"Project Breakaway"

eroller

NCL has codenamed it's two new builds "Project Breakaway". More details are expected to be released during a webcast hosted by Andy Stewart on June 21st.

Looking forward to it!

Ernie

NCL has codenamed it's two new builds "Project Breakaway". More details are expected to be released during a webcast hosted by Andy Stewart on June 21st.

Looking forward to it!

Ernie

Great information...

Also see:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1408527

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1422745

and

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1428431

Makes me wonder what they're breaking away from?? Hopefully it's from other cruise lines and not their now slightly older ships (ie. Dawn and Jewel class).. oh the speculation just kills me!! :o:eek::D

Details are going to be great... I'm sure it'll come here when they are posted. I can't ever catch those webcasts. Maybe they'll be announcing a date for the first steel cutting or the date of keel lay? :D

Oh... maybe they'll have a competition to fly a NCL fan out to the keel laying like James got to go to a few years back for the Epic! :)

Makes me wonder what they're breaking away from?? Hopefully it's from other cruise lines and not their now slightly older ships (ie. Dawn and Jewel class).. oh the speculation just kills me!! :o:eek::D

they could be creating freestyle v3

No doubt Project Breakaway is going to have some exciting new amenities and features. I have a feeling June 21st will be just a teaser, but I'm looking forward to it none the less. Andy Stewart is always so entertaining and is one of my favorite cruise line executives.

While Project Breakaway is no doubt going to be innovative, I think we are going to see a return to some traditional aspects of the Star and Jewel Class ships. I would be surprised to see a repeat of EPIC's split bathrooms, and I also think we will see a much larger show lounge on Project Breakaway. I'm thinking we will also see the return of a secondary multi-purpose lounge (think Spinnakers) which EPIC is lacking. Lastly I would not be surprised to see an expansion of the affiliation with Nickelodeon (more emphasis on children's areas), but also an expansion of the adult's only pool areas.

Remember that the new executives of NCL appointed by Apollo tried unsuccessfully to change many aspect of EPIC. They were able to push through some changes at great expense (such as the small show lounge) but others were just not possible. This is why a second EPIC was never built, and likely why Project Breakaway will feature the more successful Star and Jewel Class concepts and also the best of what EPIC has featured (such as the expanded courtyard area).

I think Project Breakaway stands for the next evolution of Freestyle ...meaning 'breaking away' from the traditional cruise experience. This will have to mean more than just multiple dining and entertainment venues as this is no longer unique to just NCL.

Ernie

No doubt Project Breakaway is going to have some exciting new amenities and features. I have a feeling June 21st will be just a teaser, but I'm looking forward to it none the less. Andy Stewart is always so entertaining and is one of my favorite cruise line executives.

While Project Breakaway is no doubt going to be innovative, I think we are going to see a return to some traditional aspects of the Star and Jewel Class ships. I would be surprised to see a repeat of EPIC's split bathrooms, and I also think we will see a much larger show lounge on Project Breakaway. I'm thinking we will also see the return of a secondary multi-purpose lounge (think Spinnakers) which EPIC is lacking. Lastly I would not be surprised to see an expansion of the affiliation with Nickelodeon (more emphasis on children's areas), but also an expansion of the adult's only pool areas.

Remember that the new executives of NCL appointed by Apollo tried unsuccessfully to change many aspect of EPIC. They were able to push through some changes at great expense (such as the small show lounge) but others were just not possible. This is why a second EPIC was never built, and likely why Project Breakaway will feature the more successful Star and Jewel Class concepts and also the best of what EPIC has featured (such as the expanded courtyard area).

I think Project Breakaway stands for the next evolution of Freestyle ...meaning 'breaking away' from the traditional cruise experience. This will have to mean more than just multiple dining and entertainment venues as this is no longer unique to just NCL.

Ernie

Those are some interesting predictions. It will be interesting to see how it will work out.

We already know that the new ships will have almost the same passenger capacity as the Epic, but the ships will be smaller.

So the question is...what will they take out so they can fit the same number of passengers in less space?

You predict that there will be a return to the "traditional" bathroom set up. Those bathrooms would require more space in the cabins...so you either have to make the cabin larger or make the sleeping compartment smaller in order to have the same passenger count...wonder which they will choose??

Also...a larger main lounge AND a multi purpose lounge? It will be interesting to see where they will come up with the space for those venues.

Smaller overall ship size combined with the same passenger count would seem to indicate that things will be removed rather than added....no other way to keep the same people in less space.

Those are some interesting predictions. It will be interesting to see how it will work out.

All speculation at this point, but it is fun to speculate isn't it? LOL

Project Breakaway appears to be very similar in size and capacity to the new Royal Princess Class. It will be interesting to compare the two as no doubt they will be competing head to head.

