Dawn ???

rhinomike

We are thinking about booking a cruise on the Dawn out of New Orleans. We have been on both the Star and Spirit. Loved the Spirit. The Star seemed a little run down. That was several years ago.

When was the last time the Dawn was in Dry Dock? I think it is an older ship. Any pros or cons? What do you guys think of her?

Our other option is the Carnival Dream. Our norm is Carnival but my wife likes the itinerary a little better on the Dawn.

Thoughts?

We are thinking about booking a cruise on the Dawn out of New Orleans. We have been on both the Star and Spirit. Loved the Spirit. The Star seemed a little run down. That was several years ago.

When was the last time the Dawn was in Dry Dock? I think it is an older ship. Any pros or cons? What do you guys think of her?

Our other option is the Carnival Dream. Our norm is Carnival but my wife likes the itinerary a little better on the Dawn.

Thoughts?

I was on the Dawn a year ago, maybe a little longer, and it was just fine. Everything looked good and seemed to be in good working order. Staff was great. Food was good. On deck 13 forward there is a hot tub away from all the other activity.

Don't know the last dry dock, and can't compare the Dawn with the Carnival Dream. I would choose the Dawn, due to the fact I would just choose NCL over Carnival.

Thoughts?

The Dawn was built in 2002 and refurbished in 2011. She will not be due for dry dock and refurbishing in 2016.

For, I am booked on Her for 18 January 2015 and I am in countdown mode now. I am so looking forward to sail on Her. This will be my first cruise on Her.

Dawn just got tons of new carpeting .

The theater was upgraded with all new upholstery .

New coffee machines in the buffet ( that make a 1/2 decent cup of joe ).

New chairs in the buffet that don't hold water from wet swimsuits .

Juice machines now have flavored waters.

Promenade deck was refinished and murals repainted too .

New menus in the Mdrs

Etc.

She's in pretty good shape . :)

Edited by biker@sea

We were just on the Dawn (Boston to Bermuda) and thought that the physical plant was in fine shape. We did think that the pool area is much too small for the number of passengers onboard and there were several instances where the level and quality of service was severely lacking. That is not to say that we did not encounter some extraordinarily good staff- we definitely did - but there were too many others who seemed not to want to be on the ship or serving the guests. Perhaps there were a large number of crew members too eager to finish up their time onboard and their performances suffered as a result. I think that NCL may be noting a rise in less than complimentary comments about this ship and will likely take actions to improve the situation by removing some dead weight.

My wife said the Dawn. It has an extra Port and we don't like sea days. The Dream has an extra sea day.

I hope we like the Dawn.

Any cabins to stay away from? Although I'm sure our choices will be limited. We want to go after Christmas for New Years Eve.

My wife said the Dawn. It has an extra Port and we don't like sea days. The Dream has an extra sea day.

I hope we like the Dawn.

Any cabins to stay away from? Although I'm sure our choices will be limited. We want to go after Christmas for New Years Eve.

deck 8 aft has a noise problem with Spinnakers lounge under there .:(

Dawn just got tons of new carpeting .

The theater was upgraded with all new upholstery .

New coffee machines in the buffet ( that make a 1/2 decent cup of joe ).

New chairs in the buffet that don't hold water from wet swimsuits .

Juice machines now have flavored waters.

Promenade deck was refinished and murals repainted too .

New menus in the Mdrs

Etc.

She's in pretty good shape . :)

Did you notice if they have added the new wine dispensing machines? Loved

them on the Breakaway.

We have sailed on the Dream and the Dawn. Both were great. In my opinion, kids would like the Dream better, but if you don't have kids with you then go for the Dawn if you like the itinerary better.

4 teenage boys.

Ages.... 14, 16, 17 and 18.

I have sailed both the Dawn (2 times in last 3 years) and the Carnival Dream (1 time when she was only 5 months old).

I personally like the Dawn more, but your kids will most likely favor the Carnival Dream.

Dawn has much more dinning options, most for extra fee (I am alright with that).

Nothing on Carnival can compare to NCL suite experience, or so I hear.

The Carnival Dream has nice waterslides and also a good sandwich bar at the stern plus a pasta bar onboard.

Any way you choose, you most likely will have a wonderful time.

Edited by NH Cruisers

We did the Carnival Sunshine last year and since my wife liked the itinerary better on the Dawn..... We just booked two cabins on the Dawn.

We wanted a big suite but they were all sold out. We never plan very well. We like connecting rooms. The only 2 connecting rooms they had left was 5102 and 5106. Any problems with those rooms?

We did the Carnival Sunshine last year and since my wife liked the itinerary better on the Dawn..... We just booked two cabins on the Dawn.

We wanted a big suite but they were all sold out. We never plan very well. We like connecting rooms. The only 2 connecting rooms they had left was 5102 and 5106. Any problems with those rooms?

I'd be happy there.:D

Low and midship gives the best ride on the ship if the waves kick up .:)