Total Solar Eclipse in 2016

You would think that major cruise lines would take advantage of this opportunity. Only HAL Volendam is available and the best cabins are already sold. At $3498 for inside cabin for 16 day cruise is not cheap but ports are good even if the weather could spoil the show.

Another option is Silversea Discoverer at US$15675 pp.

Celebrity, RCI and Princess are all in partial eclipse area but not making any effort to position for full solar eclipse. This would sell better then what they are selling now. Time to wake up.

You would think that major cruise lines would take advantage of this opportunity. Only HAL Volendam is available and the best cabins are already sold. At $3498 for inside cabin for 16 day cruise is not cheap but ports are good even if the weather could spoil the show.

Another option is Silversea Discoverer at US$15675 pp.

Celebrity, RCI and Princess are all in partial eclipse area but not making any effort to position for full solar eclipse. This would sell better then what they are selling now. Time to wake up.

We cruised on Dawn Princess in 2012 off Port Douglas and experienced the full eclipse. Due to the positive experience, we are booked on the Sea Princess which is advertised as being at the solar eclipse position in the Java Sea on the 9 Mar 15. I realise that it is the wet season in that area at that time of the year and it is unlikely we will see the eclipse due to cloud cover. Where is your reference to the fact that the Sea Princess will be at a partial eclipse position and not the total eclipse position? I will be @*$*! if we are not at the Total Eclipse position.

Edited by By The Bay

We cruised on Dawn Princess in 2012 off Port Douglas and experienced the full eclipse. Due to the positive experience, we are booked on the Sea Princess which is advertised as being at the solar eclipse position in the Java Sea on the 9 Mar 15. I realise that it is the wet season in that area at that time of the year and it is unlikely we will see the eclipse due to cloud cover. Where is your reference to the fact that the Sea Princess will be at a partial eclipse position and not the total eclipse position? I will be @*$*! if we are not at the Total Eclipse position.
Double trouble.:o Edited by By The Bay

You are correct. Sea princess is in the eclipse position on its 42 day cruise. We were on Oosterdam in 2012 and it was wonderfull experience worth doing again but 42 days is just to long for me.

• 1 month later...

We were on Carnival Spirit in 2012 for the eclipse. Surprisingly Carnival didn't know about it, or announce it or even put it in the daily. Thankfully someone on our roll call mentioned it prior to leaving and that's how we even knew what was happening when all went eerie.

Here is a map of the Solar Eclipse track from NASA.

2016%20Solar%20eclipse%20Map_zpsfsyk6s4d.jpg

You are correct. The itinerary of this cruise was planned to coincide with the total solar eclipse. Duration is predicted to be 2 minutes 17 seconds with the sun 23 degrees high in the sky. The sun will be higher in the sky than for the Port Douglas eclipse where first contact was at 2 degrees. Mid eclipse was at 14 degrees with 2minutes 05 duration of totality in North Queensland.

Further east (south of Guam) totality will be around 4 minutes.

The only concern is cloud.

Edited by Aus Traveller