No Water in St. Barths

mafig

I guess no one from our cruise last week on the Century has stopped by here to report this.

When we arrived in St. Barths we were informed that there was a problem with their water treatment plant and that there would be no toilet facilities in St. Barths that day. This included restaurants and bars.

Whether the problem corrected itself as soon as our ship left is anyone's guess.

• 2 weeks later...
I guess no one from our cruise last week on the Century has stopped by here to report this.

When we arrived in St. Barths we were informed that there was a problem with their water treatment plant and that there would be no toilet facilities in St. Barths that day. This included restaurants and bars.

Whether the problem corrected itself as soon as our ship left is anyone's guess.

Hey Mafig -- we were on Century with you. I heard from folks who tendered in later that day -- that, yes, the "waterworks problem" miraculously corrected itself around mid-afternoon. What a coincidence, eh? :rolleyes:

I've been reading that St. Barts is one of the islands currently being affected by this new mosquito-borne virus. My DH laughed at that and said that we certainly didn't need bug spray on St. Barts, as their mosquitoes were too snobby to bite us. ;)

• 2 months later...

I feel bad to read this.

We had two or three wonderful port calls in St. Bart's.

The implication here is that the island is suggesting they may like the cruise ship calls to be stopped?

What a shame. We loved it there.

• 2 weeks later...

Celebrity is a main stream cruiseline so I am not surprised that passengers were not welcomed with open arms in St. Bart's. It's a lovely island but they prefer yachts and movie stars to cruiseships and regular folks.

• 3 weeks later...
I feel bad to read this.

We had two or three wonderful port calls in St. Bart's.

The implication here is that the island is suggesting they may like the cruise ship calls to be stopped?

What a shame. We loved it there.

I agree about loving St Barts. But one of the main reasons we love that island is because they seldom have cruise ships, and when they do they are usually the smaller ultra-luxury ships. DW and I are cruise lovers (have spent over 3 years of our lives cruising) but also love staying on land/islands. We would never take a land vacation to St Thomas because the island is overrun with cruise ship passengers (sometimes including us) which just makes the traffic problems much worse. It is the same with St Barts. The folks who pay the big bucks to vacation on that island do not want to share it with cruise ship folks...and we don't blame them :)

Hank

I agree about loving St Barts. But one of the main reasons we love that island is because they seldom have cruise ships, and when they do they are usually the smaller ultra-luxury ships. DW and I are cruise lovers (have spent over 3 years of our lives cruising) but also love staying on land/islands. We would never take a land vacation to St Thomas because the island is overrun with cruise ship passengers (sometimes including us) which just makes the traffic problems much worse. It is the same with St Barts. The folks who pay the big bucks to vacation on that island do not want to share it with cruise ship folks...and we don't blame them :)

Hank

Yes, indeed. :D

interesting

we are stopping there in oct 2014

Might be interesting indeed. If you were on the Seabourn or Regent ships (that also stop in St Barts that month) you would probably be welcome as potential future visitors to the island. But some of those islanders will probably look down their noses at a Celebrity ship. Some folks just cannot help themselves about being snobby. The one time we went to St Barts on a cruise ship (and it was Regent) we managed to get a taxi to a beach (Grand Cul de Sac) and tried to disguise the fact that we were cruise ship passengers :). DW still reminds me of the simple lunch we had at a beach restaurant which cost us nearly $100. Love this island :)

Hank

• 1 month later...

We were at St. Bart's two or (I think) three times while cruising on Maasdam.

We were treated well everywhere we went and had no issues whatsoever. We

had a wonderful independent taxi/tour guide who could not have been more

professional and respectful.

Likely if we show good manners and respect, the same is returned to us.

• 2 weeks later...
We were at St. Bart's two or (I think) three times while cruising on Maasdam.

We were treated well everywhere we went and had no issues whatsoever. We

had a wonderful independent taxi/tour guide who could not have been more

professional and respectful.

Likely if we show good manners and respect, the same is returned to us.

Sail7seas, would you be able to share the independent taxi/ tour guide you had take you around? Thank you!

Karen:)

Sail7seas, would you be able to share the independent taxi/ tour guide you had take you around? Thank you!

Karen:)

We are visiting on 10/31 and would also like to know of the independent tour guide that Sail7seas had recently used, with length of tour and cost. We are not into upscale shopping and anxious to see the island. Thanks for your help.

Jan