's 'peak and canyon' post-cruise tour that skips Grouse. Frankly though, even the 'real' version of these tours is weaksauce - too-short-stops at sites without sufficient time to truly experience them.

Since you have all day, no flight to worry about, by far the best qualitative thing to do, and if you add up all the numbers the cheapest as well, is to send your bags to the airport from the pier (CDS Baggage) for $40 (first 4 bags, $10 per extra). You can collect them from their office until very late, at least 11:30pm, which gives you total flexibiliuty to actually stay downtown as long as you want.

To see Capilano, board the free shuttles right outside the pier. $40pp entry, spend as long as you want, then get the shuttle back OR stay over on the North Shore and head up to Grouse Mountain. Grouse also have a free shuttle, but coming all the way back downtown to get on it is very inefficient so just spring for a cab (<$15) or jump on the local transit buses ($2.75pp) as Grouse is on the same road as Cap. Also possible is to go to Grouse first, when done use their shuttle but ask them to let you off at Cap - they literally drive right past so a buck or three to the driver should take care of the inconvenience.

Spend the evening downtown - far more dining options than near the airport Hilton - and take in a show or an open-later attraction like FlyOverCanada or the Harbour Centre observation floor with your savings. Head out to the airport by SkyTrain for a whopping $2.75pp (weekends or after 6pm weekdays), collect your bags at CDS airport office, get free hotel shuttle.

Thanks for detailed response on this as gives us some other options to look at. We have the excursion booked with Princess, but sounds like with the option you have given us, we won't need to keep it.

I agree with above - forget the tour and DIY as both Capilano Suspension Bridge and Grouse Mtn offer a FREE shuttle bus right from in front of the cruise ship terminal....

Regarding your luggage - my suggestion is leave it with the doorman of the Pan Pacific Hotel (also located right on top of the cruise ship terminal) for a small fee + tip.... then when you are finished your sightseeing garb your luggage and head to your hotel. If you still want to use a hotel near the airport ( I too would change to a downtown Vancouver hotel ) then I would definitely recommend the Fairmont Vancouver Airport Hotel located right on top of the airport terminal... in the morning all you have to do is ride the elevator downstairs then walk to your gate...

We use this hotel prior to early morning flights....