what type of cabin did you wind up having if you booked an inside guarantee?

beachchairs2

If you have been assigned a specific inside cabin, and know the cabin number, then you no longer have a guarantee, you have a solid reservation for that cabin as if you picked it yourself at the time of booking. Your guarantee to get a cabin if one became available has been fulfilled. You are now in the same position as everyone else who has a definite reservation for a specific cabin...you may get an upsell offer IF there are others on an inside guarantee who have not yet been assigned a specific cabin and IF there are available cabins in a higher category.

If you have NOT yet received a specific cabin number, your guarantee status is still in effect. If you receive an upSELL offer, and want to gamble on a possible upgrade, remind them you are guaranteed at least an inside, and gently refuse the upsell. Sooner or later they will either entice someone else to buy out of their inside and give it to you, or they will have to give you a complimentary upgrade. You are guaranteed AT LEAST an inside; if none are available they have to give you something better.

The worst that could happen is you get exactly the level for which you paid, but you might "win" an upgrade.

we are still in our inside guarantee cabin as assigned to us..it was assigned only a few weeks after we booked, even though there was still more than a year to go...... now there are 2 months to go before the cruise....no upgrades and no upsells have been offered to us....

this is our first O cruise, but have done over 45 with celebrity...where we are quite used to booking a guarantee and getting something quite wonderful....their policy is that you get the best available at time of sailing...

this will be our first time in an inside cabin in many, many years...not at all a problem but I had misunderstood what a guarantee means on O....it means exactly that, you are guaranteed what you have paid for and nothing more....others had misled me into thinking that there would be NO way O would leave first timers in an inside, that they would do all they could to lure us away from Celebrity....

obviously not.....

If one does a search regarding guarantee cabin threads on the Celebrity board, they will find cruisers saying the same thing about booking guarantee cabins on Celebrity....only do it if you will be happy with the worst cabin in the class.

....others had misled me into thinking that there would be NO way O would leave first timers in an inside, that they would do all they could to lure us away from Celebrity....

obviously not.....

Whoever said that is just very misinformed..no one at O looks to see if you are a first

time cruiser or what line you cruised on..

Jancruz1

jan, I understand that now....

someone else here thinks I am whining and that it may pay off...I am not and I dont think so....

as for celebrity, can only speak for myself...we have done over 45 cruises with that line...many of them the cheapest, lowest guarantees...have always been pleasantly surprised....

so now about the whining.......

has this worked for anyone else?

and where did you do your whining? surely not here!

If you want a better cabin Cat why not get your TA to check if you can upgrade for a small fee

If you inside Cat is sold out or w/l you have a good chance of moving up ;)

lets just say, next time we will deal with a different agent....

ours is too busy to bother with all this nonsense....

Perhaps a call to the ASTA, or just the threat of doing so, might generate some renewed interest in your reservation?:rolleyes:

lets just say, next time we will deal with a different agent....

ours is too busy to bother with all this nonsense....

In the future, book the cabin you want rather than the wishful thinking of an up grade cabin. We find this strategy works very well.

Edited by orchestrapal

Remember, the trade off is, as long ss you hold a guaratee, you will NEVER be bumped off your booking. You WILL get a cabin, at least in the category you are guaranteed ( if you time it right, which is often a matter of luck, you can get a guarantee in any category, as long as you pay for that category). If there are no cabins in your guaranteed category, Oceania will move heaven and earth to open one up for you. However, typically this will mean they offer incentives to others, who booked long before you, to move up, or even move to a different, usually better, cruise.

Once you understand the basic ethics of Oceania, you will likely agree it's better to reward the folks who booked early and paid full price, rather than those who came to the party late enough to get a guarantee.

If there were cabins available at the time you booked but you chose to gamble with a guarantee, this is a valuable lesson that Oceania has regard for those who supported them early with a definite choice. A good TA would have advised you better. If your TA can't be bothered, it's time to hunt for a better TA.

It appears this wasn't your fault; you were misled. My remarks are intended to be friendly help and if they sound critical, I'm sorry :o.

I hope you will learn to enjoy Oceania as much as many of the rest of us.

Edited by hondorner

thank you for all the advice...

we booked an inside guarantee a year and a half in advance..within 2 weeks we were assigned an inside cabin....

O has had our hefty deposit all that time....so we are the ones that have booked right at the beginning...not at all late comers to the ball....

I am learning that on O booking a guarantee that early does not mean anything...in fact it is stupid....

