what does availability "closed" mean?

iamheisenberg

If I had to guess (and I do, since I don't know for certain) I'd think they were rerouting these two itineraries for whatever reason. I know there have been problems in Acapulco, and to a lesser extent some of the other Mexican ports, so maybe Regent is looking at alternatives to these two sailings.

These cruises on Mariner currently showing "closed."

http://www.rssc.com/cruises/MAR180317/summary/default.aspx

http://www.rssc.com/cruises/MAR180402/summary/default.aspx

But nor the cruise before nor the cruise after.

Probably the land portion cost and hotels aren't available. Hotels are only open for booking 365 days ahead.

Sure looks to me that Regent is reviewing their decision to sail 19 panama canal trips over the next 18 months or so. Maybe they will add three more caribbean cruises (March 17th already shows map of caribbean cruise) in lieu of three back to back panama canal runs in a row.

Marc

That is odd, we're booked on the April 18th cruise right after the April 2nd that states closed.

Wonder whats going on......and what it's means. Think Regent if reading this should say something. I'll be calling my TA.

Your trip is fine; that is the repositioning to Alaska.

Marc

While I do not know the answer, I am confident that this has nothing to do with excursions, "land portion costs" or hotels. We are booked on a March 2018 itinerary and the pre and post-cruise itineraries are available as well as the proposed hotels.

I suspect that they may be doing some changes in 2018. As many know, Regent passengers nag them for itineraries (I do as well). Now there are requests for the second half of 2018 and even for 2019 itineraries. Making decisions this far out, given what is happening in the world, means to me that these decisions are not set in stone. Unfortunately, this seems like a no-win situation for Regent. When they cancel ports or change itineraries they are taken to task and if they wait too long to put out itineraries, they are also criticized.

IMO, it is best to either call Regent (or your TA) and hear what they have to say. Rumor has it that new itineraries will be out "within two months". This may (or may not) solve the problem.

This is not a definitive answer, but the probable cause is that there is no room at the dock in the City of Angels. And so the cruise is "closed" until they resolve this issue.

Apparently this also happened on a 2017 cruise - maybe on Navigator - and it was resolved by changing the debarkation/embarkation port to San Diego.

Maybe San Francisco would work as well, but then they would have to sacrifice another port to cover the extra travel distance. (Maybe even Ensenada in a pinch?)

Thank you for all your responses.

These cruises on Mariner currently showing "closed."

http://www.rssc.com/cruises/MAR180317/summary/default.aspx

http://www.rssc.com/cruises/MAR180402/summary/default.aspx

But nor the cruise before nor the cruise after.

Maybe a private charter? They do that from time to time...