Picture of room set-up with mattress on floor?

SunnydayKim

Hello! We are sailing next week (can not wait!) with our (almost) 2.5 year old. I originally was thinking about using the couch and simply turning it around against the wall as his bed; however- where would we then sit to read, eat snacks, etc. So... I was thinking about taking the mattress from the "top bunk" and putting it on the floor for his bed. I do not know if this would fit well and still allow us to walk, get around. (note that we will be using his bed for both naptime & night).

BTW- we have a balcony room on the Victory.

Thanks in advance if anyone has a picture or more details on this set up!

Kim

Yes- he is too big for a pack and play and climbs out of them! (started doing this last time we used the pack-n-play last August before he was two!)

Thanks though! Our goal is just for him to have so much fun on the ship and at the beach that nap times & bed times he will (hopefully) sleep anywhere we can make it work!

Kim

Sorry, no photos online but we did this on Magic (one twin on the couch, the other on the mattress) and had no issues. There is not a huge amount of space in the 'aisle', but there is enough to walk past. This was in a balcony, last May.

We tried this on Splendor in November and were denied until I escalated to the platinum desk. Even then, it took a bit of convincing. They claimed it was a safety issue, which admittedly isn't entirely crazy. Though I'm not sure how having 2 people in upper bunks in the theoretical smoke-filled cabin is safer. :eek: This was in an inside cabin, which has a tighter floor plan and really does leave almost nowhere to walk with a mattress on the floor. This was in November. It was not stated that the rules (or enforcement) had changed, but it is possible, so FYI that you may not be allowed to have the mattress on the floor at all.

The Splendor cruise influenced our decision to take our most recent cruise on on MSC where (some of) the balconies have a double sleeper sofa... what a great idea! In fact, on Poesia the "four on the floor" quads are aft balconies. :D She is being replaced by Divina shortly, which has more of these types of quads, but they all appear to be side balconies.

~~~~

I agree with CB: let him nap on the bed. Otherwise you'll lose the floor space 24x7. If you do it just at night, they will pull the mattress down each night. And tip a bit extra: moving that mattress up and down is no small feat.

Thanks for the advice! Eating/snacking on the balcony is a great idea! I didn't even think of that- how silly of me! Of course we will want to do that :)

Still on the fence about the couch or the bed- I guess I will just play it by ear and see what works best!

Thanks again! We are heading to Miami Sunday morning! Counting down the hours!

Kim

Archived