O is different than celeb, on celeb when you book a guarantee early, you are among the first to get the best available at the time of sailing...yes if very little is available you get whatever there is...but we have always been pleasantly surprised....and I think the reason for that is the early booking...and maybe the fact that we have sailed with them over 45 times ....

the advice I got to book on the opening day and have O keep our huge deposit for a year and a half, was just plain wrong, as I am beginning to find out...

but someone said that whining might help...well I am sure whining...

Edited by beachchairs2

We booked a ocean view guarantee twice. Once got up sell to A1 cat for 200pp, next got up sell to B1 for 300pp. This was on Riviera so I would of been happy to keep OV both were booked around a year out

I was quite happy with the outcome. It all depends how well the trip is selling IMO.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

the advice I got to book on the opening day and have O keep our huge deposit for a year and a half, was just plain wrong, as I am beginning to find out...

but someone said that whining might help...well I am sure whining...

What HUGE deposit did you make ??

Most of us put the $1500 down so it has many people's deposits well in advance

We do not mind as we book the cabin we will like ..if we get an upsell or upgrade it is good news

FDR has been busy lately so maybe the whining will not pay off like it has in the past for some ;)

I would just enjoy the cruise & should you decide to book again ...pick a cabin you will like the location of

Lyn

our deposits were $900 pp....that is huge....have never given that kind of deposit....

as I said, we paid for an inside guarantee.....on the first day of sales....and were given an inside cabin almost right away....

we were surprised at the speed that was done....

the category we paid for , much later became available to anyone....as those who also grabbed it the first day, may have been moved up...leaving these to be sold again....so we could have booked cat F much later....as late as last month and not have put out that kind of money so long ago....

since they have held our deposit for so long...and yes a huge deposit....I feel we should be contacted with some kind of upsell....and maybe we will be...it is still 2 months to go....it is the lisbon to rio in november...

yes I am sure we will enjoy ourselves....no matter what cabin...

and yes have learned for next time....not to rush, no need to grab anything first day.....just wait...and see...nice and easy....

our deposits were $900 pp....that is huge....have never given that kind of deposit....

as I said, we paid for an inside guarantee.....on the first day of sales....and were given an inside cabin almost right away....

we were surprised at the speed that was done....

the category we paid for , much later became available to anyone....as those who also grabbed it the first day, may have been moved up...leaving these to be sold again....so we could have booked cat F much later....as late as last month and not have put out that kind of money so long ago....

since they have held our deposit for so long...and yes a huge deposit....I feel we should be contacted with some kind of upsell....and maybe we will be...it is still 2 months to go....it is the lisbon to rio in november...

yes I am sure we will enjoy ourselves....no matter what cabin...

and yes have learned for next time....not to rush, no need to grab anything first day.....just wait...and see...nice and easy....

Something is wrong as Oceania does not take that big a deposit on an inside the most they take is $750 pp

Jancruz1

Are you outside of North America?

I agree with Jan that does not sound right

Deposits are only $750 PP for North Americans

You can check the T & C in the brochure or online

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/corporate/legal/termsconditions.aspx

Deposit & Payment Policy

Bookings require a per person deposit of 20% of the applicable fare for Owner’s, Vista, and Oceania Suites and $750 for all other suite/stateroom categories; for Grand Voyages the per person deposit is $1,500. Bookings must deposit within 7 days of booking for bookings made more than 120 days from sailing, within 3 days of booking for bookings made between 91 and 120 days from sailing, and by the end of the booking day for bookings within 90 days of sailing.

well now I did something else, which also may be stupid...but we will see....

the lowest cat G came up as a guarantee....so I called and gave up my assigned inside cabin and took a guarantee....whats the worst I can do....the cat G are mid ship.....I had an inside and if I get an inside then all is the same...but if they cant guarantee it then maybe, just maybe I will get an offer of something better...

I know most of you must be tired of this insignificant issue...just disregard it, if that is the case....

well now I did something else, which also may be stupid...but we will see....

the lowest cat G came up as a guarantee....so I called and gave up my assigned inside cabin and took a guarantee....whats the worst I can do....the cat G are mid ship.....I had an inside and if I get an inside then all is the same...but if they cant guarantee it then maybe, just maybe I will get an offer of something better...

I know most of you must be tired of this insignificant issue...just disregard it, if that is the case....

Why not just ask how much $$ to get the cabin you really want ??

You might be surprised

The GTY do not work the same as on other lines ...

You may get lucky or you may just get another inside cabin in a G cat

seems like a waste of time to me

YMMV

You wanted a better cabin, so you called and changed to a lessen/cheaper cabin? Not sure I understand your method.

there is no difference between cat F or G except in location and price...the cheaper cat is more central...but both are inside...so now I have a guarantee, so the worst I can do it get back the inside I gave up....

I think....