Autism bad behaviours- should I cancel?

Esilef

Working in the field with individuals with disabilities, I have seen great things come from using essential oils with those with Autism. When you see an issue coming along they have essential oils that you could put on a designated spot on his body (right now I have one that uses it on his feet) and it calms him within a minute or so and prevents the outburst or melt down......

if you know someone that sells essential oils or if you have a holistic type store in your area, check it out!

I have a 7 yo daughter with high functioning autism (aka aspergers) and a 5 year old with severe ADHD (might actually be aspergers, but she is so hyperactive it's very hard to test her, she may get an autism level 1 diagnosis just because the effects of the adhd make it such that she can't function in a "usual" capacity of a 5 year old, nor anything even approaching it).

We went on a cruise last year and it was mostly fine. My older daughter went to the kids club with little issue as long as participation was not forced. The 5 year old did fairly horribly in the kids club.

Since january we have been trying medications with our 5 year old. They have all helped to reduce her hyperactivity to an acceptable level, however that was the only benefit in a sea of bad effects from the drugs. One of the ones that we tryed was vyvanse. It was the best of the lot, however she still suffered side effects of blind rage and social withdrawl. These may not even have been true side effects, but rather traits that were uncovered by the reduced hyperactivity. It's really impossible to know. We are going on a cruise in 4 weeks and there is absolutely no way we could in all good conscience bring her onboard while on that medication. The first time she had a fit they would stick us in a lifeboat and set us adrift. HEr meltdowns on that medicine are worse than I've seen out of either of my children ever and last for hours. It's that bad. As a result we have taken her off of meds for now until after the trip. We are just resigned to basically having to write our cabin number on her in sharpie and make her wear a life vest all the time (impulsivity is a b****, she will really just jump in the pool if she sees it and we aren't quick enough to stop her), and possibly also a leash. I want to get a proximity alarm for her (way preferable to a leash), however I cant find a good one that will work with my model of cell phone.

• 4 months later...

You might want to look into the cruise line's special needs assistance. NCL and RCI have a special number to call, so I would think other lines may as well. You might get priority boarding or a private muster drill or other things that could help you AMD your son have a more comfortable trip.

You know what is best for your son!

• 3 months later...

Just curious - how did your cruise go? My son (almost 6) will be going on his first Disney cruise in April of next year but we're dealing with issues that are tantrums/outbursts/etc....and docs are saying ADHD. We just tried Intuniv and it didn't help him. So right now he's off meds and we're just hoping that OT and working with him will help. He's not bad in strange situations....but when he's under stress he flips out!

Besides a lot of work at home we have found taking her to Disneyland has been the best therapy. The colors, the motions, the people, the smell and sounds. Everything helps.

At 8 YO she is not outwardly obvious. She has gained in leaps and bounds. She still has her meltdowns but more with mom and dad than with us grandparents.

I am going to give her a lot of freedom this cruise. She will be allowed to check herself in and out of the kid center and go back to our cabin. If it is not too complicated I can send her to do things but it has to be simple. After two instructions she won't remember. Her biggest issues show up at school and the way they teach.