Planning NE ports, please help!

ETaylor1015

In Portland, renting a car is a very good idea. There are about 5 lighthouses in and around the Portland area, all within an easy drive. You should be able to make it to Kennebunkport also. A nice town for lunch and just wandering around.

Bar Harbor-if you want to get to the summit of Cadillac Mt, you need to either hike it or take the tour from Ollie's. Depending on the weather, a trip to the top of Cadillac Mt will be spectacular or immersed in clouds or fog.

Another option in Bar Harbor, when the tide is low, you can walk along the ocean floor to Bar Island, a small island about 1/4 mile from Bar Harbor. When the tide is high it is under 30 feet of water, but at low tide, the walk is great.

Peggy's Cove is completely different from the Portland Head Light. It is an old, much smaller light house and in a very small quaint town of Peggy's Cove. The drive there is great also. If you are a light house person, you won't want to miss it.

As for the reversing rapids, personally, I don't know what all the fuss is about. You have to be there basically at the exact time the water flows from one direction to the other and really, I found it no big deal at all.

A few pixs to help you decide

The Portland Head Light

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/Maine/IMG_3892_zps17c690b5.jpg

Peggy's Cove light house

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/canada/canada/IMG_4561_zpsd4kh8ysa.jpg

Walk to Bar Island

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/Maine/IMG_3473_zpsea7cec03.jpg

Acadia Park (view from Thunder Hole)

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/Maine/IMG_3504_zpsa965157b.jpg

Village of Peggy's Cove

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/canada/canada/IMG_4578_zpsbddz3ool.jpg

Cheers

Len

Thanks Len! The pics really help!

I've been to Boston at least a dozen times. My suggestion for the first timer would be the hop on hop off. You definitely want to do the Freedom Trail and Fanuielle hall. Along the freedom trail you'll pass a small cemetery where the original mother goose is buried.

Do you recommend the bus instead of what 138 east suggested above ? Does both options take you to see everything?

Does th hop on hop off bus pick up at the cruise port?

I'm going ....

By the way, if someone could tell me how much time I'll need to walk over to Bar Island and back, that would be appreciated. I know I have to go according to the tide schedule, but can't figure out how long the walk itself might be. It's also a little disconcerting to hear that the view isn't so great from over there. Len, thanks for the picture - looks like a long walk.

I've read that on Oli's Trolley, you have to shoot through windows. Is that true? I personally think that the area of Southwest Harbor is a lovely place to be - but of course harder to get to, and farther away than some of the other places in Acadia. My advice, too: Watch the timing on the Explorer bus in late fall. Also, I think it ends Columbus Day or the day after.

The distance from the top of the tender dock ramp located on West St to Bar Island is a little less than ¾ mile and should take 15 minutes to and return. This does not include any time spent on Bar Island which when I was there a few years ago the trail on the island was overgrown; maybe it's been cleared. For low tide, you have 1 hour before and after predicted low tide to do the walk.

As for Oli's Trolleys, they have roll up windows so you can take clear pictures along the way plus at the numerous stops that are made.

I don't agree that Southwest Harbor is a lovely place; there is not much there compared to Northeast Harbor or Bar Harbor unless your visiting by car. What I consider lovely is NEH which has a very picturesque harbor.

olis.jpg

Half way to Bar Island facing south:

BH_Panorama1_red.jpg

SBtS

Edited by SailBadtheSinner
speling

Hi "I want to live over the sea"! You give some great tips! I read that Olies trolley stops at the special views for 15 minutes each for pictures. The 2.5 hour tour seems to take you to all the hot spots. Can anyone comment if a bar harbor whale cruise at 9:30 am and the oli trolley tour at 2:00 seems reasonable to do in one day at port ?

Is the town of St John nice to spend a day in? It seems like the reversing Rapids is pretty close by? What else is nice to do ? I got the feeling the sea caves are overrated , I saw something like them in Hawaii . Is this a wrong impression or a must see at low tide?

You raise a good point regarding the rental place in Portland. I too am reserved at enterprise. They said they would come pick me up but didn't say anything about waiting on other cruise passengers. Maybe we should take an uber or taxi and beat the crowd and be there waiting at 9:00 when they open!

I reserved a car in Halifax at budget in the same area as enterprise.

Still waiting to see if anyone knows if there is a big difference in seeing whales in one port vs another ?

Can't help with whales in each port. We did do a whale watch "cruise" when we honeymooned in Canada long ago, but I don't know anything about whales in New England. I'd make sure they're around in the fall - really don't know. I personally think whale watching is a little over-rated - lots of time on the water with (usually, I think) minimal sightings that go by quickly. But everyone's different.

I haven't been to St. Martin yet, so can't tell you what I think about the caves. Some things get posted on CC or Trip Advisor and then the whole world seems to flock to those places. I try to research things a lot by myself and find what works for me (and that my husband will go along with). I do know that when we were in Saint John in 2000 on our first cruise, we did enjoy the city. It's easy to find things near the port. There was a little outdoor music festival going on when we were there that we enjoyed, although you may not be as lucky in the fall. (We did that cruise in August, I think.) If you have time to have it mailed to you, the Saint John tourism office has a good booklet on SJ and the area. I think I found it by going to tourismsaintjohn.com. If not, you can probably google it, using "Saint John" New Brunswick." As for the caves, there's the Fundy Parkway close by, 2 covered bridges in St. Martin, and a modest lighthouse not far away, so that's what I'm choosing for my second trip to Saint John. But the city is nice, too, and there are buses to the reversing falls and maybe a HOHO to make it easy to get outside the compact portside area - which is certainly nice.

