Renting a car?

mamato5girls

we have 7 people, 8 bags and a stroller going the last week of October on the Jewel of The Seas out of San Juan. We did some research and it would cost us about 385 dollars for all the transportation we would need from airport to hotel, from hotel to pier, from pier to hotel and then from hotel to airport using a shuttle service. We looked into renting a car and it's definitely much cheaper. My question is, did anyone do this and how was your experience?

My hubby plans to rent car, drive us to hotel, sleep overnight then drop us all off at pier and then go drop car off and grab a taxi for just himself. Doing the same thing again after arriving. Back from the cruise, grabbing a cab to get the rental and then coming back to pick us up from pier to take us to the hotel. Total cost would be under 100 dollars instead of 385 dollars.

Edited by mamato5girls

Most of the taxi's in SJU are vans. If you honestly think you can get 7 people and 8 bags in a mini van, that's what the taxi's are. Some are even full size vans.

We've been to SJU many times, I have no interest in renting a car or driving there to save a little money.

Coming back to pick you up at the pier after the cruise, there will be LOTS of taxi's and traffic for him to deal with. Sounds too complicated to me, but if you're willing to go through all that to save a few bucks go for it.

Edited by bouhunter

Have you ever BEEN to San Juan? If you have then you know what you would be dealing with regarding traffic and crazy roads going every which way. If not, it might turn out to be false savings when you get lost or into a fenderbender. DH and I were there in January and we had considered renting a car, since we had a couple of days pre-cruise to look around, but I got talked out of it. I'm SO glad we did not rent a car, and I'm not the kind of person who has a problem with jumping into a car and driving around new places (we did that in Saint Maarten and had a blast). But San Juan was too much for me.

If your husband is comfortable driving in that kind of traffic on unfamiliar roads (with some bizarre traffic patterns) then it might be OK. I would double-check the cost of the taxis first, though. If you can all fit into a minivan then you could fit into a taxi - and you might be able to talk them down on the price since you'd be giving them a full load.

Just my $0.02......

We rented a car there a few years ago when we stayed on the island for a week. We drove into San Juan for a day and survived with no accidents. It wasn't that bad though there certainly is some creative driving going on. We had an ongoing joke about people making left hand turns from the right hand lane, just because it seemed to happen so much.

Where are you staying at? Depending on the location of the hotel, you might be better of using taxis. There are LOTS of passenger van that accommodate up to 7 people and around 15 pieces of luggage. I work in the hotel industry in PR and I see this all the time. Prices are fixed by zone and they add $2 after the 5th passenger, a $2 fuel charge ans $1 per piece of luggage that does not go in your lap. So the most expensive fare (airport to pier) should run you about $29 for the lot of you.

Edited by Stinger-pr

Stinger,

We are staying at the Casa Blanca hotel which is in Old San Juan. Since you work in PR, perhaps you could tell us what zone we're in and how much a taxi would cost us? :D We thought we had to pay 20 dollars per person for a taxi?

This changes how we might proceed. :o

Sure appreciate all the advice we've gotten on here!

We thought we had to pay 20 dollars per person for a taxi?

NO!! :rolleyes::eek: But I have no idea where you came up with 385.00. You listed four trips, 7 people. 4X7X20.00=560.00........

See Stingers post, he pretty much already laid it out for you. Old San Juan is probably about 25.00 plus the luggage etc as listed above.

Edited by bouhunter

NO!! :rolleyes::eek: But I have no idea where you came up with 385.00. You listed four trips, 7 people. 4X7X20.00=560.00........

See Stingers post, he pretty much already laid it out for you. Old San Juan is probably about 25.00 plus the luggage etc as listed above.

Actually, the shuttle service that we found says 5 and under free so we would pay for 5 instead of 7 but that's besides the point. SO GLAD taxi's are much cheaper than the shuttle service!

Will talk to hubby tonight and explain what I found out. I think he just wants an excuse to drive in another country. :rolleyes:

we have 7 people, 8 bags and a stroller going the last week of October on the Jewel of The Seas out of San Juan. We did some research and it would cost us about 385 dollars for all the transportation we would need from airport to hotel, from hotel to pier, from pier to hotel and then from hotel to airport using a shuttle service. We looked into renting a car and it's definitely much cheaper. My question is, did anyone do this and how was your experience?

My hubby plans to rent car, drive us to hotel, sleep overnight then drop us all off at pier and then go drop car off and grab a taxi for just himself. Doing the same thing again after arriving. Back from the cruise, grabbing a cab to get the rental and then coming back to pick us up from pier to take us to the hotel. Total cost would be under 100 dollars instead of 385 dollars.

We did this the last time we were there and it worked great.... we used the Enterprise in Condado (right next to the Condado Plaza hotel) and they picked me up at our hotel took me to their office where I Rented the van, then when we left they dropped me off at the pier after I returned the car. They said if we called them when we got off the ship they would come back to the pier to pick me up again etc. Very nice people there. :eek::D

Stinger,

We are staying at the Casa Blanca hotel which is in Old San Juan. Since you work in PR, perhaps you could tell us what zone we're in and how much a taxi would cost us? :D We thought we had to pay 20 dollars per person for a taxi?

This changes how we might proceed. :o

Sure appreciate all the advice we've gotten on here!

