First Ever Cruise, sorry crossing - Queen Mary 2

Robbiechops

Hi everyone - still finding my sea legs on here so hoping some more experienced seafarers can give me some great advice to make the most of my upcoming transatlantic crossing on the QM2 in May from UK to US.

It will be a grand affair and we have booked a Q5 room to make the most of our 40th Birthday celebrations. I have a number of questions so hope someone won't mind taking the time to reply, as I'm not finding the Cunard website that helpful!

1. What time can you usual board QM2 on departure day, and are the facilities open from the word go? What is the usual departure time and procedure and is there a big fanfare of a send off?

2. On here there seem to be conflicting reviews about what is gratis in a Queens Grill Room and how helpful the butlers are?

3. Any top tips that can be shared to ensure we have a most enjoyable journey - most likely to be once in a lifetime for us.

4. How informal is life on board during the day - i.e. can we get away with smart trousers and polo shirt for breakfast and lunch?

5. What is the disembarkation procedure like at Brooklyn please? And do we get breakfast before disembarkation? How long does it take to clear immigration as we have an internal flight to catch mid-afternoon!

6. Should I make Cunard aware of our birthday celebrations and dietary requirements (I have a food allergy)

7. I want to make the most of my time onboard - what would regular and first timers on QM2 recommend please?

Thanks in advance and look forward to your replies

Hi everyone - still finding my sea legs on here so hoping some more experienced seafarers can give me some great advice to make the most of my upcoming transatlantic crossing on the QM2 in May from UK to US.

It will be a grand affair and we have booked a Q5 room to make the most of our 40th Birthday celebrations. I have a number of questions so hope someone won't mind taking the time to reply, as I'm not finding the Cunard website that helpful!

1. What time can you usual board QM2 on departure day, and are the facilities open from the word go? What is the usual departure time and procedure and is there a big fanfare of a send off?

2. On here there seem to be conflicting reviews about what is gratis in a Queens Grill Room and how helpful the butlers are?

3. Any top tips that can be shared to ensure we have a most enjoyable journey - most likely to be once in a lifetime for us.

4. How informal is life on board during the day - i.e. can we get away with smart trousers and polo shirt for breakfast and lunch? The website says jackets (no tie) required for supper on smart casual days. Tux or dinner jacket on formal nights.

5. What is the disembarkation procedure like at Brooklyn please? And do we get breakfast before disembarkation? How long does it take to clear immigration as we have an internal flight to catch mid-afternoon!

6. Should I make Cunard aware of our birthday celebrations and dietary requirements (I have a food allergy)Yes tell Cunard of your food allergies and any celebrations during the cruise.

7. I want to make the most of my time onboard - what would regular and first timers on QM2 recommend please?

I would love to try Cunard on a Trans Atlantic or Panama Canal cruise someday.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! I too took my first ever cruise on Queen Mary 2 and have since completed five voyages. (On Cunard we book a stateroom for a voyage and not a cabin for a cruise.:D)

Cunard does have a separate Q&A site at ask.cunard.com

Your boarding time will be on your ticket. Staggered boarding times are used to that everyone doesn't show up at once and overwhelm the system. But in practice the ship will be ready for boarding about Noon. As a Grills passenger you can go straight from check-in to your stateroom. There is a sail away celebration on Deck 13 and aft, but these are moved inside to the Pavillian Pool if weather is bad.

In the QG restaurant anything other than alcoholic drinks and specialty coffees is included. My one time in QG was a brief voyage so I cannot really evaluate how helpful the butlers might be.

There are many and I'm sure you will hear more. Make a point to attend afternoon tea in the Queens Grill Lounge. It's less crowded, quiet, and your choice of tea will be brewed for you. Don't miss on the scones which are heavenly. One of my favorite observation places is Deck 11 just below the bridge. It's reached through the side alleyways of the Atlantic Room.

4. How informal is life on board during the day - i.e. can we get away with smart trousers and polo shirt for breakfast and lunch?

You'll be fine just like that before 6PM ship's time.

Yes, there is an early full hot breakfast served in the restaurant on disembarkation day. As a Q5 you will be in an early group. I've gone through immigration and customs in 5 minutes but I am a US citizen. Some UK citizens here can tell you of their experience.

