Disembark cruise early in Melbourne, then fly to Sydney?

MayasWay

We are on a cruise whose last days include a day in Melbourne, a sea day, then disembarkation in Sydney. We are considering disembarking in Melbourne and staying the two days, then flying to Sydney to stay for a few days, rather than completing the cruise.

Is there a compelling reason, other than the increase in $'s, that we might want to sail from Melbourne to Sydney rather than fly?

Thanks in advance!

Cruising in to Sydney Harbour is beautiful, however most ships enter the harbour in the dark. You could take a ferry trip to Manly or Watson's Bay, to see the Harbour, whilst you are in Sydney.

I would take the couple of days in Melbourne.

Apparently the travel agent who told me it would likely be ok was misinformed ... this is not permitted on many cruise lines, except for emergency situations.

I appreciate all the supportive input on the issue!

Apparently the travel agent who told me it would likely be ok was misinformed ... this is not permitted on many cruise lines, except for emergency situations.

Sorry you were given incorrect advice.

Check directly with the cruise line. I looked into it for a Princess cruise in the British Isles (where we would get off the ship in one port, explore during a sea day, and rejoin this ship at another port). Princess calls this a "route sector change". If you're on Princess, you can call in, and ask for route sector change, and they will inform you within 3-5 days whether you are approved. If approved, I would certainly carry evidence of the change, and re-confirm with the staff on the ship once aboard.

That doesn't sound quite right. I'm sure I've seen posts by other cruisers saying they had been able to disembark early from a cruise. Which cruise line and where has the cruise come from before it gets to Melbourne?

I imagine Princess will have Immigration Officers onboard to process everyone during the sea days between NZ and the first Australian port. So far we've only cruised Celebrity between NZ and Australia and they always do that, but Princess had Australian immigration officials onboard when we came back from an Indonesian port stop on a Top End cruise so they'll pribably do the same for NZ.

I hope you manage to get the OK to leave the ship early. Melbourne is a lovely city to visit. We have family there so go there regularly.

OzKiwiJJ, you predicted it ... Princess has approved our request and we are looking forward to spending a few days in Melbourne before flying to Sydney! Thanks for the encouragement to pursue this option!

Sent from my iPad using Forums