South Friars Snorkeling

MnLorax26

• 4 weeks later...

There was nothing to see immediately in front of Carambola Beach. Funny as there were many in the water with masks and snorkels:rolleyes:. Swim out about 100 ft then head along the shoreline towards Shipwreck at least 300 ft. There is a small pretty reef that is very shallow and close to shore. Lots of interesting coral and fish. I wish I had known this right away as I wasted lots of time. I was the only snorkeler at the reef on the afternoon we were there.

You must enter at Carambola though and swim down to it as it is too close to the surface to walk the beach, enter later and swim over it.

Next trip we will be trying Shipwreck.

There was nothing to see immediately in front of Carambola Beach. Funny as there were many in the water with masks and snorkels:rolleyes:. Swim out about 100 ft then head along the shoreline towards Shipwreck at least 300 ft. There is a small pretty reef that is very shallow and close to shore. Lots of interesting coral and fish. I wish I had known this right away as I wasted lots of time. I was the only snorkeler at the reef on the afternoon we were there.

You must enter at Carambola though and swim down to it as it is too close to the surface to walk the beach, enter later and swim over it.

Next trip we will be trying Shipwreck.

When you enter the water at Carambola Beach, is Shipwreck to the left or to the right?

Have you considered Cockelshell Bay? We took a taxi there last April and spent about 4 hours there. There's even a ferry there that can take you to Bequia (sp) or back to the ship port. Snorkeling on the left by the rocks was quite good. It was our 2nd port. If you'd like to check out some pictures of our trip there, click here and scan down to St. Kitt's.

http://travelingwithsue.blogspot.com/2014/05/2014-april-11-22-maasdam-southern.html#more

Have you considered Cockelshell Bay? We took a taxi there last April and spent about 4 hours there. There's even a ferry there that can take you to Bequia (sp) or back to the ship port. Snorkeling on the left by the rocks was quite good. It was our 2nd port. If you'd like to check out some pictures of our trip there, click here and scan down to St. Kitt's.

http://travelingwithsue.blogspot.com/2014/05/2014-april-11-22-maasdam-southern.html#more

I think you may be mixing your islands..Bequia is down in the Grenedines, a significant distance from St Kitts. Maybe you mean Nevis?

• 2 weeks later...
When you enter the water at Carambola Beach, is Shipwreck to the left or to the right?

To the left. If you go to google maps and switch to satellite view you can clearly see the reef and how close to shore it is. It runs all the way from Carambola to Shipwreck. You can also see how directly in front of Carambola there is no reef, just sand.

• 2 months later...