6. Should I make Cunard aware of our birthday celebrations and dietary requirements (I have a food allergy)

This can be arranged in advance if you need a special diet and check with the Maitre'D on the first night. You will find that Cunard is very attentive at this. If there are just specific items which you need to avoid let the staff know.

On your first sea day you will likely want to explore the ship. Tickets for the planetarium are limited (only the red center seats in Illuminations can be used for these shows) but an allotment is set aside in the Concierge Lounge. You'll get a lot more tips from others.

I must however give you a warning. After a transatlantic on Queen Mary 2 you might just find her to be a seductive lady!

Edited by BlueRiband

1. What time can you usual board QM2 on departure day, and are the facilities open from the word go? What is the usual departure time and procedure and is there a big fanfare of a send off? The Grills restaurants are open for lunch on departure day.

2. On here there seem to be conflicting reviews about what is gratis in a Queens Grill Room and how helpful the butlers are? Only alcoholic drinks are extra charge in the restaurants. How helpful butlers are depends on their personalities/training and what you ask of them.

3. Any top tips that can be shared to ensure we have a most enjoyable journey - most likely to be once in a lifetime for us. See the Things I love about the QM2 thread for starters.

4. How informal is life on board during the day - i.e. can we get away with smart trousers and polo shirt for breakfast and lunch? Yes.

5. What is the disembarkation procedure like at Brooklyn please? And do we get breakfast before disembarkation? How long does it take to clear immigration as we have an internal flight to catch mid-afternoon! The Grills restaurants are open for breakfast on disembarkation day. You should be leaving the ship no later than 0930 and leaving the terminal no more than an hour later at the outside.

6. Should I make Cunard aware of our birthday celebrations and dietary requirements (I have a food allergy) Dietary requirements, certainly. See what ask.cunard.com has to say about Special diet. If you want Cunard to make a fuss about your birthdays, tell them.

7. I want to make the most of my time onboard - what would regular and first timers on QM2 recommend please? See 3. above.

Bon Voyage!

1. What time can you usual board QM2 on departure day, and are the facilities open from the word go? What is the usual departure time and procedure and is there a big fanfare of a send off? Even if you are given a specific time you could possibly board earlier. I aimed to arrive by 11.30am and was on board in under an hour. Yes you can use every facility as soon as you board but your suite may not be available until after 1.30pm. Sometimes if you are lucky you will have a band on the quayside but there is always a sailaway party on board with music and dancing. (Sailaway is my favourite part of of the cruise)

2. On here there seem to be conflicting reviews about what is gratis in a Queens Grill Room and how helpful the butlers are? Sorry, can't help you there.

3. Any top tips that can be shared to ensure we have a most enjoyable journey - most likely to be once in a lifetime for us. Make sure you rise early for the sail in past the Statue of Liberty (port side) and your first glimpse of the Manhattan skyline (magical)

4. How informal is life on board during the day - i.e. can we get away with smart trousers and polo shirt for breakfast and lunch? Most definitely

5. What is the disembarkation procedure like at Brooklyn please? And do we get breakfast before disembarkation? How long does it take to clear immigration as we have an internal flight to catch mid-afternoon! Not a pleasant experience if you are non-american. Strict no-nonsense , humourless officials. Ask at customer services for an early disembarkation time...takes approx 1 hour once off the ship.

6. Should I make Cunard aware of our birthday celebrations and dietary requirements (I have a food allergy) Yes

7. I want to make the most of my time onboard - what would regular and first timers on QM2 recommend please? Lots of daytime activities to suit all tastes. Afternoon tea a must.

Hope this helps

Hi, you are looking forward to a great trip.

If you don't know to utilize a butler just don't worry about it. He/she will not disturb you. It's a nice asset. Unfortunately they do not fix buttons on clothes :-(.

You have to vacate the stateroom by 8 am with all your belongings. We do go for breakfast then at th QG. Immigration at Brooklyn isn't always a bad experience but catching a flight at JFK departing before 4pm is unlikely.

Birthdays are notice by the crew without your active notification. I had been assigned the table no of my birthday once on a WC. You will get a birthday cake aftr dinner - to share with your table mates if you want. Sometimes the waitrs will sing at your table. Birthday may be announced at morning tv if ordered by you.

