costa maya beach break

lisah1465

We will be in Costa Maya in March 2005. I booked the costa maya beach break shore excursion through CostaMayaCruiseExcursions.com. They also provide a lunch for an additional cost. I have heard so many stories of how you should not eat the food in Mexico. Is this true?

Thanks

Lisa

We had a GREAT TIME there. The beach there has a lot of "growth" on the floor of the water in front of it, but once you pass that you will be fine. The drinks were great, and service was awesome. As soon as we arrived they grabbed to two loungers and set them whereever we wanted, and brought us out a welcome Pina Colada!

My gf ordered Lobster Tacos while we were there, and they were delicious!!! As with any place you visit, you should be careful with the food. I will say that you should be safe there. Most of the Touristy places use purified water and ice to keep that part safe. I would be careful of vegetables and fruit, but i wouldnt say im an expert on it. We got the lobster tacos with guacamole and chips, very good and we didnt get sick at all. We also ate a restaurant in cozumel and had no problems. Be leery of roadside taco stands and such, but you should be ok! Places that tourists frequent like to use safe things, they would hate to lose business because someone got sick and told everyone, especially a public forum like this!!!

There are a lot of vendors trying to sell you stuff though! Just say No, gracias, and they will leave you alone no problem. Nothing like Jamaica!!

Unless you have a special diet disorder you can eat the food here. They are very careful how they prepare their food. If they served bad food the word would get out and even the local people would not eat there. I have been here 4 years and eaten from taco stands to the the restaurants and not once have I suffered any il efects. The people here understand the meaning of clean and hygienic food. They all use a special disinfectant to clean all vegetables and the meat and fish is normally fresh.

We just got off the Splendour last Saturday, we ate lunch on the beach in both Mahahaul (Costa Maya) and in Cozumel. Wonderful! Didn't bother us. WE did not drink the water, but ordered either pop or bottled water. The food was cery reasonal also. Both beaches were gorgeous. We rented a golf cart at the pier to go up to Mahahual. It was sooooo much fun! The people are so friendly.

Wonderful information from all of you. I have been leary about eating as well and am grateful to hear no worries are needed.

My cruise leaves next Sat. Patty, since you just got back, any specific recommendations on what to eat, or what to take? We are planning Paradise Beach in Cozumel and Mahahual in Costa Maya.

Denise..I definitly recommend the nachos with salsa and beans, etc, along with the chicken taco's at Oxtankha's mexican restaurant. About mid-way in the small town of Mahahual. We even got serended while we ate. Beautiful people. And the shopping was great. Bicker with them. the beach in Mahahual is more beautiful the PB, but, PB in Coz is made for people.

Thanks Patty, chicken tacos it is! And I'm definitely hitting the beach now at Mahahual.

Fabio y carola, we will also stop by your place. Please hold onto a table with an umbrella for us. Our ship gets in around noon on February 2, so we'll be there shortly thereafter.

Any other helpful hints by anyone are always appreciated. Thanks!!

Denise

Archived