Campbell River, Vancouver Island

Hi

Has anyone visited Campbell River on VI? I am staying there for a couple of days pre cruise at beginning of September and looking to do a Bear view tour,

anyone have any experience of this?

That will take a full day. Open to suggestions as to what I could fit in for an afternoon before this trip.

Thanks in advance.

Pat

We've spent some time in Campbell River as boaters. The area is known for its forests, logging and superb fishing. You might enjoy a half day fishing charter. You'll see marine mammals, sea birds, and maybe catch a salmon. Another idea is to rent a car and visit one of the area's provincial parks. There is a rugged beauty to this area.

Campbell River is a small town. Roads are good. Car rental shouldn't be an issue. Re a fishing charter...yes, they provide all the gear, will bait the hooks, and do all the work.

If you're in the area for any length of time - I remember a nice lunch with great water views at Painter's Lodge (a few years ago.)

Do you have time for a couple of days at Knight Inlet lodge? A floating lodge, it is a float plane ride away but you can get a package which includes return flights and accommodation. You fly in and out of Campbell River and the lodge is magical. It's not cheap but you see bears and other wildlife with great accommodation and delicious food. We had a hire car and just left it at the float plane jetty and picked it back up on our return, they are used to guests doing this.

Hope you have a great time.

Unfortunately not, Kristal. I fly into Vancouver pin the Wednesday, Overnight at the airport then fly to CR the next day have two nights and two days there then fly back to Vancouver and stay one night in the Pan Pacific before taking the cruise.

Wish I could have booked longer but not able to.

Really looking forward to it though.

Maybe next year!

I was born and raised in CR. I would likely still rent a car. Elk Falls is beautiful. I would google "things to do in CR" not sure about a bear watching tour but fishing would be a great adventure. A trip to Quadra Island and the First Nations museum would take up a few hours. Let me know if there's anything else. We live in Victoria now and that's the usual tourist spot.

Thanks Krev. My priority this year is to see bears! So I'm taking a tour to see grizzlies. I will take a look at what else to do - I quite fancy fishing but had shoulder surgery last year so may not be the wisest thing to choose!

Hi Kelly

It is on the mainland but going from CR via boat so hoping to see Whales etc., too.

Would like to see Black Bears whilst in CR - do you know a company that do tours there?

I have some booked in Alaska for Black & Brown bears.

Unfortunately not, Kristal. I fly into Vancouver pin the Wednesday, Overnight at the airport then fly to CR the next day have two nights and two days there then fly back to Vancouver and stay one night in the Pan Pacific before taking the cruise.

Wish I could have booked longer but not able to.

Really looking forward to it though.

Maybe next year!

If you stay at Painters Lodge or April Point Lodge (sister lodges across the narrows from each other) they do fishing charters as well as wildlife tours. The fishing at the "Hump" or "Green Can" during the appropriate tides can be phenomenal. There is salmon, halibut, ling cod, red snapper, etc. The wildlife tours head up north towards Stuart Island, Bute Inlet, Frederick Arm, Phillips Arm... Its BEAUTIFUL there and usually a pod of dolphins or killer whales kicking around. We spend a ton of time in that area during the spring, summer and fall (its literally my backyard!!)

Thanks Rivergal. I have now decided to rent a car whilst there so will be hoping to see Elk Falls whilst there. I'm hoping the trip to see the grizzlies will enable me to see whales, dolphins etc., I think with my shoulder injury I will have to forgo the fishing trip but maybe next year!!

What a beautiful place for a backyard! Really getting excited to see it just wish I could spend more time there

It's a gorgeous part of the world. I just wish our Alaska cruise went through the inside passage. I've been through the "Narrows" lots of times and can't even imagine how little room there is on either side of the cruise ship. You'll enjoy it and "Rivergal1" gave you some excellent advice. Although I was born and raised there I left at 22 so really don't know the adventure companies.

Enjoy.

Edited by krev

Thanks Rivergal. I have now decided to rent a car whilst there so will be hoping to see Elk Falls whilst there. I'm hoping the trip to see the grizzlies will enable me to see whales, dolphins etc., I think with my shoulder injury I will have to forgo the fishing trip but maybe next year!!

What a beautiful place for a backyard! Really getting excited to see it just wish I could spend more time there

There is a new suspension bridge at Elk Falls that opened last year. I havent been there but have heard its pretty cool. There is a hike that takes you to a lookout over Ripple Rock, not sure how long it is, but its on my list of things to do :)

If you like sushi, there is a fantastic sushi place called Miki's right across from Tyee Marine. Its a place we always stop when in CR.

