Are there tours that go to Bathsheba?

blessedwith12

I will be visiting Barbados in 2016 with 4 of my daughters. We all love the looks of Bathsheba but I'm wondering if there is enough to do there to stay the whole day. Do you know of any snorkeling tours or catamarans that visit Bathsheba? Is this an area I will feel safe in with all females? We are beach lovers and I know we can't swim at Bathsheba so any other suggestions on how we can spend our day and still see Bathsheba would be appreciated. Thanks!

I will be visiting Barbados in 2016 with 4 of my daughters. We all love the looks of Bathsheba but I'm wondering if there is enough to do there to stay the whole day. Do you know of any snorkeling tours or catamarans that visit Bathsheba? Is this an area I will feel safe in with all females? We are beach lovers and I know we can't swim at Bathsheba so any other suggestions on how we can spend our day and still see Bathsheba would be appreciated. Thanks!

We have visited Barbados a number of times and there is so much to see and do, including gardens, historical sites, beautiful beaches, etc. Bathsheba is a nice place to see for a short scenic stop on a tour, but it is not a place to stay the whole day. Are your daughters children or adults and what are some of your interests? This information would help people offer some suggestions of things to do.

We have arranged private tours in the past through Glory Tours and we also used Cameron Reid (http://www.cameronbarbadostours.com).

If you're interested in snorkeling and catamarans (not off the coast of Bathsheba), we have done Silvermoon and Calabaza, which we enjoyed and there are other companies as well.

I'd be happy to answer any questions that you may have.

Mary

Edited by marys350
add info.

We have visited Barbados a number of times and there is so much to see and do, including gardens, historical sites, beautiful beaches, etc. Bathsheba is a nice place to see for a short scenic stop on a tour, but it is not a place to stay the whole day. Are your daughters children or adults and what are some of your interests? This information would help people offer some suggestions of things to do.

We have arranged private tours in the past through Glory Tours and we also used Cameron Reid (http://www.cameronbarbadostours.com).

If you're interested in snorkeling and catamarans (not off the coast of Bathsheba), we have done Silvermoon and Calabaza, which we enjoyed and there are other companies as well.

I'd be happy to answer any questions that you may have.

Mary

Mary, we're sailing on Celebrity Eclipse in January and it's our first time in southern caribbean too. I've checked on ship excursions but I can't find one that does what we want to do! We'll have 9 hours, we're 4 adults and we want to see the Andromeda Botanic Gardens; Sunbury Plantation, Harrison's Cave, and a photo stop at the windward coast. Is that doable in 9 hours? I've contacted Sun Tours but would also be interested in company you used. Can you give me a ballpark figure as to cost? Thank you.

Mary, we're sailing on Celebrity Eclipse in January and it's our first time in southern caribbean too. I've checked on ship excursions but I can't find one that does what we want to do! We'll have 9 hours, we're 4 adults and we want to see the Andromeda Botanic Gardens; Sunbury Plantation, Harrison's Cave, and a photo stop at the windward coast. Is that doable in 9 hours? I've contacted Sun Tours but would also be interested in company you used. Can you give me a ballpark figure as to cost? Thank you.

Hydrokitty,

I'm not sure, but I think that visiting Andromeda Gardens, Sunbury Plantation, Harrison's Cave, and a photo stop at the windward coast (Bathsheba?) may be rushed and not enough time to enjoy each site at a relaxed pace. You would also need to allow time for lunch, too. I have not been to Harrison Caves, but I think that it is at least an hour tour and that the waiting lines to get in are sometimes long, especially once large tour buses start to arrive. People recommend visiting the caves first thing in the morning before visiting other sites.

In April,2012, we did the "Little England" tour with Glory tours, which is a 1/2 day tour to Hunte's Gardens, Bathsheba, Morgan Lewis Windmill, Cherry Tree Hill, and St. Nicholas Abbey (current price of that tour is listed as $74 per person U.S. dollars, including all admission fees). Hunte's Gardens and St. Nicholas Abbey are highly rated on Tripadvisor.

In April,2014, our party of four adults did a 4 hour custom tour with Cameron Reid (http://www.cameronbarbadostours.com). We paid a total of $140.00 U.S. dollars for the tour plus the cost of admission to each of the sites that we visited:Flower Forest($12 U.S. dollars per person), Bathsheba (free), St. John's Church (free admission/voluntary donation), and a brief stop at Rockley Beach. I'd suggest e-mailing Cameron about your proposed plans. I'm sure that he'd let you know if it was doable and would give you a fair hourly price. His e-mail address is listed on his website. Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Enjoy your day in Barbados!

Mary

• 2 weeks later...

