From Newark to Downtown Mid-Mathattan?

Janet19

What is the best transportation from the Newark Airport to the pier in Mathattan?

Cab? How Long? How much?

Other? Cost?

TIA~

It's about $35.00 - $40.00 plus tip for a cab into Manhattan. Your other option would be to get to Newark Penn Station and take a path train into Manhattan. You can check Newark Liberty International Airport for more information.

http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTravel/airports/html/newarkliberty.html

More like $70-100 from EWR to Manhattan. NJ cab drivers DO NOT have to take you to Manhattan (most will, though). And since the interstate rules DO NOT allow NJ cab drivers to pick up fares in Manhattan, you will pay the fare both ways, even though you are only going one way.

There are shuttle services and car services, as well as the train. A lot depends on how much luggage you have. Not a lot of room on the train if it is crowded to take 3/4 suitcases.

Define best. Do you mean cheapest, safest or most convenient?

The Path is the cheapest: $1.50 pp from Newark Penn Station to NY Penn Station, then take a cab to the port. You can get an Airlink shuttle from the AP / EWR to Newark Penn Station for $5 pp (I think -- haven't checked the price in a while).

Car service / tax is probably safest & most convenient.

You should budget at least an hour b/c traffic is hit or miss.

It's about $35.00 - $40.00 plus tip for a cab into Manhattan. Your other option would be to get to Newark Penn Station and take a path train into Manhattan. You can check Newark Liberty International Airport for more information.

http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTravel/airports/html/newarkliberty.html

Take the airtran to the NJ Transit platform. This will take you right into Penn Station (New York). Don't get off in Newark Penn station nor take the Path train. The pier is well north of where the Path train will let you off, and is a short taxi ride from Penn station NY.

Define best. Do you mean cheapest, safest or most convenient?

The Path is the cheapest: $1.50 pp from Newark Penn Station to NY Penn Station, then take a cab to the port. You can get an Airlink shuttle from the AP / EWR to Newark Penn Station for $5 pp (I think -- haven't checked the price in a while).

Car service / tax is probably safest & most convenient.

You should budget at least an hour b/c traffic is hit or miss.

Again -- you don't want the Path train. It takes you to the World Trade Center site, which is at the southern tip of Manhattan. If you take airtran, get on the next NJ Transit train going north and stay on until the end. That will be Penn Station.

Use a car service. I've always used Carmel and have had good experiences.

Thanks for the reassurance BlueHerons...this coastal South Carolinian was scared after reading a bad review of Carmel. I have booked them for our September 15th Victory Cruise, to pick us up from LGA.

We're using Super Shuttle, it's $19.00 per person to Mid Town Manhattan. Here's the link:

http://www.supershuttle.com/

If you want your own van it's $115.00 plus grat.

Have a great trip!

Fisherwoman

:)

NO!!

Super Shuttle is a disaster from the greater NYC airports. If you have two people, for a couple bucks more you can get a private car. For three or more people it is more expensive.

Car service is undoubtedly the best way to do it. Taking the airtran to the train to Penn Station and then cabbing it to the pier with all the luggage is such a pain and will take way too long. The super shuttle is ok, but it's a shared van and you can make lots of stops and if the van is crowded then it's a problem with luggage. A yellow cab is a fortune because you have to pay double the tolls and it's a metered ride so it will cost you AT LEAST $70, probably more. Car service will cost about $46 plus I think $8 tolls plus tip, but so worth it. Whatever car service you decide to use (if you do), check out their website because they always offer coupons.

BTW, I live in Manhattan and always fly out of Newark. When I have lots of luggage, I do car service. I only use the shuttle vans (BlueVan or AirLink) when I have limited amounts of luggage and don't care about time.

Archived