Back from Caribbean cruise on Celebration

Hello all. We came back from our cruise last Monday, having done 2 weeks back to back. We had an amazing cruise. This was due to the superb itinerary, the fact the crew and passengers are so friendly, and also due to making the most of every port.

What I like about Thomson is the fact that most people seem to be in a similar situation to me, by that I mean There isn't a class division as there is on some cruise lines, and it's not frequented by lots of multimillionaires! I think the open sitting in the Meridian encourages a friendly atmosphere. We also went to Mistral, and Kora La during our cruise. Really enjoyed Kora La, not so impressed with Mistral. Service was great in both, but Kora La offered up something different.

We used the new coffee port lots of times, which was lovely, but why can't I expect the same quality of coffee and cakes or Ice-Cream to be included as part of the cruise. (even in much smaller portions)oo

J

We had really pushed the boat out, and had a deck 9 balcony cabin. The cabin was great, we had been on deck 9 before, prior to balconies, so sort on knew what to expect. The bathroom had been partly refurbished, the pink tiles with sad looking grout replaced. However, the toilet was old, chipped and stained, the bath also stained, and the sink had 3 cracks in it. How much would a new bathroom suite in these cabins have cost. Also the other negative was the new sun deck now above with loungers being put out between 7-7.30am, and then often when you wanted a nap after a busy day, you couldn't because they were making a racket putting loungers away.

After doing cruises on other lines we also missed the variety of shall we say more classical entertainment. Where the coffee port is the used to be a pianist and a violinist. This has now been replaced with something to make more money, and maybe appreciated more, but all types of activities are disappearing, just like the sports deck.

Overall, although we had a wonderful time, given the cost of a balcony cabin on Thomson, compared to other lines the Celebration is lacking in lots of areas. This is hard for me to say, because I have enjoyed every cruise we have had on it, but it really can't compete, at least not at the 'full' cruise prices it tries to sell the cruises at. I think the day we were in St Martin, with the Oasis of the Seas, RCL and the Reflection (Celebrity), even the cruise director and Captain sounded somewhat embarrassed. With the Captain saying what an impressive ship Oasis was, as some of the officers had been over to visit it.

There is a place for the older ships, but they need more than sunbeds on every single piece of open deck, 3*food, and quizzes. Please try to re-create the real feel of luxury cruising. Keep some spaces for other activities. Include food of the type in the coffee port.

I wouldn't rule Thomson out, but we wouldn't be looking at them first any longer. Also, have found myself saying these things to friends this time, whereas I have always recommended them before.

Sweby

Thank you sweby for a very detailed and interesting review. You explain your reservations as well as the aspects of the cruise you valued so this gives me a good feel for the Celebration from what appears to me to be a very fair and balanced review. Celebration has a very special place in our hearts - we did our first cruise and about another dozen on her! But I do appreciate where you're coming from in commenting on changes and what else is out there. We had a similar thoughts after our last trip on Dream.

I do agree with you sweby. The age of the ship doesn't bother me as much as the lay-out. However I still feel we need bright unchipped bathrooms, with new towels. Beds with new sheets. Meals which are memorable. I still make some recipes from cruises 15 years ago.

I hope Thomsons are letting things go because they are replacing all of the ships, but if this is the case I think the prices should be reduced drastically until we get them. There is however no excuse for the food not being kept up to scratch.