Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > New Orleans

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old January 18th, 2013, 07:58 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Croissant D'Or Patisserie vs Cafe Du Monde

http://www.yelp.com/biz/croissant-d-...ie-new-orleans

Our tour guide says Croissant D'Or Patisserie is a real French Pastisseirie and is where the locals go. He says tourist go to Cafe du Monde because "that is what you are suppose to do." Hmmm. I showed the kids the pictures and they picked Cafe du Monde, but I plan to try Croissant D'Or Patisserie the next time we pass by.

Ad Sponsored By
Old January 18th, 2013, 08:18 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelndscz View Post
http://www.yelp.com/biz/croissant-d-...ie-new-orleans

Our tour guide says Croissant D'Or Patisserie is a real French Pastisseirie and is where the locals go. He says tourist go to Cafe du Monde because "that is what you are suppose to do." Hmmm. I showed the kids the pictures and they picked Cafe du Monde, but I plan to try Croissant D'Or Patisserie the next time we pass by.
CDM is a New Orleans icon and should not be missed by visitors. Croissant D'Or is woderful and we often drive into the city to get breakfast there but you have to get there before 10 AM or they will run out of the most popular items.

However, you can do both in one day without missing a beat. Get breakfast at the Patisserie and then after dinner or lunch go to Cafe Du Monde when its usually less crowded and get your cafe-au-lait and beignets.

Jorge

Old January 18th, 2013, 09:10 AM
10,000+ Club

Agree with Jorge. Cannot imagine being in NO and not stopping at CDMA for beignets and their terrific coffee. Sure, it's popular with tourists (and locals) and has been for many years. Why? Because its simply good.

Hank

Old January 21st, 2013, 07:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

I never made it to Croissant D'Or Patisserie. Since the previous poster said they sell out early, I didn't want to have to get the kids up too early. We did make it to Cafe Du Monde around midnight Saturday. We did like it. Really it's just like a funnel cake/elephant ear from the fair just shaped like a square. Note: They are cash only.

Old January 27th, 2013, 12:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

I couldn't face myself if I went to NOLA without a stop at Cafe du Monde but then again I'm a complete coffee junkie... lol Was just there two weeks ago.
Carnival Freedom, November 2011 - Ft. Lauderdale, St. Thomas, Antigua, Tortola, Nassau
Carnival Paradise, February 2011 - Long Beach, Catalina Island, Ensenada
Carnival Liberty, November 2010 - Miami, Nassau, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk
Carnival Valor, November 2009 - Miami, Costa Maya, Belize, Cozumel, Grand Cayman

Old March 3rd, 2013, 02:32 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I'm going in September and plan on checking out both places. The Patisserie is few blocks over from where I am staying. If I like it I can take the long way to Cafe Du Monde and hit the patisserie early (like by 8am) in the morning and then go for some beignets......
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory & Magic
2012 Liberty
2013 Conquest
2014 Dream and NOLa (I hope!)

An over 40 victim of fate......