Royal Caribbean also has Project Sunshine in the works, which will be slightly larger than NCL's Project Breakaway. Both the NCL and Royal Caribbean newbuilds are being built at Meyer Werft in Germany, so we know the dimensions of the ships will have limitations due to the required river passage to get to the open ocean. Princess is building it's newbuilds at Fincantieri in Italy, so no size limitations but none the less the size is almost the same as Project Breakaway.

The trend we are seeing is more passengers in the same (or lower) gross tonnage. Space ratios will be lower as mass-market cruise lines attempt to maximize revenue to an even greater extent. It will be interesting to see how each of the three major brands accomplishes this with their exciting new designs. One thing that remains constant as the ships get bigger is the amount of deck space up top. You can pile on decks but it doesn't change the amount of open deck space. For me this is an issue as these decks are already relatively crowded. Carnival came up with a large open promenade on the sides of the Dream Class to help alleviate this problem, but I don't see the same concept on either ROYAL PRINCESS. There might be something similar on Project Breakaway based on the rendering (which is rather crude at this point).

Ernie

Ernie

I too am looking forward to what NCL is going to say about the 2 new ships. Speculation is good and provides for entertaining conversion on this CC thread.

Although I haven't been on the Epic, I'm really hoping that they don't repeat the same design. Just my opinion but I don't think it is the most attractive design. I also think they they will be expanding on the "kid's" entertainment concept. Freestyle is great for families ..... more relaxing and less structured routine.

Since Meyer Werft is building these ships, I thought I would check out there site to see if there were any clues. (not much here ... maybe someone else and read more between the lines) http://www.meyerwerft.de/page.asp?lang=e&main=3&subs=0&did=1816

OceanDreams

"The Company took Freestyle Cruising to the next level with the introduction of Norwegian Epic in June 2010. The 4,100 passenger vessel has been called the “entertainment ship” with a variety of shows and venues that trump land-based resorts like those found in Las Vegas. Headliners include Blue Man Group, Cirque Dreams™ & Dinner, Legends in Concert, The Second City® Comedy Troupe, Howl at the Moon Dueling Pianos and Slam Allen Blues Band. In addition, the ship features Nickelodeon™ at Sea as part of its wide-range of family offerings. Further innovations include the largest spa at sea, the first true ice bar at sea and The Studios, which are staterooms designed and priced for solo travelers, along with The Villas, the largest suite complex at sea."

“We are bringing this spirit of innovation to these two new build ships, as Norwegian continues to offer our guests new and exciting ways to enjoy their Freestyle Cruising vacation,” said Sheehan."

Yea, I like the sounds of this. If they have fabulous entertainment like on the Epic, it will be a sure hit! :)

I thought NCL already indicated they would not be repeating the wavy cabin or the bathroom structure of Epic?

eroller or anybody else - do you have a link to Andy Stuart's presentation next week? Thanks in advance!

Sorry, don't have a link or details about the webcast yet. I just know it will be June 21st hosted by Andy Stewart. I'm sure as we get closer NCL will post the details.

To my knowledge, there has been no formal announcements regarding cabins, bathrooms, or anything else regarding Project Breakaway. Anything you read besides the initial press release (which had very few details) is just speculation. NCL has stated the new ships will have a "rich cabin mix" including singles.

Ernie

Sorry, don't have a link or details about the webcast yet. I just know it will be June 21st hosted by Andy Stewart. I'm sure as we get closer NCL will post the details.

To my knowledge, there has been no formal announcements regarding cabins, bathrooms, or anything else regarding Project Breakaway. Anything you read besides the initial press release (which had very few details) is just speculation. NCL has stated the new ships will have a "rich cabin mix" including singles.

Ernie

The presentation is scheduled for 2pm but I believe it for only people in the travel industry and certain media.

The trend we are seeing is more passengers in the same (or lower) gross tonnage. Space ratios will be lower as mass-market cruise lines attempt to maximize revenue to an even greater extent. It will be interesting to see how each of the three major brands accomplishes this with their exciting new designs. One thing that remains constant as the ships get bigger is the amount of deck space up top. You can pile on decks but it doesn't change the amount of open deck space. For me this is an issue as these decks are already relatively crowded. Carnival came up with a large open promenade on the sides of the Dream Class to help alleviate this problem, but I don't see the same concept on either ROYAL PRINCESS. There might be something similar on Project Breakaway based on the rendering (which is rather crude at this point).

Ernie

I agree with what you are saying, but I just wonder do the cruise lines think we are supposed to be happy about this? Like you said deck space will be a real issue. One of the reasons the Jewel and Spirit class vessels work so well is their overall size and passenger to space ratio.