I have given a few cocktail parties either in my suite - that's where the butler will be very helpful- or at the Commodore Club or one of the club lounges for important bithdays or wedding anniversaries.

Hi Robbiechops. You have been given some good answers & links. We usually get to the ship for 11.45am & as you are in the Grills you will have priority boarding so you may well get straight on the ship. The first time we were on we didn't know that the restaurant was open for lunch. Grrr...

Check the daily programme in your suite. The butlers are usually very good we have found.

You will have a choice of 2 bottles of spirits or wine (the butler will give you a list) Beer & soft drinks included too.

BTW Cunardaddict, last time the butler glued a big spangly decoration back on one of my shoes :D

We just tried to notify Cunard of our upcoming "birthday" voyage for my husband...one he specifically chose because of his love of ships and wanting to do a Transatlantic aboard the QM2 for her 10th Anniversary. SADLY...since my husband's birthday is in April and the special QM2 10th Anniversary Transatlantic sailing isn't until the first part of May, Cunard is unable to make my husband's "belated" birthday cruise special with a birthday cake, etc., because we aren't with them on the ACTUAL date of my husband's birthday. Personally speaking, this seems a bit picky, especially if one wishes to take a special sailing for their birthday. Of course, Cunard recommended that we purchase their birthday package, which I might end up doing, with a bit of principled reluctance.

But, since you are sailing in a Q5 Category Cabin, the rules might be different in your case. Best of luck to you on your 40th birthday celebrations and your "once in a life-time trip".

Debjo

We just tried to notify Cunard of our upcoming "birthday" voyage for my husband...one he specifically chose because of his love of ships and wanting to do a Transatlantic aboard the QM2 for her 10th Anniversary. SADLY...since my husband's birthday is in April and the special QM2 10th Anniversary Transatlantic sailing isn't until the first part of May, Cunard is unable to make my husband's "belated" birthday cruise special with a birthday cake, etc., because we aren't with them on the ACTUAL date of my husband's birthday. Personally speaking, this seems a bit picky, especially if one wishes to take a special sailing for their birthday. Of course, Cunard recommended that we purchase their birthday package, which I might end up doing, with a bit of principled reluctance.

But, since you are sailing in a Q5 Category Cabin, the rules might be different in your case. Best of luck to you on your 40th birthday celebrations and your "once in a life-time trip".

Debjo

This past summer in PG on the Queen Elizabeth one of the passengers at our table was having her 50th birthday. She got a piece of cake - yes, just one piece - with a candle in it. Waiters do not sing to the passengers in the Grills (one of the many things I like about the Grills) so that was it. Up until two or three years ago a full cake was delivered for birthdays and wedding anniversaries. There was quite a package for anniversaries: a bottle of bubbly, roses, a free formal photograph and chocolates. Proof of the wedding date was necessary to get this package and you only had to be within a month or maybe two either way from the actual date. We had that free package twice. Now you have to pay for it, although you get Champagne not just sparkling wine.

This past summer in PG on the Queen Elizabeth one of the passengers at our table was having her 50th birthday. She got a piece of cake - yes, just one piece - with a candle in it. Waiters do not sing to the passengers in the Grills (one of the many things I like about the Grills) so that was it. Up until two or three years ago a full cake was delivered for birthdays and wedding anniversaries.

Still is. She might have had the cake earlier that day and the piece is just the remainder.

Still is. She might have had the cake earlier that day and the piece is just the remainder.

That was not the case. The only reason she got the one piece of cake is because the rest of us at the table told one of our waiters that it was her birthday. So he went to the kitchen and got it. There was also no card. There used to be a card from the captain and crew. We noticed this on our last three voyages. This doesn't bother me at all, but I know some people enjoy a little fuss. It really is cheap of Cunard to do away with these little goodies.

That was not the case. The only reason she got the one piece of cake is because the rest of us at the table told one of our waiters that it was her birthday. So he went to the kitchen and got it. There was also no card. There used to be a card from the captain and crew. We noticed this on our last three voyages. This doesn't bother me at all, but I know some people enjoy a little fuss. It really is cheap of Cunard to do away with these little goodies.

I have never experienced this. There must be a good explanation for this.