If you're staying at the Casa Blanca, you really don't need transportation to the pier. We stayed there when we sailed out of San Juan a couple years ago and we walked down to the pier. Its a little over 3 blocks and downhill so its an easy walk. The hardest part was crossing the cobblestone street. The ability to walk to the pier is the reason that we choose Casa Blanca (my wife absolutely LOVED that hotel). Now if your luggage doesn't have wheels, then you may want to get a cab. My wife overpacked so I was carrying a ton of luggage and it was still an easy walk.

Let me see if I can help you (and others) out a bit. Tourist zone taxis in PR are very well regulated and have fixed rates by zones. There are a total of 5 zones starting at the SJU airport (zone 1), Isla Verde (zone 2), Condado and Miramar area (zone 3), Old San Juan(zone 4) and Convention center, Pan Am pier (where you're sailing from)(zone 5).

Taxis are $19 from/to the most distant zones (1 and 5) for up to 5 people with a max off 7 passengers (6th and 7th passenger pay just $2 each on top of the $20). You need to add $2 fuel charge per trip and $1 for each piece of luggage. Anything you "carry-on" will not be charged.

In your specific case the above applies to your trip from the airport to the hotel. To get from the hotel to the Pan Am pier (zone 4 to zone 5) it should be $9 (total) for up to 5 passengers PLUS $2 each for the 6th and 7th pass. PLUS $2 fuel charge and $1 for each bag.

Let me know if I lost you....:D

Let me see if I can help you (and others) out a bit. Tourist zone taxis in PR are very well regulated and have fixed rates by zones. There are a total of 5 zones starting at the SJU airport (zone 1), Isla Verde (zone 2), Condado and Miramar area (zone 3), Old San Juan(zone 4) and Convention center, Pan Am pier (where you're sailing from)(zone 5).

Taxis are $19 from/to the most distant zones (1 and 5) for up to 5 people with a max off 7 passengers (6th and 7th passenger pay just $2 each on top of the $20). You need to add $2 fuel charge per trip and $1 for each piece of luggage. Anything you "carry-on" will not be charged.

In your specific case the above applies to your trip from the airport to the hotel. To get from the hotel to the Pan Am pier (zone 4 to zone 5) it should be $9 (total) for up to 5 passengers PLUS $2 each for the 6th and 7th pass. PLUS $2 fuel charge and $1 for each bag.

Let me know if I lost you....:D

Stinger-pr... As always great info. Are you planning to do some kind of a review when you get back from the Valor cruise? I would love to hear/read your version of it where you live there etc.

Renting makes no sense for what you are planning on doing. SJU taxis are reasonably priced and well controlled.

At the airport you see the dispatcher, you tell him where you want to go, how many people, and how many bags (suitcases only not things that will go on your lap). He will give you the price on a piece of paper so there is no discussion or negotiating with the driver. If you need a full size van -he signals and that's what shows up for you. Taxis are lined up so it is fast and easy.

At your hotel you will do the same.

At the port again there is a dispatcher and it is all very structured and organized.

The 3 trips will be cheaper and way less trouble than getting a van.

Oh, and we have rented in SJU on numerous land holidays and the driving takes a bit of getting used to but is fine if you can handle and of North America's big cities. Still can not recommend renting for your needs.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a copy of the last taxi chart I have. Atleast it will give you an idea.

SJPR Taxi Rates.pdf

Here is a copy of the last taxi chart I have. Atleast it will give you an idea.

Thanks so much for that rate sheet! :D I am going to rent a car before the cruise, but I am wondering if I should pick up and return at the airport, then catch a taxi to the port? Or should I rent at the airport and return to a location closer to port?

We are a family of 7, so I would drop off the rest at the port and return the car by myself.

Thanks so much for that rate sheet! :D I am going to rent a car before the cruise, but I am wondering if I should pick up and return at the airport, then catch a taxi to the port? Or should I rent at the airport and return to a location closer to port?

We are a family of 7, so I would drop off the rest at the port and return the car by myself.

my wife and I have rented from Charlie's Car Rental (idea completely from the boards in this forum) in the past (and plan on doing so again next May with three other friends). The reason that we rented a car was because we stayed in Ceiba and visited Fajardo pre-cruise. We picked up the car at the airport site (actually a shuttle that they provide). then prior to boarding the cruise we dropped off the car at their cruise terminal site (they shuttled us to the Pan American terminal at no charge - we just gave a tip to the driver)

my wife and I have rented from Charlie's Car Rental (idea completely from the boards in this forum) in the past (and plan on doing so again next May with three other friends). The reason that we rented a car was because we stayed in Ceiba and visited Fajardo pre-cruise. We picked up the car at the airport site (actually a shuttle that they provide). then prior to boarding the cruise we dropped off the car at their cruise terminal site (they shuttled us to the Pan American terminal at no charge - we just gave a tip to the driver)

I checked with them and it seems like they are going to be a good option because the rate I get with them is much better than all the other companiies I have checked.

Their shuttle to the port runs until 4pm (like Enterprise) but the rate beats Enterprise. This would save me the hassle of having to drop everyone off at the port,dropping off the car, then taking a cab back to the port (saves me about $20 in cabs and about $25 on the rate!)