It's a gorgeous part of the world. I just wish our Alaska cruise went through the inside passage. I've been through the "Narrows" lots of times and can't even imagine how little room there is on either side of the cruise ship. You'll enjoy it and "Rivergal1" gave you some excellent advice. Although I was born and raised there I left at 22 so really don't know the adventure companies.

Enjoy.

Ive seen and experienced those cruise ships in the inside passage. There isn't a whole lot of room when they go past Browns Bay and they give off a giant wake that is not condusive with trying to sleep on a boat :rolleyes:

• 5 months later...

I am still going to CR next month pre my Alaskan cruise but now wondering whether hiring a car for just two days, when I will be on a tour for one whole day, is the right thing to do.

Will I get transport easily to take me from airport to hotel, hotel to harbour etc., is it a walkable town or do I stick with the car hire and get myself out there?

Comments appreciated.

Thanks

Pat

I am still going to CR next month pre my Alaskan cruise but now wondering whether hiring a car for just two days, when I will be on a tour for one whole day, is the right thing to do.

Will I get transport easily to take me from airport to hotel, hotel to harbour etc., is it a walkable town or do I stick with the car hire and get myself out there?

Comments appreciated.

Thanks

Pat

We just spent two weeks in the CR area. What hotel are you staying at? CR is a small town so it's easy to get around. Renting a car depends on what you want to do when not on your tour. If you want to go to Elk Falls and the suspension bridge then you'd need one. The bridge is really cool and an easy hike from the interpretive centre.

We were at Browns Bay for the past week, lots of cruise ships and whales, just beautiful.

We did the Ripple Rock hike a few days ago, I wouldn't recommend doing it alone and you'd most definitely need a car if you do decide to do it. Gorgeous view of the Narrows.

I would highly recommend the museum, it's very well done.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks Kelly. I am staying at the Comfort Inn & Suites on Shoppers Row. Still undecided, maybe I could rent a car just for the one day I'm not on the tour and get to Elk Falls - not sure I can do a suspension bridge these days - couldn't make it over the Capilano Suspension Bridge last year :-(

Or should I spend the day in town and wander around the harbour etc.,? Decisions, decisions :-)

Thanks

Pat

Thanks Kelly. I am staying at the Comfort Inn & Suites on Shoppers Row. Still undecided, maybe I could rent a car just for the one day I'm not on the tour and get to Elk Falls - not sure I can do a suspension bridge these days - couldn't make it over the Capilano Suspension Bridge last year :-(

Or should I spend the day in town and wander around the harbour etc.,? Decisions, decisions :-)

Thanks

Pat

That's a very nice looking new hotel. Remind me again how long are you in town for? There's not too much to see downtown but certainly you are close to things. If you don't want to rent I'd suggest the wander and then go to the pier for an ice cream cone, they make their own waffle cones, so yummy. The pier opened about three weeks before our second baby was born, it was a favourite place to go while awaiting my July baby!

You could always catch a cab to the museum or even walk, not really all that far. The suspension bridge isn't nearly as long as Capilano but I still had to take a deep breath!

Thanks Kelly - I am only there for two days - fly in Thursday morning and back to Vancouver on Saturday morning.

Having re-looked at a few of the websites I think I will stick to my original plan and use the car to go to Elk Falls etc., everyone gives the park a great review. My only worry is when one reviewer mentioned seeing 5 black bears! Now I want to see bears on my trip to BC and Alaska but nor when I'm walking around on my own - thoughts?

Cheers

Pat

Thanks Kelly - I am only there for two days - fly in Thursday morning and back to Vancouver on Saturday morning.

Having re-looked at a few of the websites I think I will stick to my original plan and use the car to go to Elk Falls etc., everyone gives the park a great review. My only worry is when one reviewer mentioned seeing 5 black bears! Now I want to see bears on my trip to BC and Alaska but nor when I'm walking around on my own - thoughts?

Cheers

Pat

I wouldn't worry about bears, there's usually enough people around that they are long gone. You can always take a bear bell. When you drive to the interpretive centre be sure to go in and watch the video of the new dam. Back in the 50's my Uncle came from Scotland to work on this dam, this is what brought our family to Canada, my brother is now working on this new project. It's very interesting.