Costa Rica

hurricanefly

We are travelling from Ireland to a wedding in Costa Rica from 19th-24th Feb 2015 and we wondering if we could tie in a cruise while in that part of the world.

Is anybody aware of any cruises that depart or stop off in Costa Rica at that time of year?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your responses but apologies for not acknowledging same , as I have been away for past 10 days and not looking at forum. Just to clarify dates--wedding will be from 19th-24th Feb but we were hoping to extend our stay either pre/post wedding and take a cruise in either Panama Canal or Caribbean. From limited research undertaken, only dates which would suit would be cruises departing on either 7/8th or 28th, thus necessitating additional stays in Costa Rica or Fort Lauderdale and extra expense.

I hadn't heard of Windstar cruises before but initial reaction is that they are expensive. However, I will contact them to see what price includes. I had looked at cruises from Fort Lauderdale to the Caribbean and Panama Canal. I would welcome any feedback on which part of Caribbean is best to visit, east/west, etc. I have heard that most of the islands visited are very similar.

I also looked at 11 day Coral Princess Panama Canal cruise departing Fort Lauderdale on 27th Feb but prices of oceanview cabins have increased significantly in past few weeks.

Our other alternative would be to do an inland tour of Costa Rica. However, our dates do not tie in neatly with any organised group and the alternative would appear to be an independent tour, in other words be driven around by a non English speaking driver. This does not appeal to my wife as it would would involve considerable time in car, on I suspect poor roads.

I would welcome any feedback on any of the above based on your personal experience.

Thanks again for your responses to date.

Check out Caravan.com for a bus tour of Costa Rica (and other places, as well). We've used them twice, once for a tour of the U.S. west and once for Costa Rica and highly recommend them. English speaking tour guides in Costa Rica (ours was a U.S. expat). One or two buses start the tour in San Jose (C.R.) every day of the year. I assume they will let you book from overseas, but you'll have to call them as they don't book online. Prices include everything except airfare and tips for tour guide and driver.

Art

• 3 weeks later...

I just want to add that the roads I went on were actually quite good. On the same cruise I went to Belize, Colombia and Panama and the roads I went on Costa Rica were very good.

Thanks for your responses but apologies for not acknowledging same , as I have been away for past 10 days and not looking at forum. Just to clarify dates--wedding will be from 19th-24th Feb but we were hoping to extend our stay either pre/post wedding and take a cruise in either Panama Canal or Caribbean. From limited research undertaken, only dates which would suit would be cruises departing on either 7/8th or 28th, thus necessitating additional stays in Costa Rica or Fort Lauderdale and extra expense.

I hadn't heard of Windstar cruises before but initial reaction is that they are expensive. However, I will contact them to see what price includes. I had looked at cruises from Fort Lauderdale to the Caribbean and Panama Canal. I would welcome any feedback on which part of Caribbean is best to visit, east/west, etc. I have heard that most of the islands visited are very similar.

I also looked at 11 day Coral Princess Panama Canal cruise departing Fort Lauderdale on 27th Feb but prices of oceanview cabins have increased significantly in past few weeks.

Our other alternative would be to do an inland tour of Costa Rica. However, our dates do not tie in neatly with any organised group and the alternative would appear to be an independent tour, in other words be driven around by a non English speaking driver. This does not appeal to my wife as it would would involve considerable time in car, on I suspect poor roads.

I would welcome any feedback on any of the above based on your personal experience.

Thanks again for your responses to date.