Restaurant recommendation close to Hampton Inn & Suites downtown

We will be staying one night pre-cruise. Looking for either a seafood or steak restaurant close by. If something is EXCELLENT and not within walking distance we can always take a taxi, but would like to stay in the downtown area.

There plenty of restaurants in Vancouver. It varies for Asian to American. You will find plenty of choice in the downtown area. Just ask the hotel for a recommendation for the type of cuisine you want.

Without knowing about your likes , preferences and budget it's hard to recommend some time hing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Easy and closest recommendations are options in the Yaletown district which are about a sub 10 minute walk west. Blue Water Cafe is a great seafood option with some steak options but getting on the higher end of the price scale. They also have sushi (more nigiri and sashimi vs maki). Rodney's Oyster House is a bit cheaper but mainly specializes in shellfish. The Keg Yaletown is a solid steakhouse chain serving a variety of basic/standard steakhouse offerings with AAA (Choice) grade beef IIRC. They have a nice rooftop seating area. Would recommend reservations for each.

The downtown core itself is very walkable IMO so if you don't mind a longer walk here are some other options about 15-20 minutes away on foot:

Black and Blue (steakhouse) and Coast (seafood) are sister restaurants on Alberni Street. Black and Blue is a pricier steakhouse serving prime grade and A5 wagyu beef with additional offerings like chateaubriand, wellington, etc. You can also get some items from Coast at B&B and vice versa. Coast also has some sushi offerings (both nigiri and maki). They have a hipper, more modern feel and you're paying for it though they do have cheaper options and combos. B&B also has a nice rooftop lounge offering similar menu items but somewhat more casual.

Hy's and Gotham are sister restaurants in a kind of old school/classic steakhouse atmosphere. They're also on the pricier end as they too serve prime beef. Gotham is a al carte while Hy's steaks come with sides.

Joe Forte's Seafood and Chop house is more of a seafood resto IMO with some AAA steak offerings. They run the odd promo and at lunch they have a limited number of very good value blue plate specials.

Yew at the Four Seasons is a modern seafood restaurant. While it's a bit pricey, they do run various specials and promos floating around.

A cheaper seafood option we've talked about in past threads is Fish Shack on Granville. It's the sister restaurant of Black and Blue and Coast. They have rotating specials like buck a shuck, etc.

I think Milhouse covered the main Seafood/Steak options very solidly for you.

All I'd add is a somewhat philosophical note - that good steakhouses are everywhere in North America with a reasonable population base, but good seafood away from the coasts gets very pricey and rare. Plus, despite our weak dollar I find that on the very rare occasions I buy a cooked steak instead of a raw one, my money goes further in the US than here. So I'd be inclined to look much more at getting good seafood than steaks while you're in Vancouver.

After Blue Water, I feel that the best-prepared fish dishes downtown are still at Hawksworth - which is certainly neither a steakhouse nor a seafood joint, but is arguably the single finest kitchen we have in the city and does everything extremely well. Check menu nearer your visit, but they'll always have a seasonal fish or two and something beefy (their roasts for 2 people are always a very tempting options for us).

If views would be a good thing for you too, then consider Five Sails inside the Pan Pacific. It's one of the nicest-looking dining rooms, very formal service by Vancouver standards, and some great views especially in the evenings, and offers a very nice Continental menu always including some local, seasonal fish and a steak or two - personally I feel their game dishes are the best offerings in case you wanted to branch out a little from beef to venison/caribou they'd treat you well.

We will be staying one night pre-cruise. Looking for either a seafood or steak restaurant close by. If something is EXCELLENT and not within walking distance we can always take a taxi, but would like to stay in the downtown area.

I also like Black and Blue or Coast (both are by the Global Group.... they have a number of other rests. in Vancouver as well) I do like Gotham as well, its got great steak and if you are into buildings here is a bit about it:..

Gotham is housed in one of Vancouver’s few remaining artdeco buildings. Built in 1933 and designed by architect Max Downing, it wasoriginally part of the Hudson’s Bay Company, just south on Seymour Street. Overthe many years since, it has been home to various retail and administrativeoperations, but has remained a protected heritage building. To prepare for therestaurant’s opening in 1999, intricate cast concrete detailing on the cornicewas faithfully restored, and today Gotham stands as a stunning reminder ofVancouver’s rich architectural history.

Gotham is housed in one of Vancouver’s few rem