Hello Robbiechops,

Since you are new to CC message boards, I wonder if you have found the roll-call board pertaining to your specific sailing date yet?

Lots of information on that message board that will be specific to your voyage.

Will you be crossing on May 9th? If so, you and the Queen Mary 2 can celebrate birthdays together.

Have a wonderful voyage!

You also get a free fresh fruit basket in your Q level room, in addition to the complimentary beer & sodas/mixers (and 2 bottles of spirits) you will get bottled water replenished every day.

Since I don't really want the butler to see what I've packed :rolleyes:, I don't use the unpacking/packing services. You will have a choice of multiple types of pillows, and complimentary personalized stationery in Q suites.

You will also have fresh flowers in the room - one at the entrance, one on your coffee table.

You will get a bottle of champagne upon embarkation with iced strawberries and chocolates, while those in Britannia class must figure out multiple ways of using their requisite bottle of Pol Acker...(tear gas, drain cleaner, bio-research). You will also get some very nice special treats on formal nights.

The maître d' in the QG will not only answer your every request regarding your allergy, he'll also come around at lunch and ask if you want anything special for dinner. I ordered wild mushroom risotto twice - it was delicious. We ordered Beef Wellington one night. They encourage you to order "off menu". Think of your favorite dish that is too time-consuming for you to cook and order it, like a special pasta dish or a soufflé. I'm partial to flambé desserts and they will cook you whatever you would like tableside...Bananas Foster, Crepes Suzette, etc. In fact Ozman was making recommendations after the first week -"how about Strawberries Romanoff or Cherries Jubilee"? Don't be afraid to speak up and order it! And the QG staff wants to please, and I found just being thankful for their efforts really produces fabulous results. Of course, we order extras and special desserts, and we tip at the end accordingly.

I recommend lunch once (or 3 times) in the Golden Lion pub. Then again, I am an American so we don't have pubs here to choose from, but the pub lunch is very good, fish and chips, Steak & Mushroom pie, something called Korma I have never ventured to try, and a "Ploughman's Lunch". They have black & Tans, old Speckled hen on draft and Boddington's on draft. Sir Samuels offers a dainty lunch of croissant sandwiches & quiches.

Make sure you do tea in the Grills Lounge as they will offer special treats much better than the tea in the Queens Room, but if you are so inclined, there is a Tea Dance one day in the Queens Room and live entertainment.

The entertainment is hit and miss for me. If RADA is doing Canterbury Tales it is hilarious. Apassionata has very good dancing. On the formal nights the ballroom exhibition in the Queens Room is always very good.

I turned 29 ten years ago and have not celebrated a birthday since so I can't help you there...Enjoy your trip. After PG/QG it's not easy to sail any other way.

I can't believe that you can't make a flight out of JFK earlier than 4:00pm on disembarkation day! If that is true, we may have to spend the night in NYC or at the airport and fly back to Florida the next morning...oh, dear.

Does anyone have better experiences? We will be traveling in the Princess Grill.

Hi to all that have replied for some reason I haven't been receiving the new reply alerts from cc. Really appreciate the time you have taken to reply to me. Thankfully my flight to Las Vegas isn't till the evening so hopefully will have plenty of time.

I shall certainly be looking at all the links to make the most of the voyage, and we shall certainly be boarding as early as possible to get the most from our experience.

Jimmy bean you mentioned the roll call for the 9th may, where do I find this please?

Thanks once again to you all, really appreciate you guiding this QM2 first timer! So excited about the trip!

Hello Robbiechops,

Since you are new to CC message boards, I wonder if you have found the roll-call board pertaining to your specific sailing date yet?

Lots of information on that message board that will be specific to your voyage.

Will you be crossing on May 9th? If so, you and the Queen Mary 2 can celebrate birthdays together.

Have a wonderful voyage!

Indeed I will be with my partner who also celebrates their 40th so quite an occasion for us both! :)

Wow now I am really excited - I do get very embarrassed with my allergy, and I know my travel agent has made cunard aware of both allergy and birthdays so will see what happens. Mushroom risotto is a favourite of mine, as is beef Wellington, so now I know you can ask I will!

Thanks for the recommendation if the pub as well, something we have an abundant supply if in the uk, but can't help but think we shall be visiting it during the crossing.