Enterprise in Portland told me it would probably be $10 or less for a cab to their location.

I personally think you're thought about doing 2 things in Bar Harbor is doable, assuming you don't have to travel much between start of tours.

Sail Bad, thanks for the info on Oli's windows, and Bar Island info. Also, I was probably thinking of NEH rather than Southwest - thanks.

Hello, my husband and I are going on our first NE cruise Sept 22 on the anthem of the seas. We just booked yesterday so not a lot of time to plan. We are in our mid 30's, like to see as much as possible , and don't like group tours if we can avoid them. Here are our ports with my questions I have and recommendations we need. Please share your thoughts! We are from south Florida and have never been to New England !

Please keep in mind we want to whale watch in one of these places. Which one is best?? Also want best places to eat lobster!

St John New Brunswick - what's the easiest way to get to reversing Rapids and sea caves? Are these must see's? Can you still take a boat in the Rapids? Couldn't find it.

Thanks for your help!!

I pulled out what I wanted from that Saint John booklet I mentioned, so can't look for it. However, I DO remember the Lachine (?) Rapids trip advertised in there. I would google it.

Do you recommend the bus instead of what 138 east suggested above ? Does both options take you to see everything?

Does th hop on hop off bus pick up at the cruise port?

There is a trolley stop at the Cruiseport when ships are docked. It is a connector trolley that will take you to stop 1 at Faneuil Hall where you transfer to the main trolley loop.

IMO you have to decide if you want to ride around on a trolley all day or if you actually want to see some of the sights closer up. Downtown Boston is a maze of narrow, mostly one way streets, which means that in many cases the trolley can only get you within walking distance. A good example is the North End area where you have to walk into the Old North Church and Paul Revere House. There is no way you are going to get the real flavor of the North End from a trolley ride around the periphery. The reason the Freedom Trail is so popular is that it is an organized walking route through old Boston so that tourists can actually find the out of the way places.

IMO you won't have enough time in one day to hop on and off at every trolley stop.

There is a trolley stop at the Cruiseport when ships are docked. It is a connector trolley that will take you to stop 1 at Faneuil Hall where you transfer to the main trolley loop.

IMO you have to decide if you want to ride around on a trolley all day or if you actually want to see some of the sights closer up. Downtown Boston is a maze of narrow, mostly one way streets, which means that in many cases the trolley can only get you within walking distance. A good example is the North End area where you have to walk into the Old North Church and Paul Revere House. There is no way you are going to get the real flavor of the North End from a trolley ride around the periphery. The reason the Freedom Trail is so popular is that it is an organized walking route through old Boston so that tourists can actually find the out of the way places.

IMO you won't have enough time in one day to hop on and off at every trolley stop.

Thanks! Will stick with the walking then! Is the area where the union oyster house is in the area of the walking route ?

Thanks! Will stick with the walking then! Is the area where the union oyster house is in the area of the walking route ?

The red bricks of the Freedom Trail go right past the front door of the Union Oyster House on Union St. And just across Hanover St. is Boston Public Market, which has great stuff there.

Thanks everyone! These are some helpful tips!

Is the Trolly tour in bar harbor something that can be booked last minute depending on the weather ? It sounds like it may not be worth going to top of Cadillac mountain in fog? How long does the Trolly tour take? The low tide the day we are in bar harbor is at 2:00 pm. Would we have time to visit some of Acadia park in the morning and walk the sea floor at 2:00 pm and make it back to the ship by 5:30pm ? How far is the sea floor walk from the ship and how much time do we need? If we need to do an alternative of the Trolly to get back for sea floor in time , what would be another option to see the park? Does uber run in bar harbor , and how far is Acadia from cruise port?

Finally , is late September even season to see the whales? If we went from Boston would we likely see them?

If you are looking for photo ops and really not exploring then you do have time for both. While we never did Ollie's, from all who have, it is a very good tour that will take you around ANP and see some of the main sites. It is really a photo op and a preview of the park, really making you want to come back.

As for the walk to Bar Island, as was said, Bar Island itself is nothing special, it's the idea that you are walking on the ocean floor and never knowing what you might find. We saw kids chasing little crabs, my DW found a nice star fish and you certainly do not have to walk the about 1/4 mile to Bar Island. You can just spend an hour just wandering about a land mass that will be under 30 feet of water in a matter of hours. Leave whenever you want and head back to the tender.

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/Maine/IMG_3471_zps562452a8.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/Maine/IMG_3470_zps382a8d9f.jpg

Cheers

Len

If you are looking ......

it's the idea that you are walking on the ocean floor and never knowing what you might find. We saw kids chasing little crabs, my DW found a nice star fish and you certainly do not have to walk the about 1/4 mile to Bar Island. You can just spend an hour just wandering about a land mass that will be under 30 feet of water.....

The tidal range for Bar Harbor is approximately 12.5 feet, not 30 feet.

SBtS

The red bricks of the Freedom Trail go right past the front door of the Union Oyster House on Union St. And just across Hanover St. is Boston Public Market, which has great stuff there.

And the New England Holocaust Memorial in the small park area in front of the Union Oyster House.

• 2 weeks later...

The best whale watch would probably be from Boston. There's one that goes from the Aquarium and another nearby. The boats go out to the shallower Stellwagen Bank where the whales are attracted to feed on their favorite eels. However, these are 4 hour trips, so you'd lose a half day of sightseeing in the city.

Agree with the rest above, don't bike in Boston.