Even if you are young and prone to sun exposure, Barbados has so much to offer that this is not your typical beach port (even if your vacation is an escape from frigid climes). Read up on history and select a tour with some variety (tripadvisor is a great efficient resource). To give you some idea, visit the Glory Tours web site and explore options (we have used them for our last two port visits in Barbados).

DJ:)

Thanks for all of the information so far! My daughters will be 16-25. Barbados is our "bonus" port in some ways. I booked this cruise mainly for St. Kitts, St. Lucia and St. Martin - which I had already been to. I knew nothing about Barbados so this will be fun to explore Barbados!

Thanks for all of the information so far! My daughters will be 16-25. Barbados is our "bonus" port in some ways. I booked this cruise mainly for St. Kitts, St. Lucia and St. Martin - which I had already been to. I knew nothing about Barbados so this will be fun to explore Barbados!

If you want to do a brief scenic tour of Barbados, including Bathsheba, and then spend some time at a beach with the opportunity to snorkel and swim with the turtles without doing an expensive catamaran trip, you might want to consider the suggestion of two posters from Barbados in the following thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2079472

Also check out "The Boatyard" for information about this popular beach.

This may be the least expensive way to see some of the island and enjoy beach time.

Edited by marys350

• 1 month later...

We took the bus to Bathsheba, I believe they wanted 80$ for a taxi there and back, staying for only about 20 minutes. We have been there several times and are very comfortable taking the bus. Make sure you go to the right bus station, they will drop you off at the beach then the bus will swing by in an hour. Be waiting, we missed the first bus because he didn't stop he only paused. When we took the bus back we went to Carlisle for swimming with the turtles and beach time. The bus ride in itself is a fun adventure. Just give yourself a lot of time to get back.

We felt safe, and you will in too, esp in a group. The only time if felt harassed or stressed is when we were walking out of the port and the taxi drivers were harassing us pretty badly. Following us, yelling etc.

Thanks for the information. I am comfortable doing independent excursions and taking taxis. Taking a bus would be a new experience, though :) I took a water taxi in Belize and almost missed the ship! But it sounds perfect! We could do Bathsheba cheaply and still have time to be at another beach. How long is the bus ride and what do you mean about going to the right bus?

How long is the bus ride and what do you mean about going to the right bus?

I can answer this by telling a story that makes me look like an idiot.

First of all, the bus takes maybe 30-40 minutes. Depends on stops and traffic.

As far as the right bus, here's the story. You want to return to "Kingstown". I went to Barbados last year, took the bus (along with about 15,000 cheerful schoolkids), had a nice time at the huge scenic rocks along Bathsheba and Cattlewash.

On returning I saw the letters "...town" on a bus and got on. As it was ready to pull out I happened to see another bus pull in. Its label said "Kingstown". Figuring it was unlikely that there were two Kingstown buses I got off, saw that my bus was actually "Speightstown", and got on the correct one, which left within 60 seconds. So I was that close to becoming a Barbados citizen.

Oh my! You don't know how much I can relate to that story. My husband and I went to Belize and booked an excursion to Caye Caulker. After being in port for about 1 hour, the company we booked with canceled our excursion because the other ship in port was taking too long to disembark and they wouldn't do the tour for the 4 of us who were there. We decided to take the water taxi to Caye Caulker on our own. While we were out at Caye Caulker, bad weather rolled in - the front edge of tropical storm Ida. We had a "taxi" - golf cart - take us back to the water taxi dock about 10 minutes before it was due to leave. No one else was waiting for the taxi. We finally approached the counter and asked where the taxi was. We were at the wrong dock and our water taxi had just left! This dock's water taxi wouldn't be leaving in time to get us to our ship. To make a long story short - we had to find someone who could take us back to the ship. We made it back to the ship later than the last tender was supposed to leave, but there was one tender still there and we made the ship. :) (The full story is in the Belize review link in my signature - and in hindsight I think the story is pretty funny!) So...that is why I have concerns about being on the right bus and by you sharing your story, I feel a little bit better about what NOT to do! Thanks!!

A few years ago I booked an excursion through the ship that included a shipwreck snorkel transported by speed boat and a jeep tour across the island to Bathsheba combined thru Celebrity. To this day it remains one of my most favorite excursions. It was a nice variety.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Skipper Vance does it all ,we went to St Nicholas abbey Bathsheba and animal flower caves all around and a great sea side bar one day and another day to swim with the turtles and he is private and small groups of 4 or even just a couple ,he is licensed and insured he sheet us his papers for bigger groups he hires vans and his boat can take 6 comfortably ,hope this is helpful,have a good one in Barbados