On Board Credit

MaltaTravellers

We are first time cruisers with Celebrity. Allow me to clarify something please regarding on board credit. Is the given gratis (as a gift) by the cruiseline or is it charged to the credit card. As soon as I logged in to check in a pop box appreared saying you have $350 on board credit

Thanks for your assistance

Malta travellers :-)

We are first time cruisers with Celebrity. Allow me to clarify something please regarding on board credit. Is the given gratis (as a gift) by the cruiseline or is it charged to the credit card. As soon as I logged in to check in a pop box appreared saying you have $350 on board credit

OBC can be from the cruise line, your travel agent or bought. But that sounds like it was from Celebrity, so free (or perhaps more accurately included in the fare).

It is a credit to your on board account. If it's from Celebrity, it is most likely non refundable, so must be spent either for purchases in advance (e.g. internet package, speciality dining) or on board the ship.

Sometimes a TA will give obc and that may be refundable to your credit card if not used entirely on board.

That credit you see pop up is your on board credit only from Celebrity. It is a new procedure which allows you to use it prior to getting on board for an excursion, specialty dining, etc. On board credit you get from a Travel Agent will not show up until you actually get on board.

Under "add ons" in my cruise planner I am seeing "celebrations". Could this be the OBC from my travel agent or is it a celebration package?

Your TA or someone else could have ordered a "celebration" package for you but OBC from a TA doesn't show up on your reservation.

The gratuities are posted to your onboard account on a daily basis. The OBC is applied as a credit to your onboard account. Generally the OBC is not posted to your account until the second night of the cruise. If you have non-refundable (from Celebrity) it will be coded OBN or OBC-N and if you have refundable (generally from a TA or gift) it will be OBR or OBC-R. OBN is automatically used first. If you were to have OBR credit remaining at the end of the cruise it will be automatically refunded to the credit card on file.

That credit you see pop up is your on board credit only from Celebrity. It is a new procedure which allows you to use it prior to getting on board for an excursion, specialty dining, etc. On board credit you get from a Travel Agent will not show up until you actually get on board.

What about OBC from the Celebrity or RCI credit cards? Does that show up in advance or only once on board?

The so-called credit is not free,you've paid for it when you booked your cruise,it's to make you feel your getting something,you have to use it or lose it,how do you think all the shops,etc,etc, stay in business ? Reduce the fare by the same amount but people would not spend money on the ship, I think there is no more OBR ,I may be wrong on this ?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The so-called credit is not free,you've paid for it when you booked your cruise,it's to make you feel your getting something,you have to use it or lose it,how do you think all the shops,etc,etc, stay in business ? Reduce the fare by the same amount but people would not spend money on the ship, I think there is no more OBR ,I may be wrong on this ?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, there is still OBR.

bon voyage

• 1 month later...

Just returned from a Canada/Pacific coastal cruise (17-24 September) on the Infinity. Our OBC-R was credited back to our credit card on the 25th. First time (according to my wife it will be the last time) not using all of our OBC.

Edited by davekathy

Just curious, can onboard credit be used to pay the daily gratuities?

Yes. It can be used for pretty much anything except deposits on future cruises and cashing it out to gamble. If it's refundable OBC, any unused credit will be credited to you on file credit card. It also can be refunded in cash if you go to Guest Services the morning of disembarkation.

I have what might be a silly question.

If the $300 per cabin OBC (as part of the promo) can be used for gratuities, why would anyone on a week-long cruise (other than suite passengers) choose the pre-paid gratuities instead of the $300 per cabin OBC?

You are clearly getting a much better deal since after gratuities, there will be $111 left ($300 minus $189).

This is only our second Celebrity Cruise, and the first with anything other than just a free beverage package. It just didn't make sense to me, so I wanted to make sure there was no "catch" to the $300 OBC.

Thanks!

If the $300 per cabin OBC (as part of the promo) can be used for gratuities, why would anyone on a week-long cruise (other than suite passengers) choose the pre-paid gratuities instead of the $300 per cabin OBC?

You are clearly getting a much better deal since after gratuities, there will be $111 left ($300 minus $189).

This is only our second Celebrity Cruise, and the first with anything other than just a free beverage package. It just didn't make sense to me, so I wanted to make sure there was no "catch" to the $300 OBC.

Thanks!

In Jan will be our first time with Celebrity, we are doing a b2b. First 7 days then 12 days. On the 7 days I took the $300.00 obc on the 12 day the gratuity pkg. I think you need to do your math before hand and see which profits you more.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Thanks!

You're right about the $300 OBC on a weeklong cruise but on longer itineraries sometimes the gratuities work out better and occasionally the cruise line ups the daily gratuity amounts. We have changed from one to the other depending on which was greater. Additionally our TA sometimes offers beverage package, OBC as well as prepaid gratuities. Win Win!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app