La Bombonera is back

jcool

Just for anyone else that might need addresses I decided to put them here.

I found an old article about La Bomborera which listed the address. Even tripadvisor doesn't have it anymore. Probably because it has been closed now for a while. I am assuming they are still in same building.

Anyway!! La Bomborera is 259 San Francisco and Cafe Mallorca is 300 San Francisco!! That should make it very easy.

I will be back in Oct!!

~Dawn

Just for anyone else that might need addresses I decided to put them here.

I found an old article about La Bomborera which listed the address. Even tripadvisor doesn't have it anymore. Probably because it has been closed now for a while. I am assuming they are still in same building.

Anyway!! La Bomborera is 259 San Francisco and Cafe Mallorca is 300 San Francisco!! That should make it very easy.

I will be back in Oct!!

~Dawn

Looking forward to hearing from you as we will be there in November and I hope to be able to get a Mallorca for breakfast :D

We will be in SJ Oct 2!!! Our original plan was to have breakfast at La Bombonera, then we found out it was closed. :(

We decided to have breakfast at Cafe Mallorca.

Then I read it may be reopening!!:eek:

Does anyone know if these 2 are close together? I would love to see if it was opened yet, then make our decision as to which to eat at. It would give me a chance to check on the status and report back here when I return.

They are right down the street from one another.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 3 weeks later...

Sitting in the airport, flight delayed, and thought I would quickly post.

We did go to Cafe Mallorca and it was fabulous!! I had the ham n cheese Mallorca and coffee with milk. My friend had the Mallorca with butter n coffee with milk. Oh my it was so yummy!! I will have pictures later.

We did walk down the street and found La Bombonera. Still all boarded up. No one was working on it but it defiantly was under construction. Not open.

Sitting in the airport, flight delayed, and thought I would quickly post.

We did go to Cafe Mallorca and it was fabulous!! I had the ham n cheese Mallorca and coffee with milk. My friend had the Mallorca with butter n coffee with milk. Oh my it was so yummy!! I will have pictures later.

We did walk down the street and found La Bombonera. Still all boarded up. No one was working on it but it defiantly was under construction. Not open.

Thanks for the info! We will be there in December and are really hoping it is open by then. But...it is nice to know there is another great option if it isn't :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was in San Juan (stayed at the Sheraton) 2 nights pre-cruise (11/14 and 15). Yes, La Bombonera is still closed.

I went to Cafeteria Mallorca instead. I wasn't sure what I'd think of a ham and cheese sandwich covered with powdered sugar, but it was very good. And the coffee was very strong. I loved it!

If the mofongo hadn't disagreed with me so badly that night (apparently plantains don't like me nearly as much as I like them - this has happened every time I've eaten them), I would've gone back the next morning.

My pics are almost identical to what xrayvin posted.

• 5 months later...

That's too bad. I'd told my cruise buddy about it when DD and I were there on our first visit to the old city. She was hoping to see it in November. I guess we'll just go to Cafeteria Mallorca. I did quite like it there.

• 3 months later...

hello,

I was in Puerto Rico this February and my brother told me that not to hold my breath, Bombonera will not be opening. He keeps up to date on the happenings in PR and from what he has read it has to do with financial situation. I hope he is wrong but I doubt it. They should have reopened by now.

I didn't go real early and didn't look for a sign with the hours. But, since it's a breakfast/pastry shop, I'd guess they open fairly early. Has anyone/everyone checked TripAdvisor for hours?

I looked it up on my phone's map and just set out from the Sheraton. I just wandered in the general direction and came across it eventually.

Nothing in Old San Juan is that far from anything else, really. Lots of online maps available to download and/or print before you leave.

I'll be back in less than two months. Can't wait!!

• 2 weeks later...

I do not know the hours, but when we got into port (7am) we got off the ship and walked directly there. There were already several people eating when we arrived.

I did find information on Tripadvisor and it says 9am!! I am pretty sure we were there prior to that, but it was a year ago.

Here is the link

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g147320-d1234687-Reviews-Cafeteria_Mallorca-San_Juan_Puerto_Rico.html

Edited by xrayvin

I do not know the hours, but when we got into port (7am) we got off the ship and walked directly there. There were already several people eating when we arrived.

I did find information on Tripadvisor and it says 9am!! I am pretty sure we were there prior to that, but it was a year ago.

Here is the link

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g147320-d1234687-Reviews-Cafeteria_Mallorca-San_Juan_Puerto_Rico.html

I would definately think a breakfast place would open before 9am. I am in early afternoon the day before and will be exploring. Maybe I'll walk by and see if they are open or have a sign on the door.

Thanks for the link.

I'm trying to figure out how we'll fit it all in...

Arrive at SJU on Friday at 11:30 and head to La Concha, hang out by the pool or on the beach, find somewhere to get local food for dinner in the Condado area, check out their Halloween party on Friday night, get up Saturday and find a local breakfast, check out of the hotel and check in at the port, drop bags in cabin, grab a light lunch on board, head out for sightseeing, find time to eat at both Cafe Mallorca and the Parrot Club, pick up more wine, go back to the ship, go back out and visit Punto de Vista (2-for-1 mojitos) and get back to the ship for dinner in the steakhouse at 6:30.

Whew! And that's all before we set sail! I can't wait! :D

Just discovered that Punto de Vista has moved from the waterfront across from the pier to the top of the Hotel Milano. Must make sure my map is updated!

Edited by NCTribeFan

I was just there and if you turn right when exiting the Sheraton Old San Juan, there are stairs that will take you up to a plaza, then I think we turned left, then right (up the hill) for a few blocks, then turn right and it is right there. Just ask at the front desk and they will tell you. I think it took 10-15 minutes (both of us have mobility issues). Do be sure to watch out for the few big holes in the sidewalk where the covers came off the openings!

I didn't remember to check out the hours, sorry. We went at 9:30a.

The mallorcas were not as good as La Bombonera's were, though.