Traditional or Anytime Dining...

MsSoCalCruiser

Solos I need your help. Would you choose Traditional or Anytime Dining and why? Thanks!

I always choose anytime dining.

I usually meet new folks, and if we hit it off, then we plan to dine together again, if not, then the next night is another opportunity to meet someone else.

Traditional would be advantageous as you would know your tablemates for the rest of the cruise.

It would depend on your personality. If you are quite outgoing, I would opt for the anytime.

TIP: inform the MTD that you prefer a large "sharing" table, otherwise you may be seated alone, and that just feels awkward.

I like anytime dining best because I don't like to go to the MDR every night for dinner. Some nights a 2 1/2 hour dinner just feels like too much. For my last two cruises on HAL I did not do the formal dining. Seems like if I do a late afternoon tea I'm not in the mood for a big dinner.

On my last cruise (over the Christmas/New Years holiday) I went to the MDR about half the time for my meals in the evening. I liked meeting new people each time. I thought HAL did a really good job with us solos in the MDR. Also I really like being able to plan my dinner around my evening activities then the other way around. Faith

I usually meet new folks, and if we hit it off, then we plan to dine together again, if not, then the next night is another opportunity to meet someone else.

Traditional would be advantageous as you would know your tablemates for the rest of the cruise.

It would depend on your personality. If you are quite outgoing, I would opt for the anytime.

TIP: inform the MTD that you prefer a large "sharing" table, otherwise you may be seated alone, and that just feels awkward.

Thanks for your reply. I actually tend to be a bit shy until you get to know me, after that, not so much. I'm assigned to Early Traditional Dining but after reading your post, I think I'm going to change to Anytime. I didn't know that I could sit with others if I went with Anytime Dining. On my only other solo cruise, the only thing available was Traditional and that didn't go so well because I was the only one at the table who spoke english. :)

I like anytime dining best because I don't like to go to the MDR every night for dinner. Some nights a 2 1/2 hour dinner just feels like too much. For my last two cruises on HAL I did not do the formal dining. Seems like if I do a late afternoon tea I'm not in the mood for a big dinner.

On my last cruise (over the Christmas/New Years holiday) I went to the MDR about half the time for my meals in the evening. I liked meeting new people each time. I thought HAL did a really good job with us solos in the MDR. Also I really like being able to plan my dinner around my evening activities then the other way around. Faith

Thank you Faith. I'm going to change to Anytime dining. I hope this 7 day cruise goes well so I will want to cruise solo again. This will be the longest that I have ever been alone. Usually I have family or friends with me but they don't want to do this initerary and I do.

Thanks for your reply. I actually tend to be a bit shy until you get to know me, after that, not so much. I'm assigned to Early Traditional Dining but after reading your post, I think I'm going to change to Anytime. I didn't know that I could sit with others if I went with Anytime Dining. On my only other solo cruise, the only thing available was Traditional and that didn't go so well because I was the only one at the table who spoke english. :)

If that would happen, one would be well advised to speak to the MTD, they will understand and try to accomodate

I was seated once on the first night with a family, 3 kids, so politely told them no offense, but would seek a different table.

They all were very gracious and understanding so it wasn't awkward at all

Had a great group at my new table, but that was near the last of my traditional seatings...

My name is Brad, and I'm a cruiseaholic. It's been 36 days since my last cruise... :o

Solos I need your help. Would you choose Traditional or Anytime Dining and why? Thanks!

I see you are chasing platinum on Carnival, good for you!

You ever consider cabin sharing? It appears that you have indeed caught the cruise bug! That's a great $$ saver.

I've had really good luck with mine cabinmates, but then again, I'm very easy to get along with

I found out that Princess interiors are only 150% surcharge for solo, whereas CCL is 200%

Wanting to do a long cruise for my 25th (25% oonboard credit)

If that would happen, one would be well advised to speak to the MTD, they will understand and try to accomodate

I was seated once on the first night with a family, 3 kids, so politely told them no offense, but would seek a different table.

They all were very gracious and understanding so it wasn't awkward at all

Had a great group at my new table, but that was near the last of my traditional seatings...

My name is Brad, and I'm a cruiseaholic. It's been 36 days since my last cruise... :o

Hi Brad, my name is Linda and I'm also a cruiseaholic. It's been a lot more days than you since my last cruise. Actually, my last two cruises were last October. Thats enough to make a girl cry. :o

I see you are chasing platinum on Carnival, good for you!

You ever consider cabin sharing? It appears that you have indeed caught the cruise bug! That's a great $$ saver.

I've had really good luck with mine cabinmates, but then again, I'm very easy to get along with

I found out that Princess interiors are only 150% surcharge for solo, whereas CCL is 200%

Wanting to do a long cruise for my 25th (25% oonboard credit)

I was chasing platinum with Carnival but now they are going to change their rules, so, it doesn't look like I'm going to reach platinum status. Plus, Carnival will not be doing year round 7 day cruises from CA after they move the Splendor to NY. Yes, my heart is broken.

I thought about cabin sharing but I'm not sure if I could go that route.

Congrats on your soon to be 25th!!!

Hi Brad, my name is Linda and I'm also a cruiseaholic. It's been a lot more days than you since my last cruise. Actually, my last two cruises were last October. Thats enough to make a girl cry. :o

That's enough to make a boy cry! LOL

I just called my person at Princess to change to the anytime dining and she is out of the office until tomorrow. The cruise isn't until October so it should be ok.

Was your one and only Princess cruise a solo? How did you like Princess? I think my inside stateroom was around 150ish%, i need to do the math. The price was very close to what it would have cost to go to Mexico on the Splendor. Also on the plus side, I'm looking forward to this itinerary.