Personally, I'm not going to get my hopes up for any of the future ships just yet. I'll wait till they're further along to give either a thumbs up or down on any of them. I had high hopes for the Epic when it was first announced, but the final product didn't live up to them IMO....just too many strange design choices for that ship.

I agree with what you are saying, but I just wonder do the cruise lines think we are supposed to be happy about this? Like you said deck space will be a real issue. One of the reasons the Jewel and Spirit class vessels work so well is their overall size and passenger to space ratio.

Personally, I'm not going to get my hopes up for any of the future ships just yet. I'll wait till they're further along to give either a thumbs up or down on any of them. I had high hopes for the Epic when it was first announced, but the final product didn't live up to them IMO....just too many strange design choices for that ship.

Jersye Boy - I am with you! Not getting my hopes up. The EPIC aparently is an EPIC FLOP.... based on the fact there were no sister ships. Look at all the other MAJOR lines and they have created a standard ship to bilild and rebuild. - Must be more cost effective???

Smaller overall ship size combined with the same passenger count would seem to indicate that things will be removed rather than added....no other way to keep the same people in less space.

Very true!

Having just returned from Epic there is almost too much entertainment and too many dining options! You cannot actually eat in every dining option on a seven night cruise given the fact that most are shut for lunch in port and many do not offer breakfast.

You cannot see all of the entertainment as some clashes. Whatever you are watching you are probably missing something else!

A few less options would not be a disaster.

As for 'split' bathrooms and Project breakout: CEO Kevin Sheehan did an interview in November 2010:

Q: Will they have the Wave cabins with the bathroom components separated like on the Epic?A: We have some learnings from the Epic. It is a fantastic ship, but we have some learnings and will build on that knowledge. … That falls into the learnings category.

Whatever they decide, I hope to be stalking it soon and booking a room! :D

Ha ha... I knew that'd be in this thread some where! I spend a few days away being busy with life and discover you already stalking a ship that doesn't even have it's keel laid yet! :eek::D

For those who said the bathrooms will probably return back to a compartment like they are now on cruise ships, you're probably right. The concept of a split bathroom works out great in a studio cabin but not so much in a regular cabin. I saw the regular cabins when I did the studio in March. I don't think I'd share the cabin with my mother... frosted glass be darned! :(

The entertainment options should be in line with the Epic though with multiple venues offering entertainment. A slightly larger theater may be in order but not ones the size of the Jewel class ship where the entire ship can be accomodated over two seatings. That just doesn't make sense if you're going to have more entertainment options around the ship (and of good quality). Whether or not Cirque makes a dinner experience on these two new builds is something else to be speculating about. I don't think NCL is going to dedicate their ships for more of this type of thing. While the overall reviews of it have been good - performance wise. The food seems to be hit or miss so maybe cooking for the masses like that all at once isn't going to work quite so well and they'll shy away from it?

The return of a Spinnakers is unlikely since NCL has already determined on the Dawn and the Star that it's a waste of a space. The Bliss Lounge is hipper and I'm sure will make a return as a secondary evening entertainment option. I forsee Spice H2O coming back topside with a bigger and better feel too, possibly even more expanded as it proved popular on my sailing and was always filled to capacity.

Maybe this time with POSH, it could actually be an IBIZA style club topside with the evening hours being a real club and ditch Spice if topside space is at a premium....

SO MUCH TO SPECULATE about!!! :D NCL will soon hopefully give us something to further speculate on!

The return of a Spinnakers is unlikely since NCL has already determined on the Dawn and the Star that it's a waste of a space. The Bliss Lounge is hipper and I'm sure will make a return as a secondary evening entertainment option.

Waste of space? Actually just the opposite. On STAR and DAWN Spinnakers was moved to where the shops used to be and the shops moved to where the nightclub used to be. If anything they determined the nightclub was a waste of space. STAR and DAWN have no dedicated nightclub or a Bliss Lounge. They could have made the aft space into a Bliss Lounge like on the newer Jewel Class ships, but they realized that Bliss is simply not versatile enough to qualify as a secondary lounge.

Personally I think we will see a much larger show lounge on Project Breakaway that is far more versatile as well as a Spinnakers (or similar secondary lounge). The current showlounge on EPIC is fairly useless for anything but Blue Man Group, and it lacks versatility. Also because it's so small it means more performances must be scheduled which can be challenging for performers. Not a big deal for Blue Man Group but once that contract expires there could be challenges finding a suitable replacement for the venue.

Ernie

ps - I would be willing to bet Cirque is history. Overall it has not been that well received. Again it creates a challenge on EPIC because it's a dedicated space and NCL will have to figure out what to put there next.

Archived