Short Time in Port...Making the Most of it...

violetsmile

We're on the Carnival Ecstasy, and our time in KW is just too short--7:30-1:30!

We knew this going in, and decided we wouldn't really book anything, and would just wander around. We've been to Key West before, and both parasailed and snorkeled in addition to the conch fritters and key lime pie and finding Cuban food. We're not into shopping, although we'll pick up a few little things, and we're not ones to bar hop, really.

I'm starting to "worry" that we'll get there, and all we'll want is to be out on/in the gorgeous water instead of being on land (I say worry loosely--we'll have fun no matter what). Honestly, we'd be happy just to sit on a boat that tooled around going nowhere--we just love being on the water and seeing the sights. We probably would have scheduled a snorkel trip with Fury if it wouldn't have taken up the entire day. I considered parasailing again, but it's a bit pricey, and on our last experience the entire trip was only about 30 minutes because we were the only people out. If there had been another group, and we could have been out on the water longer for the price, it would have been more worth it to us.

Outside of the big company tours, are there are any smaller outfits where we could maybe rent kayaks for an hour or two, or something similar? We're pretty active, and wouldn't mind something more adventurous--it just needs to be short.

Any "off the beaten path" type suggestions that might get us on or in the water without killing the entire day?

Take a look at what Lazy Dog has to offer, both kayak rentals but better, one of their tours. Two hours long and they will pick you up.

http://lazydog.com/

Pjk

That's a great idea--thanks! They look like a great company, and I can totally see us doing that. The only downside I see is that it looks like their tour times are set--9AM is the only option while we're in port. Do you know of any other similar activities that are a little more flexible or take "walk ins," based on people operating on a whim? :rolleyes: I'm usually way more of a planner (I have a Binder of Fun, for goodness sake!), but I'm feeling a little more spontaneous about keeping our options open in KW this time.

If it's a viable alternative, contact SUP (Stand-Up Paddleboard) Key West and tell them your situation. They will tailor a tour for you the accommodates your time-slot, and they, too, will pick you.

http://www.supkeywest.com/SUP_Key_West/Home.html

If this doesn't pan out either, come back and we will keep searching.

Pjk