Don't laugh but I wish your signature listed which cruises you have sailed on. You have so many cruises, in such a short time. I would love to read your cruise history. LOL, I am addicted! Is there no cure???

Time to go to work. Have a great day.

I just called my person at Princess to change to the anytime dining and she is out of the office until tomorrow. The cruise isn't until October so it should be ok.

Was your one and only Princess cruise a solo? How did you like Princess? I think my inside stateroom was around 150ish%, i need to do the math. The price was very close to what it would have cost to go to Mexico on the Splendor. Also on the plus side, I'm looking forward to this itinerary.

Don't laugh but I wish your signature listed which cruises you have sailed on. You have so many cruises, in such a short time. I would love to read your cruise history. LOL, I am addicted! Is there no cure???

Time to go to work. Have a great day.

I actually had a cabinmate (very good one, we were quite compatible) on my Princess Crown.

Hopefully we will cruise again, we've both cruised alone and with others since. Maybe next winter, although she likes the longer cruises.

Had I went on Princess first, it is a very good chance that I would have sailed more with them.

I really enjoyed Princess, but felt there wasn't as much to do.

Food was better and more choices, although I have always been satisfied with Carnival too.

Actually have a back to back booked with Princess next Feb in addition to our annual Dreamers cruise in Jan. That is a super fun group!

We have group rates if you'd like to check into it, hit me up on facebook if you like.

I thought my signature would be annoying if I put all the cruises in there

I actually had a cabinmate (very good one, we were quite compatible) on my Princess Crown.

Hopefully we will cruise again, we've both cruised alone and with others since. Maybe next winter, although she likes the longer cruises.

Had I went on Princess first, it is a very good chance that I would have sailed more with them.

I really enjoyed Princess, but felt there wasn't as much to do.

Food was better and more choices, although I have always been satisfied with Carnival too.

Actually have a back to back booked with Princess next Feb in addition to our annual Dreamers cruise in Jan. That is a super fun group!

We have group rates if you'd like to check into it, hit me up on facebook if you like.

I thought my signature would be annoying if I put all the cruises in there

I was going to say that I was worried about Princess but it can't be that boring if you are going to go on a B2B. Am I reading this right? Three Princess cruises in two months? I wish!

Are the Dreamers a CC group? Where are you going this year?

Those that are annoyed by signatures usually turn them off.:)

I was going to say that I was worried about Princess but it can't be that boring if you are going to go on a B2B. Am I reading this right? Three Princess cruises in two months? I wish!

Are the Dreamers a CC group? Where are you going this year?

Those that are annoyed by signatures usually turn them off.:)

Not officially, just a group of folks I've met that we all get along well and like the same things.

We decided to cruise together once a year until one of us dies, then we'll cruise together twice a year.

This will be our third, and we keep adding folks each year.

It's the CCL Dream Jan 19, 2013

You can look us up on fb

Not officially, just a group of folks I've met that we all get along well and like the same things.

We decided to cruise together once a year until one of us dies, then we'll cruise together twice a year.

This will be our third, and we keep adding folks each year.

It's the CCL Dream Jan 19, 2013

You can look us up on fb

I tried looking you up on fb but wasn't sure what to look for. Is this group young, old, middle or a mixture?

Beth

Anytime dining is more than acceptable if you're traveling with someone: your boyfriend/girlfriend, spouse, friend(s), or family. Especially if you don't need to have the same server every day and/or eat dinner at random times. NCL's Freestyle Dining, plus other lines' non-assigned dining is designed to appeal to just that. Since most cruisers are not solo, NCL made that decision for their ships, despite marketing to solos with their studio cabins and studio lounge.

But for solo cruising, I think I'd enjoy the relative security of an assigned dining group, to avoid the hassle of reintroducing myself to new dining partners each day and to have a group to "debrief" with about the day's experiences. Without it, I can manage by asking groups of people if I can sit with them or just eating alone, but then it'd feel like having lunch on your first day at work each day of the cruise. And when I'm vacationing, the last thing I want is anything remotely reminding me of work.

DH and I did Anytime Dining on what turned out to be his last cruise. Even then we wound up being seated with the same couple most of the time, and they were not particularly communicative.

Now that he's deceased, and I'm traveling solo I prefer traditional dining so I will have the assurance of a group of people with whom to sit each night. If the first night doesn't go well, I can always ask to be moved.

I've also discovered that by being on an active Roll Call someone will inevitably suggest I sit at their table. This is the case for my TA scheduled for November. There will actually be a table made up of Roll Call cruisers only.

I have done Anytime dining simply because when I travel solo I am truly on my time. If I get hungry, I can go. I don't have to pre-plan my night around a dining time. I have met some really great people while sailing solo and we often ate together. Its a great concept and I really love it.

I have done Anytime dining simply because when I travel solo I am truly on my time. If I get hungry, I can go. I don't have to pre-plan my night around a dining time. I have met some really great people while sailing solo and we often ate together. Its a great concept and I really love it.

I totally agree! Yes, the familiarity of traditional is nice, but I just love not being tied down to a pre-set schedule.

Just reading through this discussion as the OP's question had occurred to me too and there are definitely some interesting and varying viewpoints here. I'm wondering, though, how much does the experience depend on the cruise line?

e.g. I noticed that one response hinted that Anytime was more aimed at couples and families than solos (unless I misinterpreted). Is that a particular cruise line's take on it?

And, if I choose Anytime dining, do I still end up at a table with a large group of strangers or could I opt for a table on my own, if I so choose?

Questions, questions, questions :p

Archived